Keeping Carp out of the lillys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisharry

Iv not really fished for carp before, this was only the 2nd time.. The lake we went to had 3 carp pegs, all of them had lillys for half the swim so straight out in front of you to the right would be lillys to the left it would be clear.

The first time we went we were loosing fish in the lillys or it was snapping our 6lb reflo powerline. So for the 2nd fish I tried to get prepped up. I got some 5kg powerline [:0] (never ever used line that thick before) with the intention of holding the fish away from the lillys. I used a 6lb hooklength for the first 4 snaps and went to 11lb straight through.

I got two carp out, one was 9lb the other was just over 8lb but got snapped 6 times! Once it went into the lillys I lost the fish and then snapped trying to get my hook out the lillys. But the rest were snapped with the fish on.

I wasnt bullying them in, was in no rush at all so dont know what I was doing wrong. Should it just be expected to loose fish when your next to lillys?

Any tips for when I go back there?

Cheers

Dagobert II

I'm far from being an expert but it takes a lot of force to break 6lb line its the strongest I ever use. I lose fish but rarely break off. Lillies are a curse but with balanced kit and patients you can often pull fish through.

The_Sogster

Stick and 'Pin
Were you using a rod or a pole?
I find when using a rod (don't own a pole) that instead of holding the rod high as I was taught as a kid, sinking the rod tip under the water when the fish is on can help. Don't be afraid to shove the rod as deep as you can, you will still keep a tight line to the fish and diferent angle often seems to confuse the fish. In effect you will be pulling down and away rather than up and away.
Hope this makes sense.

brummiefisher

11lb line with the drag locked up should be able to stop big fish,unless your fishing right in amongst the lillies.Ive seen people land
15lb+ carp on 4lb line on the pole.Just keep trying.

chrisharry

Originally posted by Dagobert II

I'm far from being an expert but it takes a lot of force to break 6lb line its the strongest I ever use. I lose fish but rarely break off. Lillies are a curse but with balanced kit and patients you can often pull fish through.

I havent used a line that strong before either, there are some big carp in there loads are double figures and a fair few grass carp too!

Originally posted by The_Sogster

Were you using a rod or a pole?
I find when using a rod (don't own a pole) that instead of holding the rod high as I was taught as a kid, sinking the rod tip under the water when the fish is on can help. Don't be afraid to shove the rod as deep as you can, you will still keep a tight line to the fish and diferent angle often seems to confuse the fish. In effect you will be pulling down and away rather than up and away.
Hope this makes sense.

Hi, yeah I was using a rod, towards the end I was starting to stick my rod under water hoping to keep the carp 'under' the lillys.. I managed to get one out of the lillys doing this, but as soon as it got to open water it just rocketed off and snapped.. could it just be that there big fish?

matty67

hablando espanol
As the sogster says, playing the fish with your rod right under the water, with plenty of side strain can help to pull the fish out from under the pads, be warned though, it can have the opposite effect where the fish will be forced up in the water.

jonesr

Strong ar'nt they[:H] The advice given is good advice.You'll never get 100% fishing by Lilies. [:C]

Dagobert II

You should not be snapping off in open water your rod and drag should protect your line.
I set my drag for the strength of line not the size of fish at the start of the session then dont touch it, if extra pressure needed I just hold the spool. Best feeling is when the fish is taking line in open water. Worst feeling is when they circle below the rod tip looking for snags

Last edited:

supersuperleeds

Rod tip into the water and just pull the opposite way to the lilies, you will surprise yourself on how much pressure you can apply. Most times you will turn the fish into open water. Once in open water don't bully them, let them run and only put on big pressure if they are going into a snag again.

If you have 11lb main line, then I would step the hook length up to 8lb. 11lb and 6lb is probably a bit unbalanced. As a general rule of thumb I try and fish the hook length as 75% strength of the main line.

chrisharry

You should not be snapping off in open water your rod and drag should protect your line.
I set my drag for the strength of line not the size of fish at the start of the session then dont touch it, if extra pressure needed I just hold the spool. Best feeling is when the fish is taking line in open water. Worst feeling is when they circle below the rod tip looking for snags

Surely haveing drag on will allow the fish to go straight into the lillys? I was just backwinding when they were in open water, perhaps thats where im going wrong?

codenamemilo

Originally posted by chrisharry

Surely haveing drag on will allow the fish to go straight into the lillys? I was just backwinding when they were in open water, perhaps thats where im going wrong?

Using the drag if set properly will make them fight for the line they gain, backwinding you just give it to them and they wont tire as quickly.

chrisharry

I guess my next question would be how to set the drag properly?

I suppose its different on every reel so will have to let you know what reel i have when i get back from work

codenamemilo

There will be a knob for the dra either at the back of the reel, or the disc on the top of the reel spool. You can tie the line to a post and bend into it replicating a fish, and then adjust the drag until it is giving line at what you judge to be a healthy bend in the rod proportional to the size of target fish, and then just fine tune from there when you actually get a fish on. With a bit of practice its easy to adjust the drag during a fight to tailor it to each fish and how it is fighting.

BarryC

You have to fish strong enough to hit and hold and stop them getting up a head of steam. Easier said than done with the bend in the rod and stretch in the line.
If you do fish heavy though and you do'nt stop them you now have the problem of a weeded up fish that you can't get out and line that wont break before wrecking the carp's mouth.
I would sooner fish lighter and lose a few so the fish just has a hook to shed or keep away from the lillies until later in the year when your line will pull through them.
You might manage to keep fish with decent looking mouths that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.