Keeping maggots cool on holiday

corkycat

What is a good way to keep my maggots cool when I am away on a fishing holiday? In Ireland it isn't a problem because all the accommodations have bait storage facilities (some good, some not so good). However as I'm not able to go to Ireland this year I will be doing my natural venue fishing in the UK. The problem is that hotels and guest houses are unable to provide such storage facilities. Has anyone any ideas on how to keep maggots in good nick for a few days and nights?

MartinWY

Site Supporter
What is a good way to keep my maggots cool when I am away on a fishing holiday? In Ireland it isn't a problem because all the accommodations have bait storage facilities (some good, some not so good). However as I'm not able to go to Ireland this year I will be doing my natural venue fishing in the UK. The problem is that hotels and guest houses are unable to provide such storage facilities. Has anyone any ideas on how to keep maggots in good nick for a few days and nights?
Just to reiterate what others have said, the 12v fridges seem to work OK. We've lasted 2 weeks camping on one of those, without dying from using the bacon. I'd suggest looking in Decathlon for such an item, it's usually good stuff and generally better priced than your typical outdoor retailers.

dave brittain 1

Site Supporter
Rather than keeping them in an open container I'd be tempted to bag them in 2 pint bags, squeeze all of the air out and keep them in a cool box with plenty frozen cool blocks. Only take them out and open them as needed, opening them 2-3 hrs before fishing should see them fully revived even when kept for several days. If you can get a plug in cooler all the better, just bag them again after use.

One other tip is keep a bag of maize so you can riddle and clean them to keep them in tip top condition.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I just put mine in a load of maize and in a cool box. Our cool box isn’t the best. These 2 pints I took this week on holiday we’re just for tipping off the worm on the hook so didn’t need many but they all turned to casters! Slung then today and need to buy another half pint down here for Thursday now.