Kamasan B560 alternative

Simon90

I'm having trouble finding any Kamasan B560's in size 16 at the moment.
Does anyone have any good suggestions for an alternative hook.
I'm thinking about the Drennan wide gape or wide gape match, but without seeing them I'm not sure how they compare to the B560's in pattern or gauge.
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Nicky Dodds

I use the colmic N500 if I run out of B560's. N500 is nickel finish though and I believe there's an improved version out. There's a new Preston hook and one in the new matrix range that look very 560 biased but I don't know the model numbers.

davepellet

I use the B560's for my reservoir feeder fishing, only micro barbed hook I use, and in looking round for a more readily available alternative I'd ear-marked the Drennan wide gape match

Simon90

Thanks for the replies. Ironically, after Preston N30's were mentioned I realised that I have a few packs of those somewhere I bought for feeder fishing.
But I'm going to order some Drennan carbon match hooks to try, I like the look of that pattern. And then I wonder why I have packets of hooks that I've forgotten about!

Sam Vimes

I used little other than B560s for many years. However, I switched to the Drennan Wide Gape Match about five years back. They are stronger than the mere silverfish hook that Drennan suggest in their description. They are far more robust without being excessively heavy gauge. If they did them in sizes bigger than a 14, I'd probably use little else on venues where barbed hooks are allowed. As few people seem to rate them, I'm getting really concerned that Drennan will discontinue them. I'll not be a happy bunny if, or when, that happens. I believe that the Drennan Carbon Match is a closer match to the B560.

richox12

Wide Gape Match.

Carbon Match are very different, longer shank, narrower gape, not as robust.

davepellet

Same thing with the Silverfish Pellet hook... I use them for almost everything and over the years have had plenty of double figure carp on them with no fear of hook straightening, super strong hook that really goes well beyond the Silverfish tag. The wide gape match looks to me like a micro barbed version of this

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I used to use the Kamasan B560 hooks when fishing on the feeder for bream, the wide gape being ideal, but I stopped using them when a large bream straightened the hook, I was gutted!

Simon90

I used to use the Kamasan B560 hooks when fishing on the feeder for bream, the wide gape being ideal, but I stopped using them when a large bream straightened the hook, I was gutted!
Ouch! Last Friday I had a Tubertini Series 2 Opaco hook straighten out whilst float fishing on the river. The worst part being that I accept if I get into something very big on light tackle then the odds are against me. But after a several minutes I actually got this to netting range before the hook hold went!

squimp

Site Supporter
Ouch! Last Friday I had a Tubertini Series 2 Opaco hook straighten out whilst float fishing on the river. The worst part being that I accept if I get into something very big on light tackle then the odds are against me. But after a several minutes I actually got this to netting range before the hook hold went!
I had a similar thing happen with a pre-tied Drennan wide gape match recently. I played a good 15lb ish mirror carp right to the net and then the Factory hook knot came undone.

Chavey1

Try the Colmic Hayabusa 157 same shape as the b560 but they seem more durable and tend to stay sharper longer? One or two shops mail order them including Todber Manor, the smallest size available is a 16 though, but that’s fine for bream fishing on the feeder

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The 560s in size 16 must be back in stock at Kamasan because we got some today in the new packaging.