Just seen this on ebay, may be of interest, Jan Porter items.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I must admit, I was surprised at some of the tackle on that e-bay page

I thought Jan woulda owned some slightly better gear, him being who he was ???

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Maybe he bought (or was given) tackle that he used a lot, seeing as he was almost a full time angler it's not surprising they look well used. He probably found certain reels better for certain jobs than others despite the price, I mean, some people still use Mitchell 300's.

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
I must admit, I was surprised at some of the tackle on that e-bay page

A lot of his better rods and reels have already been sold over the last couple of years.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Also Jan had a tackle shop for a few years so some gear may have been left over from that.
Good bloke I miss his slightly eccentric outlook we had some good chats over the years.

2ts

Site Supporter
Grandson bought one of his rods when they were on sale last year.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I met and was talking to Stuart Thompson who researched the book, about 6 weeks ago ;)

I had the book years ago but it got misplaced

Marker50

Site Supporter
No, Billy Lane float fishing encyclopedia, prices for the book vary wildly, but not many were owned by Jan Porter. Probably a lot of information in it which is still pertinent today.
Would love to read that again

rudd

Site Supporter

No need to borrow now - I won the auction for Cypry The Carp at a very very sensible price compared to some of the ebay / online prices. ?
I am really really looking forward to reading it again. Nostalgia and its a good read.
Last read in 1987 when School high school had it in libary, it was so popular it stayed in School libary (no taking out) and could only be read lunchtimes. Eventually stolen by someone as were all fishing books!?
It was very popular as myself and peers reached the age that the local day ticket/carp pool allowed us to fish (for the then fabled Carp / Crucians) without adult supervision allowing us to move on from small farm ponds catching Rudd and Eels (of which we done for five years as none of us had parents willing to spend all day with us on said day ticket water (none fished)).

TrickyD

Site Supporter

No need to borrow now - I won the auction for Cypry The Carp at a very very sensible price compared to some of the ebay / online prices. ?
I am really really looking forward to reading it again. Nostalgia and its a good read.
Last read in 1987 when School high school had it in libary, it was so popular it stayed in School libary (no taking out) and could only be read lunchtimes. Eventually stolen by someone as were all fishing books!?
It was very popular as myself and peers reached the age that the local day ticket/carp pool allowed us to fish (for the then fabled Carp / Crucians) without adult supervision allowing us to move on from small farm ponds catching Rudd and Eels (of which we done for five years as none of us had parents willing to spend all day with us on said day ticket water (none fished)).
Well done, thought it may have gone higher, shocked about the Barlow book, not that rare, is it ?

rudd

Site Supporter
Well done, thought it may have gone higher, shocked about the Barlow book, not that rare, is it ?
How much did FB book go for?
Thing with anything on an auction site - items only worth the value someone wants to pay on the day.
An auction item may sell for £50 one day and identical item £30 the next whilst same on buy it now for £40 may not be bought!
Some people get caught up in auctions and pay more than items cost new! E rage! ?
I will admit to sniping on this item. Sorts out chancer bids to serious (IE serious would put in a decent highest bid, chancer puts in a low bid in off chance they will win it) and gives a rival bidder no chance to react if beaten by 50 pence or so! ?
Put in my max bid with 15 seconds to go, accepted, winning, won (around half my bid) emails within 20 seconds and paid for within a minute.