Just a thought.

ATTICUS FINCH

I started my fishing career way back as a five year old being taken on matches with my dad ,he would tie a rope around my waist and then to either a tree or bankstick so I couldn't fall in and I was given my rod and some bait usually maggot and pretty much left to my own devices. Dad was only a couple of yards away but could fish without having to worry about my falling in the water.
Anyway I'm digressing, the reason for the post.
As a toddler the weigh in was always fish to the scales and with all your tackle on your back it was a collapsible water bucket full of water and fish taken on to the weigh area. These days it's oh so different with the scales being brought round to you.
Thinking back the fish were always returned to the same peg where the scales were, I often wondered if the fish ever returned to the same haunt they were caught from .
As my fishing continued the weigh in always fascinated me and I was always in awe of the better anglers and their catches.looking at the chub and dog roach of proportions the like I had never seen ,it got me to thinking about my last match , I won it with over twenty pound of roach ninety percent of which were net fish ,nothing outrightly huge but a few pushing ten ounces with the main being in the four to half pound range . Now back in the day of my youth and looking at those fish back then it was will I ever catch a net of fish like them .well I have had some cracking roach bags down the years but not until my last match did I actually appreciate the the fish that I caught and it was with a completely different pair of eyes that looked on my net of fish and I thought back to my younger self thinking then that I would never catch fish like it .
I know I have rambled on about nothing but I was taken back to days long gone looking at that net of fish , and I have never had that feeling of being almost in awe of myself for catching them.
I have had double ton bags of carp and many tons as well also many a ton of bream ,my best all roach bags have been in the thirty's but I never really appreciated those catches like I did this time around.
Sorry for my ramblings but I thought that I should write something about it.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know exactly where you're coming from Bill. Like you, my early match fishing started off fishing club matches, the majority of which were "Rovers" on natural venues, a lot of which were small rivers and drains, mostly low weight affairs but with the occasional Red Letter day thrown in when if you were lucky you had to walk back to the scales and ask for them to come to your peg as you had caught to much to bring them to the scales.
I fondly remember just such a day at Pevensey Haven when everyone followed me back for nearly a mile to witness me weigh in 72lbs of Bream, just 16 fish. Got a round of applause from all that were there and it held the club match record for around 5 years. Still remember that day as if it was yesterday though unfortunately nobody had a camera to record it. Hence the reason there's always a camera in my kit nowadays.
The match angler's focus is usually on the weight caught, it's the main reason that most of them fish matches and I've always wondered if they truly appreciate the fish they catch and some of the surroundings they fish in. For me it has always been an intrinsic part of a days fishing, be it a match or a pleasure day and as you know yourself Bill, I'll often take 15-20 minutes out for a wander with my camera to capture a few shots that capture the day, I guess it's the way I'm wired.
A brown envelope is nice at the end of a match, but the contents of those envelopes are soon gone. The memories last for ever. ;)

Freesolo82

When I think about the way I felt about fishing as a kid makes me a bit sad because I will never feel that way again, I used to look at these catches in magazines and imagine one day I would do the same, when I look at these catches that gave me this feeling now they seem really small and not impressive at all. I still obsess over fishing and try to find these same feelings through it but I can't say it's easy.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Luckily I don't feel that way at all, Freesolo82.

I still get exactly the same thrill with 150 lb of carp as I used to with three gudgeon.

In fact, because for many years my biggest catch was six roach, and for decades I was used to catching perhaps 3 lb in a five-hour match on the Fen drains, I appreciate catching fish more than ever. AND I still remember the thrill I got the day I caught six roach from the North Level Drain at Blackdyke Bridge in about 1958. That was no less of a thrill than I get today, and certainly no more!

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Nice read that. Even if, as a lad you could catch like that, you couldn't nor shouldn't. The longer the planned journey upwards, the more experience is needed, but the early experiences are vital in fuelling the aspirations.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Luckily I don't feel that way at all, Freesolo82.

I still get exactly the same thrill with 150 lb of carp as I used to with three gudgeon.

In fact, because for many years my biggest catch was six roach, and for decades I was used to catching perhaps 3 lb in a five-hour match on the Fen drains, I appreciate catching fish more than ever. AND I still remember the thrill I got the day I caught six roach from the North Level Drain at Blackdyke Bridge in about 1958. That was no less of a thrill than I get today, and certainly no more!

There is no doubt, catching is better than not catching. But commercial and wild places are different to me. I love both now, catching a few wild fish off the river brilliant, but a 100lb of commercial carp is fantastic too, and if they are taken form the edge and I can see them, so much the better.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I remember Club Matches on canals, the white metal mesh box used as a weigh sling, good times. There are times when I don't feel like going fishing sometimes when I wake up in the morning now, but when I get there it always changes and I am glad to be on the bank no matter where I am, long may that continue.