Just a month until the rivers opens!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Ya not fancy trying a bit of piking in the winter?

Never really done any Pike fishing, I'm not expert at handling them either. Every pike I've caught has either been hanging on to another fish or on maggot. My dad like casting a lure for them sometimes though.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'm only really a novice, learnt to handle them from watching YouTube videos. It's nice simple fishing too, no complicated rigs.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm only really a novice, learnt to handle them from watching YouTube videos. It's nice simple fishing too, no complicated rigs.

There's a good channel on youtube I watch a bit called Black Country Piker. He catches a lot of nice Pike from the Canals near me. Had a few pike grab Perch when I've fished there so might drop a lure down there this year. I see quite a few people doing it.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
so i was born 16061976 (so 666 in birthdate), june is the sign of Gemini and i have a twin (i came out ten minutes before him) and born fisherman and my dad couldnt go fishing on the 16th June for the next 6 years till i was old enough to go with him lol

my birthday was always fishing, even my 18th and 21st and 30th i went fishing first!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
In my experience the first couple of weeks of river season can be feast or famine - depending on whether you drop on some chub shoaled up after spawning or not.
Roach and Dace seem to be still returning from their winter locations to the summer areas on those venues. I don't think this is about getting used to anglers baits ... it is just a case of where the fish are. From about 10th July onwards seems to be more consistent for silver fish. This is really marked on one of the venues I fish on the Warwickshire Avon - where the pegs at the downstream end of 50 pegs are the first to get going with Dace at the start -and the last to die off in November. The Dace seem to overwinter in the deeper water well downstream.

The rest of the summer sport is then very dependent on weather. Hot, sunny and dry - less good except in the evenings. reasonable amounts of rain giving venues some flow and a tinge of colour - great! Biblical floods - not so good unless you're a barbel angler!

Best months depend very much on the river - but overall I've found September and October to be pretty consistent.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah those first couple weeks can be a challenge can’t they. It’s weird around here as it reaches July and it’s like someone flicks a switch and it gets going again and is generally good until end of October provided it’s warm with the odd bit of rain. I found last year was a bit harder than usual locally. I think it’s because we had a cold start to spring then a wet end to spring. Didn’t find it any harder when I travelled though weirdly. Locally and away from home I found the rivers actually fished much better through the long hot summer the year before though. That was the third bumper year in a row for me before a bit of a drop last year.

I’m hoping that as we had a very wet winter then a warm slightly wet spring now a warm dry start to summer that the water levels and temperatures will be ideal come the 16th. Haven’t had the chance to see the Thames since lockdown yet but saw the cherwell this morning and it looked perfect :)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Am I right in thinking most rivers don't fish too good when it's been bone dry and levels are low? That's the impression I get from reading old Severn reports. And that they fish best when fining down after a bit of rain?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Generally speaking yes but it’s not always the case, certainly not on some stretches of the Thames around here. Through the long hot and dry summer of 2018 it fished very consistently. Tbf the water table was reasonably high at the start of that season due to the bad winter which might have been why the heat and dryness didn’t harm it or actually helped it. It’s particularly noticeable at medley, the top picture is from last year and the second the consistently hot year before and you’ll see the water level is about the same with it just a bit clearer on the previous year.
1589821984280.jpeg
1589822036864.jpeg
The year before though it was super low and clear but still fished really well as you could see the weed and fish so you knew exactly where to fish. It’s actually really helped me visualise the river since so has generally helped me fish it. Picture is obviously a different swim but you can see how low and clear it got from the usually submerged weed reaching the surface.
1589822312168.jpeg
I think consistent conditions rather than any particular conditions are key as the fish get the chance to settle. It’s when things are constantly changing that it seems to mess them up a bit.

Last edited: