Keeping dead maggots.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I always end up with a couple of pints left over. My old way was to freeze them. When they defrosted they always looked manky. An old boy told me he never freezes them. When he gets home he cleans off as much maize as possible and stores them in a sealed bucket. Personally, l've kept maggot like this for 3 weeks. In the photos you can see a white and red mix frozen on sunday and taken out last night and 2 pints of reds drowned on sunday night. To me they stay plumper and retain a more vivid colour. IMG_20200821_111922.jpg IMG_20200821_111934.jpg IMG_20200821_111927.jpg IMG_20200821_111938.jpg

carphauler

Roachhauler
When I was fishing matches some of the blokes would use dead maggots from the freezer then refreeze them for the following weekend and so on, adding more as they ran out. The resultant mix was rank and it stunk, they caught plenty on them though.

Rick123

Site Supporter
If you riddle off all the maize would they not sweat and become greasy, ah!

Silver fan 82

I always end up with a couple of pints left over. My old way was to freeze them. When they defrosted they always looked manky. An old boy told me he never freezes them. When he gets home he cleans off as much maize as possible and stores them in a sealed bucket. Personally, l've kept maggot like this for 3 weeks. In the photos you can see a white and red mix frozen on sunday and taken out last night and 2 pints of reds drowned on sunday night. To me they stay plumper and retain a more vivid colour. View attachment 39914 View attachment 39915 View attachment 39916 View attachment 39917
I always freeze mine but yours look better @Godber. How long would they last in the airtight bucket?

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
The reason frozen maggots defrost badly is because they do not freeze fast enough.

A domestic freezer maintains a temperature of only just below freezing. This means that freezing food at home is not as successful as a commercial operation that uses a blast freezer at much lower temperatures. This is why if you freeze strawberries they defrost as mush. The scientific explanation is that freezing slowly allows the ice crystals to grow too large and these destroy the internal structures of the maggot. Faster freezing creates much smaller crystals that do less internal damage.

The solution is to freeze in small batches and make sure you place the batches either on a fast freeze tray or directly on the coolant channels of the freezer. And it can also help to refrigerate first so the starting temperature is closer to freezing and hence the maggots freeze faster.

John Step

Site Supporter
When I was fishing matches some of the blokes would use dead maggots from the freezer then refreeze them for the following weekend and so on, adding more as they ran out. The resultant mix was rank and it stunk, they caught plenty on them though.
Me too! 20 Miles each way to bait shop. I catch on them OK. My thinking ids that if fish grub about in rank mud and gunk on the bottom to find food then they aint that fussy. Makes one wonder of the value of all those tasty smelling boilies and other aditives sold to catch the angler not the fish?

Silver fan 82

Me too! 20 Miles each way to bait shop. I catch on them OK. My thinking ids that if fish grub about in rank mud and gunk on the bottom to find food then they aint that fussy. Makes one wonder of the value of all those tasty smelling boilies and other aditives sold to catch the angler not the fish?
I genuinely think alot of bait is to catch the angler TBH. Not to say they don't work but "a bait in the right place".

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I have a couple of large vacuum tubs. I riddle any rubbish away then put in a tub (each takes 1 pint) pump all air out and pop in the freezer they last well for a couple of months. Defrost in water as it's air that causes them to go foul.

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
I have a couple of large vacuum tubs. I riddle any rubbish away then put in a tub (each takes 1 pint) pump all air out and pop in the freezer they last well for a couple of months. Defrost in water as it's air that causes them to go foul.
There you go, another very useful tip to know👍

Rick123

Site Supporter
My maggot farm sells them frozen, do you just take them out and put them in water to thaw them out. Some deads I've seen look great once unfrozen?

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
Use water myself ,as it stops them going black and nasty especially in the hot weather we have been having.