Keeping bread on the hook

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbracewell

How do others managed to keep a chunk of bread on the hook so that it looks like it will survive a gentle cast out?

I have tried pinching a flake to the hook and also threading the hook through a punched piece but the results never look like they will make it to the murky depths...

Cheers,

RoB

--
RoB

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
just take a flake of bread place the hook on top, fold the the bread and pinch the top part leaving the bottom part nice and fluffy, works all the time and can you on feeder etc as well!

Browning Hotrods 007.gif Browning JP Tackle 007.gif

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I tend to pinch mine on the line above the hook and then slide down onto the shank with the point of the hook facing away from the flake.
This always seems to work for me and when the bread swells up in the water the hook is never masked especially with the more doughy types.

Best bread I have found is Tesco's fresh bread, I think they call it a 'Tin Loaf' as it's square and has an even crust all around.

For deep water fishing use a steamed loaf as it'll hold better and also balance your wieght so that the bread doesn't get dragged to the bottom too quickly. This alone can cause it to break off [:)]

Dave
Datafile2.asp

Free MD's Stickers

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I wouldnt mind betting that the bread does stay on the hook but does in fact fall of as you retrieve it, giving the impression its come off earlier. Its a matter of faith.
I use bread flake regularly on the river and frequently have found it still on the hook after reeling in.

As stated before I fold it over the hook and pinch it to the shank. I also use the Drennen bread punches, the green oval type and again no problems. The cheap loaves do tend to be a bit"sticky" so I always buy the economy loaf.

chill out go fishing

Datafile2.asp

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i pinch the bread on the eye or the spade

Browning Hotrods 007.gif Browning JP Tackle 007.gif

wagnmag

If the bread is still on the hook when you reel in you are doing something wrong, bread should always be pinched on as lightly as possible so it expands and becomes nice and fluffy, this way the hook is free to penetrate the fishes mouth on the strike, without a big lump of dough masking the hookpoint.
The only exception to the rule in my experience is when using Drennan flake punches, if you use a good "doughy" bread you can get the bread back when reeling in but isn't really up to the job of recasting.
As for bread choice I swear by Hovis thick sliced (the one with baked beans on the wrapper)for punched bread. Or a fresh uncut tin loaf for flake, although I tend to eat more of it than the fish !
While I'm on the subject of bread has anyone had any success with brown bread ?

Wagnmag

dave the fish

Site Supporter
Rob

I never had confidence that my bread stayed on until I used an extra large bread punch 1/2 inch across which punches a double slice of thick sliced bread, two of these on a size 12 or 10 is perfect and will not fall off. Swells up to twice the size in the water. Even stays on after a long chuck on the feeder but ends up fluffy all through no hard bits at all.
I got someone to make me one with interchangable heads between 1/4 inch and 1inch.

Dave

Snigg

Have you tried hair rigging a large piece of crust using a small piece of uncooked spaggetti as a hair stop.It works a treat, also try putting two pieces of bread on the hair, crust to crust, so that it is mainly the white of the bread that is showing.[:p]

Last edited:

everyready

all the others have covered it, but just put a flake on a hook length in the water in front of you to see what it dose it might tell you what is happening and give confidences to you

methodgob

yoda
Have you tried a "tampon"?cut the crust off a slice.tear slice in 2.place line above hook across half slice.roll bread into a "tampon".place the hook, spade or eye first into middle.leaving point showing.Squeeze ends closed and a pinch on top.This works really well on the surface but also popped up.It acts like a kind of method feeder.The carp tear away at the "tampon"taking the hook at some point and tearing off.

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
i do as said above, by puinching it on the shank and leaving it fluffy at the bottom, it work every time, i can cast 40 yards and be sure it will not come off, make sure your using fresh, sticky bread though, itwill not work with stale, dry bread. Don't plaster the bread to the hook so its like a paste either, just fold slightly over the line and over the shank and a slight squeeze, whilst leaving the bottom nice and fluffy.

J.Tolley

Larry

Lazarus
I pinch a peice of bread onto shank of hook & mould bread into a bell shape round hook leaving hook clear the bread when in the water fluff's up & cover's hook without masking point ,ive utmost confidence in this method as i often combine it with method feeder on a chuck of over 50 yd's &have caught fish after leaving in water 1/2 hr or more.

Datafile2.asp

Anyone who stops learning is old.
Wether at 20 or 80.
Anyone who keeps learning stays young.
Cheer's Larry AKA as toma say's Shimano Man The Tackle Tart

Status
Not open for further replies.