Just couldn't....

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Get into the England game last night. It worries me, because i love football.
Don't know if it was just the lack of atmosphere catching up with me, recent times or the way we play lately or watching it and having in the back of my mind negative thoughts such as why is it usually the bigger club players that pick up 'knocks' and have to pull out of friendlies (Gomez one seems worse fair dos) or that Jose keeps picking the team for Gareth. Kane has never spent so much time off the pitch for England since Jose took over at Spurs, not a bad thing in itself i feel, because i think England were getting too reliant on him and a despite a good record he can ho missing and get marked out of games, but wrong none the less.

Bit depressed about it really, i think the birth of the prem was the start of the end for England and for all of Gareth trying to bridge that, his inconsistency in consequences for players stepping out of line was poor too.

Was more interested in checking how Scotland (well done there) and NI were getting on in matches that perhaps meant something, may be friendly thing, but it was against local rival opposition.

Last edited:

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
love my liverpool football, england bores the death out of me, have to say i didnt even know there was a game last night but im not worried as i wouldnt have watched it even if i did know.

International football only interests me once its knockout stages of a tournie

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I watched the Scotland game instead and well done to them. It will be great for the Jocks to be at a major tournament again and even more so as they are in our group. We play them at Wembley on Friday 18th June..........Game on...... :love:

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I watched the Ireland game,at least there was a point to it,I can't see the point in friendlies against teams we should beat easily.

H T B

Site Supporter
How many of those starters for England will start against Belgium on Sunday?
Not many, I think!

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Was a good opportunity to play the "kids" and they played very well.
Albeit against very poor side it showed we have a good depth of talent now and a more collectively skilful group than we have ever had before.

For lads to go and play in Germany is a big thing and the benefits in Bellingham & Sancho were there for all to see.

Have you applaudi Southgate for putting that side out and do what we always cry out-willingness to give kids a game.
Has his haters but Grealish is the new Gazza and a class player.

62tucker

Site Supporter
I checked the score at half time and tbh I still don’t know the final score. Like OP. It bores me.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Only a friendly, so a rare opportunity to experiment now we have the new tournament. Harry will almost certainly play the next two games.

Ian Wright always picked up a "knock" before an England game. Strangely the opposite for Darren "Sicknote" Anderton. Always injured until an England game came around.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
'Has his haters but Grealish is the new Gazza and a class player.'

He is when he's on his feet,to compare any modern day footballer to Gascoigne is ridiculous in my opinion.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Has his haters but Grealish is the new Gazza and a class player.
Couldnt lace Gascoigne’s boots, worlds apart if you ask me.

Followed England home and away for years in my youth, as well as Spurs, but have fallen out of love with the game in general, mostly due to the fact that simulation and blatant cheating is now so widespread. VAR was the final straw for me.

It’s a different game to the one I loved when I was growing up.

Still watch Spurs when they’re on the box, but England friendlies are generally just a bore fest.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
In a time where we play how we play nowadays, Grealish does stand out as something different. Has seemed to me when he has played to be the most liveliest on the pitch, stand out and therefore imo, references to the last player to do that, i,e Gazza are fair. Not seen this type of player for England since Gazza, so therefore........

Grealish and Stirling is something i would like to see, two players who can run at people and in different areas of the pitch and not just side to side either.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can’t really put a finger on any one reason as theres loads but I just generally can’t watch football any more. Genuinely loved it through my teenage years but gradually lost interest more and more through my 20s to the point now that I’ll never watch it on my own now more just occasionally down the pub with mates to be sociable.

To get to the point though if I do find a game still entertaining it is invariably a club game (often in cups rather than the league but not always) as unfortunately internationals are not a pinnacle of the sport like they are in other sports and I feel it shows when you watch international football in that something is just missing.

Robwooly

I'm the same with club football with this var and lack of crowds, getting relegated when you couldn't be there last season hurt.

Re the international games there's an irony in that if we sort the defence out this could be the best England team many a generation has seen

Here's a thought on the Grealish /Gazza debate, Is Grealish actually better? I remember Gazza being super skillful but not having much of an end product, willing to stand corrected if someone has his goals/ assists stats. If Grealish continues his form this season he could end up with De Bruyne type figures

Is Grealish a better finisher/crosser than Gazza, He's got more pace for sure and both are a delight to watch on the ball, just a thought as I'd have him over Sterling on the left?

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Grealish will never score the number of goals like Stirling but he has the skills and quick thought to unlock defences.
Shame he wasn't played a few seasons ago and we used that time to build on his worth to the side.

Gazza was no doubt the most skilful English player in decades (maybe ever) but do we overlook how much he actually delivered in product and just focus on the moments of pure brilliance?

Northantslad

'Any indications?
I'm the same with club football with this var and lack of crowds, getting relegated when you couldn't be there last season hurt.

Re the international games there's an irony in that if we sort the defence out this could be the best England team many a generation has seen

Here's a thought on the Grealish /Gazza debate, Is Grealish actually better? I remember Gazza being super skillful but not having much of an end product, willing to stand corrected if someone has his goals/ assists stats. If Grealish continues his form this season he could end up with De Bruyne type figures

Is Grealish a better finisher/crosser than Gazza, He's got more pace for sure and both are a delight to watch on the ball, just a thought as I'd have him over Sterling on the left?

Agree, but see him (Grealish) as a good number 10. I prefer Stirling wide as he comes for the ball wide, which we need, to stop the ball just coming back inside and across the pitch all game. Grealish gives us something through the congestion which is usually the middle. So lively players wide and inside for me. Greenwood (when he has finished being punished more than Sancho has been) on the right too and we have something other than Kane as an option and balance.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I'm no great fan of Grealish but I have to say he was outstanding tonight,pity his teammates weren't,so if Belgium don't beat Denmark we are out,the Scots would live off that for ages.

nejohn

Site Supporter
We will never get anywhere playing the system he does, the mid field is not dynamic enough, you can't play Henderson and Rice together as they give very little in creativty, Rice in particular rarely makes a forward pass nearly always Sideways or backwards, we just do not convert defence into attack quick enough to trouble the better teams. Saying all of that I think the real problem is in central defence as I don't think Southgate trusts them hence why he plays 2 defensive midfielders sat in front of them. If this is the case he needs to grow a pair and dump the ones he can't trust an pick players that can defend, they do exist but they don't catch the eye like the ones he picks. As Grealish I am not normally a fan as I think he concentrates to much on winning fouls however he was head and shoulders above anyone else tonight and that goes for both sides, he was the only one that consistently showed imagination and creativity.... So knowing Mr safety first Southgate he will be dropped for the next game

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Is weird how England had quality central midfielders and number 10s abound for years with Gerard, lampard, scholes, carrick, Hargreaves, Cole, Rooney etc now we can’t seem to produce even one properly good one just the odd decent one. Seem to just have stacks of good strikers and wide players instead, not to mention ridiculous depth at right back of all places!