Keeping pole sections clean

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Mine get covered in a mix of fish slime and sweetcorn juice. Do you wipe them down at the end of a session, if so what with and how, or do you wait till you get home?

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
I keep my hands clean with a lap towel. Never had an issue with muck on the pole from my hands. But then perhaps I don't catch that many fish to get my hands slimy.

I always rinse the juice from sweetcorn and handle fish very little. Perhaps that explains it.

lliopp

Site Supporter
I clean my pole whenever it suits. It could be in the shower or just a rub with baby wipes.

cockneybob

CockneyBob
Site Supporter
After fishing I always clean my pole with wipes and a clean dry cloth before putting the sections away only takes a few minutes, the pole is 9 years old and still looks as good as new

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Shower now and again. However I dont touch fish if I can help it, disgorger in landing net.

carpole

Don't know wether it's the right thing to do but use car wax every now and again ships in and out a lot easier also stops a lot of groundball and sweet corn sticking as much just wipes of with a damp cloth.Use car wax not polish it got abrasive in it.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not quite sure I understand the corn juice on sections. I can get thru 20 tins in a session and don't have a problem

Maybe it's just the fish slime. I tend to use the sweetcorn juice to soak my pellets when I can.

Good to see I'm not the only messy one. Cleaned my pole today at home and thought maybe I should be getting some wipes or something before I pack it away.

GeoffW

Site Supporter
I only have a problem when using sloppy paste. I get it on my hands and pole sections. At the end of the session I wipe everything off with a wet bar towel, but if I miss anything, the pole sections come out with mould on at the next session.

Expanda

After every session (and especially after paste) I wash sections and top kits in soapy water then wipe down with cloth with a bit of car wash on. A bit OTT I know?

BTMS

Site Supporter
Almost every time I go...…………… I don't do it Mrs does it because I was not doing it properly;)

Fred Davis

Clean the pole if I have used groundbait meat or corn, or have been catching lots of silver fish as the slime and residue can be a nightmare for efficient shipping on your next session, as I like a nice clean pole as it seems to go through the hands better, also same with my gear like everything to be working well and be clean and efficient, I am certain this ends up with catching more fish at the end of the day.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
The cork handles on my rod get absolutely filthy but strangely my pole sections don’t seem to suffer the same problem.

richox12

Just wipe with wet cloth after the session if you've been busy enough to warrant it. It's not science