Kamasan hook guide

PAB

Site Supporter
is there a hook guide/chart for kamasan hooks where i could look at and compare all there range and the technical data.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I've never seen one. Have you tried contacting any main suppliers to see if one is available?

Zerkalo

Wish there was one of these for other brands too as I seem to have a handle on Kamasan enough to know what to buy as I've been using them for years, but I look at the naming of Guru, Preston etc hooks and have no idea what I'm buying.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Wish there was one of these for other brands too as I seem to have a handle on Kamasan enough to know what to buy as I've been using them for years, but I look at the naming of Guru, Preston etc hooks and have no idea what I'm buying.
Look on their websites they explain all their hook ranges ?

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
Site Supporter
As far as I know, the Kamasan hooks are made by the japanese firm Dai-ichi Seiko for the european market. I don't know who ownes the brand name Kamasan, but I've heared it's Drennan. But I don't know this is true.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
You’re not alone pal.

Zerkalo

They are all on the websites as @chefster says. I've just had a read and it's probably simpler than I think. But as I ain't tried most of them, when I'm in a tackle shop staring at them I give up and head back to trusty Kamasan haha

Nicky Dodds

Kamasan do not have a website at all. It has been searched for previously up to the point of a phone call and speaking to a kamasan spokesperson who confirmed a website doesn't exist. Searches for an info chart only come up with fly tying info.

Simon R

Site Supporter
There was a comprehensive hook guide in the September / October editions of Match Fishing Magazine - it ran to eight pages in all.

I was expecting details of lots and lots of different hooks by all the main players - Drennan, Kamasan, Middy, Guru etc etc but basically it was just an eight page advert for the new range of Preston hooks - all of which were brilliant naturally. I wish they'd put advertorial at the top of the page and I wouldn't have wasted five minutes reading it.

Simon

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
I bet if someone put 10 different brands of unmarked same sized hooks in front of most anglers they wouldn't be able to identify who made them.

grey

Site Supporter
I bet if someone put 10 different brands of unmarked same sized hooks in front of most anglers they wouldn't be able to identify who made them.
Yes, but I also expect they'll discover they have more confidence in one of those 10 different brands of hook.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Drennan set up Kamatsu in partnership with another ex Mustad employee in the late 70s or very early 80s but the name was changed after complaints from Gamakatsu I was told so the names on the packets became Kamasan although the trading name remains as Kamatsu Kamasan and is solely owned by Drennan now.
I have always had a bit of a thing about hooks for many years because the hook is the most important single item you use in fishing so hook choice is critical to me.
These days when something like 70% of hooks sold are eyed barbless patterns the hook world has changed massively from the previous times when people mostly specified what hook pattern they wanted to now when its more likely to be "strong ones"