Just being sceptical, for a minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Happyeater

Do you think that the 'named' tackle is that good or is it partly (or mostly) the name attached on it?

These big names pay a fortune in sponsorship and advertising, therefore is that the reason for the good write up's etc?

Just wondering.......[:eek:)]

TINY

Tiny
I believe a lot of named tackle,is just that...named.
The general quality of a lot of tackle has not improved in recent years so the quality of them seems to be getting worse in comparison to their opposition,who are striving to make a name for themselves.
I personally dont go for a name or a brand,I use what I believe to be of greater quality,hence I dont have any Shimano reels in my kit,because the ones I use are in my opinion a better reel and less than half the price.[:D]
Dont get me wrong,we all like to tackle tarts.It can be done without spending a fortune[:D][;)]

Andy.

Dibber

Hi Happyeater,

I am now a firm beliver in "you get what you pay for" after I made the mistake of paying 200 for a new pole. It was given a good write up in a polpular fishing magazine, but it turned out unmanagable at a measly 9.5 meters even though its total length is 13! I think cheap and cheerful gear is o.k. if your just starting out and on a tight budget, but for tackle with a little more life expectancy you have to bite the bullet and pay that little bit more.
As far as sponsorship and advertising is concerned I personally think a write up's can be misleading as in the above instance, not saying all write up's are "crooked" but i'd say that certain tests must be biased.

Dibber

les middy

'Navigator'
I think

well i don't know what i think

just a minute i'll ask the wife what i think, just like a good hubby. [:I]

les [:D]

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

les middy

'Navigator'
Geoff

man or mouse
I can do what i like so there.

as long as the wife says so. lol

les

I like work. It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I believe you do get what you pay for but brand-naming tackle also sells.
If you buy something with a brand name on it and like it then you're more likely to buy from the same brand the next time.
Also people do buy for image, just look at tackle in general especially on the bank. A lot of anglers will buy tackle because it has the 'right' label on, will replace their gear because it has the 'wrong' label on and will buy 'matching' gear to look the part...

Just like trainers..... Nike or UnheardOfBrand ?

Dave

joe1987

'Darwener'
I think your right there dave but going off the tackle ive seen in the shops i always like the look and feel of a named brand. It also has that reassurance that it has to be good, its maver or diawa ect. I'm probably one of those ppl that you mentioned dave, I dont want matching tackle but to have a named brand just feels good. You have to agree. And if the tackle item doesnt work or breaks because of manufacturing ect. you can always return it to a big brand whereas a smaller unknown brand might not have as many dealers. Am I right I dont have much experience, just my views. **Joey-Mackeral**

norm

tiny

i hope larry does not read this thread (LOL)

TINY

Tiny
I use reels that are made by a Swedish company called Fladen.[:D]
The design of the reels is Warbird 620.
Think of another manufacturer from that area and put them together.[;)]
They are six ball bearing,come with 2 spare spools,have tremendous line lay and they look so damned expensive its unreal.But they are in fact only 34.99 which is less than half the price of a good Shimano.[:D][:D]

Andy.

iobrien2002

Paddy
if u want baits, u hav to use big name brands otherwisem its rubbish.
but other tackle can b good

I.O'Brien

Steve Keating

I have found that named brands are usually made from better quality materials and are assembled to a higher standard than lesser known names. (notice how i didnt use the word cheaper as branded is not always more money)

joe32

I'm affraid I have to disaggree with the majority of posters,
There is no doubt about it you get what you pay for.There is not a reel on the market that even comes close to the shimano stradic,the reel just ozzes quality.
The same applies to the normark titan range of rods as well as the daiwa range of connissuer rods they are made with quality materials.Please dont tell me that a 30 blank with Steadfast plastered up the side of it is in the same leauge as the normark titan 3000 or a Daiwa connissuer.If you want quality you pay for it.
You also know that if you do need a spare tip section that one will be available for a few years after production has ceased.
I wonder if the same can be said for the bottom end of the market rods.
In Reply to:
"if u want baits, u hav to use big name brands otherwisem its rubbish"

I have only just packed in carp fishing for 22 years,For most of that time I have made my own baits.I can produce a base mix every buit as good as Ice Red or Big fish mix,containing not far off the same ingredients for about 2.60 per Kilo.
Your not paying for the quality your paying for the convenience of it.How many of the pellets and bait ingredients available today do you think were designed for carp if you go and buy these products for there intended purpose and you'll find they are a lot cheaper.

Joe [:D] [:D]

Don't argue with an idiot they will only bring you down to there level and beat you on experience

Happyeater

Would it be true to say that the more a tackle dealer sells of a certain make the cheaper/better deals they get on that item, therefore, the more they push the rods/reels/hooks etc. This combined with an advertising feature, or sponsorship, paid for by the manufacturer, and the editorial written by reporters who are employed by this type of media means that the tackle's 'credibility' is higher?

I'm not saying that there would be anything at all wrong in this, but I can understand how buying a 'named item' could be hard to resist with all the pressure that can be put on through media and tackle dealers.

[8D]

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
How many tackle companies have more than one brand??

How many tackle companies make their own stuff??

I know of four "brand names" that have their stuff made by the same company, i know of at least one company that has more than one "brand"

I'm quite happy fishing with the carp rod Dian brought me & it doesnt have a "name" on it, its a pajero & they make rods for a much more well known tackle firm so whats the difference?? its about 120 less.

Alan

There's a monster outside my window..can i have a glass of water?

TINY

Tiny
Joe32.....If you really believe that the Stradic is the best reel going,fine and dandy.
I agree with you saying that it oozes quality......BUT..there are a lot more reels on the market that have the same qualities and stature and are less than half the price.
All we are trying to get across is the fact that there are a lot of smaller companies making exceptional tackle at a more affordable price.[:D]Shimano,Daiwa,Normark and the likes didnt start off as multi-million pound industries.
Its preference and affordability...sometimes they do combine[:D]

Andy.

Simon R

Site Supporter
One problem that some tackle shops have (especially when starting out) is that a lot of the 'big name' companies have minimum orders - if you don't spend 5000 (or so) on their products they won't give you an account.

In order to get a decent turn-over they're bound to 'push' these items of tackle more aggressively to generate enough income to make a repeat order.

The importers of products such as Okuma etc etc don't have such stringent requirements therefore dealers will only buy in what they know they can sell and hence don't need to promote. Check out the adverts in the angling press, they almost always have all the Daiwa, Shimano, Drennan etc gear at the top of the page with the 'littler' companies such as Okuma, Zebco etc tucked away at the bottom.

Personally I don't give a damm about the name on an item of tackle, I'd like to think that after 25 years of fishing I can tell by the look and feel of a rod or reel whether its worth the money or not.

Tight Lines

Simon

Status
Not open for further replies.