just like the good old days!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
As some of you know i am born and bred in Essex and me and my older bro fished together for many years in club, club match, opens, local teams and then national teams before i gave it up due to work and commitments and ive moved further and further north in the country. 2 weeks ago i moved back to Essex temporarily before i move to the Philippines once the borders open again next year, thought i would come back and rent to get some serious sea fishing done on Walton Pier and also fish with my bro again.

So last week i fished a match at Colemans cottage, as ive signed up to the spring league with my bro there and really really enjoyed it, met my old Essex team mates and has been 18 years since i last fished with them, was actually quick emotional as many many happy memories came back and a few of the old guys are no longer with us but god did i enjoy my match, it re-lit a competitive fire in me and even though i came 7th (I used to be a good angler lol) and got battered by my old team mate on the next peg ive already signed up to this weeks matches and many others, cannot bloody wait!

Bro is going to get all my kit when i leave and was brilliant spending time with him, amazed how much i missed it to be honest, anyway just wanted to reminisce a bit on here and ive spent a bloody fortune today on bait for the league and a load of bits.

Colemans was great as used to fish there a fair bit and its changed loads but it was great catching carp and bloody great big F1s, and not silly weights like my old local fisheries were like, hell you could even use any pellets for feed that you wanted to as well AND groundbait lol!

Tony

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
lol i went through my kit earlier and im giving him (all browning) 16m Z92 with 12 top kits, seat box and all he trays, arms etc, 3* 8/9ft feeder rods and reels, 3* 10/11ft Pellet rods and reels, 3* 11/12ft feeder rods and reels, 8 guru carp keepnets, 2 stink bags, 5 2 rod holdalls, poledall, 2 carryalls, 3 pole rollers, map 4 wheel trolley - he cant wait till i bloody leave now lol

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
As some of you know i am born and bred in Essex and me and my older bro fished together for many years in club, club match, opens, local teams and then national teams before i gave it up due to work and commitments and ive moved further and further north in the country. 2 weeks ago i moved back to Essex temporarily before i move to the Philippines once the borders open again next year, thought i would come back and rent to get some serious sea fishing done on Walton Pier and also fish with my bro again.

So last week i fished a match at Colemans cottage, as ive signed up to the spring league with my bro there and really really enjoyed it, met my old Essex team mates and has been 18 years since i last fished with them, was actually quick emotional as many many happy memories came back and a few of the old guys are no longer with us but god did i enjoy my match, it re-lit a competitive fire in me and even though i came 7th (I used to be a good angler lol) and got battered by my old team mate on the next peg ive already signed up to this weeks matches and many others, cannot bloody wait!

Bro is going to get all my kit when i leave and was brilliant spending time with him, amazed how much i missed it to be honest, anyway just wanted to reminisce a bit on here and ive spent a bloody fortune today on bait for the league and a load of bits.

Colemans was great as used to fish there a fair bit and its changed loads but it was great catching carp and bloody great big F1s, and not silly weights like my old local fisheries were like, hell you could even use any pellets for feed that you wanted to as well AND groundbait lol!

Tony
10 minutes after the whistle you feel like you've never been away 👍

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
right from brekkie bud, just the banter and amazing the memories you have that come back, everyone said i used to be much slimmer though..................cheeky ******s lol! 10 minutes in i had a 8lb carp streaming orange slik and was loving it.

last few years its just been a fish race for the matches i have fished up in grantham way, just not my cup of tea bud but each to their own

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
It’s great to hear from you Tony. I’m really glad you re enjoying yourself. What’s it like fishing in the Philippines?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
hey bud, ive been lurking in the background, work has just gone bloody mental!! and with moving i kept popping in but not posting lol

In the PH if you fish a lake then what you catch you eat, as i found out on my last visit when we went as my fiancee and her sister had never fished and i saw the fishing sign so they caught loads of little carp but wouldnt let me put them back as they all got deep fried but they did taste really nice lol but made me feel a little guilty

As for the sea fish its the same as the med i think in that they keep and sell everything that they catch, there are a couple of big game boats i found online but not sure what they catch, the main thing in the PH is golf bud, their national sport is basketball (which bores the living daylights out of me) and they love WWE as well and no need to comment on that lol

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
right from brekkie bud, just the banter and amazing the memories you have that come back, everyone said i used to be much slimmer though..................cheeky ******s lol! 10 minutes in i had a 8lb carp streaming orange slik and was loving it.

last few years its just been a fish race for the matches i have fished up in grantham way, just not my cup of tea bud but each to their own
The banter never changes 😀

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Enjoy it Tony, good to hear you've got your mojo back, I always enjoyed my sessions at Colemans, a cracking venue.
One question though.............. when have you ever needed 8 carp keepnets? :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
lol jansons you need 8 nets for the 400+ weights though why i thought i would ever get near that i dont frigging know lol BUT sods law dictates if i only have 4 nets i would catch more bloody fish than i can put in just 4 nets!

I might be getting rid of my golf clubs when i leave Dave so if you fancy golf you can be my adopted golf brother lol

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
What elastic will I need? :D

Glad to hear that the move went okay Tony and that you're enjoying yourself :)

The Runner

Site Supporter
In the PH if you fish a lake then what you catch you eat, as i found out on my last visit when we went as my fiancee and her sister had never fished and i saw the fishing sign so they caught loads of little carp but wouldnt let me put them back as they all got deep fried but they did taste really nice lol but made me feel a little guilty
On a visit there four years ago a group of us went to a nice floating restaurant somewhere in Laguna Province.
There were a few small carp and tilapia drifting around on the top ,
P1011438.JPG
Was explaining to them how matchfishing worked in the UK and gave a quick demonstration of the idea of loosefeeding. Half a dozen thumbnails of steamed rice later it looked like Arrans Lake (there were some bigger catfish under the carp as well that don't show up in the pic)
P1011441.JPG
Didn't have travel rod with me and don't know whether fishing was allowed, but sure that like most things over there, some Pesos in the right direction would soon override any regulations....

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
true but that would be simply mind numbing as would just be catching not fishing and the locals eat everything lol including my missus who couldnt wait to eat teh fish she caught when we went

PearTree

Calder Exile
There's a fishery in Manila Bay where you pay per kg for the fish you want to take home to eat (mainly milkfish).

The best place I've fished was Lakeshore in Pampanga where last time I was there I got a decent snakehead on a small rapala. I first went when it opened about 15 years ago.

Most of the other places I've fished over there have been stock ponds containing tilapia and catfish. Good fun to while away a few hours but I wouldn't swap them for the Calder.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
manilla will be a long way from where we will be living as we will be Cebu or Iloilo and milkfish is not nice (have tried it) but great suggestions thank you, will just have to play golf there lol

PearTree

Calder Exile
Too many bones !

I've been to Cebu and Palawan but didn't fish there. Wonderful snorkelling though, particularly Palawan.

If you are into sea fishing drop me a p.m. and I'll see what I can find out from one of the Filipino lads in my local fishing shop (Barracuda in Dubai).

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
we have a place for the last 3 years in and around Davao but just not our cup of tea and hand on heart Iloilo seems to be the winner from the research so far but hand to have boots on the ground to be 100% sure.

Unfortunately i drowned when i was a youngster when i fell into a weir and i hate having my head underwater or anything on my face now so snorkling/diving is not on my list, ive tried snorkling and had a huge panic attack though i know there is some amazing snorkling/diving there.

To be fair we are marrying next year and planning on a family after that so really not sure i will have time to fish but it will def pop up at some point but will want to settle in first as we will rent for a month at a time in a few places to see where we want to settle