Just a month until the rivers opens!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Well in a month from today we’ll finally be allowed back on the rivers! Is anyone else as excited as I am?!

Been flooded off them since September now we got this situation making lots of venues awkward so I’ve never been so excited to get back on a bit of river. My first session back will be on the Thames somewhere, probably either medley or Clifton Hampden below. I’ll have just a float rod and feeder rod with me, couple pints of maggot and hemp and bag of groundbait and I’ll just fish for whatever comes along. Hopefully I’ll get a few fish like the below but as long as I catch enough to keep me busy I’ll be happy and the joy of just being back on rivers is the main thing for me!
1589618800391.jpeg 1589618830637.jpeg 1589618892129.jpeg 1589619067127.jpeg 1589619228252.jpeg 1589619265618.jpeg 1589619294283.jpeg
Where will you guys be fishing and what for?

Last edited:

Dusty

I’ll be getting out on the Trent a bit more. I’ve been threatening it for years but always ended up putting it off.

Will probably go for the barbel but I’m happy catching anything really.

Arch

Site Supporter
If I could find out where the the lads have been catching Barbel on the upper Trent (Naughty, I know) I would rather fish there as it's closer. Otherwise, I'll be practising my casting on the river Dove from the start. Can't wait.

IMG_0634.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Would definitely like to fish the Trent at some point, probably not this year with the travel restrictions but certainly before too long. It’s the last of the like traditional coarse rivers I suppose that I’ve yet to fish.

BTMS

Site Supporter
Must admit looking forward to the Chelmer again this year. Lots of nice roach, Dace and Chub

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm looking forward to it because 'I don't know what I'm going to catch'. I like the element of surprise when fishing.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that's a nice thing about most rivers. Generally on the Thames I'll get 4 or 5 species in a day but it's not at all uncommon to get 2 or 3 more than that.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Brilliant fish that. Despite having caught more roach than any other species by a fair way I’ve probably caught less than a couple dozen over a pound and only about half a dozen of those from rivers. Despite it being a roach hotspot numbers wise around here there doesn’t seem to be too many big ones aside from the big gravel pits which aren’t my cup of tea.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think if I was specifically targeting them it would have felt like it was worth more but still a nice surprise and makes me think it will be worth fishing for them.

Barbel seeker

Always a sucker for a big roach and perch I will be after the trent barbel and will be down there but never on the 16th usually give it a couple of days to settle down but if the Severn was closer to me that's where I'd like to be, just a beautiful river and a pleasure to grace the banks

BoldBear

This is where I hope to be fishing for Barbel and Chub on the 16th and there’s some quality fish in there.
If it gets a few anglers then I’ll just have to go for a wander further downstream.

Marford-Farm01-Upstream800x600.jpg

Keith

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah roach and perch are my favourite species closely followed by dace and bream!

I should think I'll be back at work by the 16th so will be back to mostly fishing the weekends. Theres plenty of water on my tickets though so it's never a problem getting a swim in normal times and even in this weird situation it shouldn't be too busy.

Is a bit of talk of a staged return to work though so could be back on reduced hours initially. Obviously wouldnt want to do it long term because of the finances but wouldn't mind for the first couple weeks of the river season ;)

Wise Owl

Account Locked
can’t wait, in bed with my little pal watching the rod tips then kerpow 3 foot twitch, jump outta bed and here’s the prize
6D6023E9-AF9A-4041-AB56-9BE8A4125684.jpeg 810F1CC0-80FB-4399-AABF-B28C7A4F84A7.jpeg

As ya can see it was raining and Albert wont get outta bed for owt if he cant eat it ;) ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I think August is my favourite month for fishing (other than preferring commercials in the depths of winter) as it's when river fishing should be in full flow and it's also when my Bream lake, Patshull Park, opens for coarse fishing again.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My favourite months are May through to July, first half obviously stillwater and a bit of sea then second half rivers, then September and October for mostly rivers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Lets hope we don't have a very dry summer to match this wet winter!

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
16th June is my birthday so i may even get the chance to fish this year!.....................hopefully

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I think August is my favourite month for fishing (other than preferring commercials in the depths of winter) as it's when river fishing should be in full flow and it's also when my Bream lake, Patshull Park, opens for coarse fishing again.

Ya not fancy trying a bit of piking in the winter?