just a few questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

burger_boy

total noob here, (just got a rod today, apparently have a float rod and im trying to learn the new fishing language to understand what that means), i have my licence and i was wondering if its alright to fish on a lake outside my house? or do you have to check or can you just go right ahead? i know there are pike and others in there just wanna know how to get them cos i hear about all these feeders and pellets and dont understand, also will i be able to fish in the river nene with a float rod?
thanks

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
Welcome Burger_boy to maggotdrowning. [:)]
First Question you asked can you fish the lake out side you're home? Well that all depends! On Who owns the lake is it day ticket!? If you see fishermen there ask them if its day ticket?
2nd Q: You asked that you know pike was in the lake Fishing for pike you would use spinners or dead bait. You're float rod has to be strong enough to handle big pike. Float rods are used mainly for float fishing for roach pirch bream so on..
fishing the river Nene I dont know about that, Someone else here will know[;)] What brand name is you're rod we might beable to help you better if we knew the name. And what is the lakes name?
More help will follow if you answer my questions. ;)

Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

burger_boy

also what is coarse fishing? and i have a ron thompson rod and the lake is owned by the council i think.
i have seen kids fishing there and im gonna go with some maggots tmrw , i dont even understand the weights, oh well
i wanna go to the river nene but id rather go to the lake about 5 ft from my house (hey i could fish out the window)

The percher

Bolton 'till I die
you need to know the basics before gwetting into the complicated stuff. Can you tie hooks?
If you need some good knots i'm sure somebody could post some diagrams up of tying them.
Fish a float first. A feeder is a swimfeeder, no float is required as the tip of the rod goes round when you get a bite, but with a float rod the tip isn't sensetive enough to register these bites so it isn't possible to fish the feeder on your rod unless you have bite alarms but forget about them for now. The feeder itself varie, one you can fill with maggots so it feeds the swim around your hookbait. Others you can plug with groudbait and stuff.
Good baits to start with are maggot, caster, worm and sweetcorn.
Peletts are good for carp especially, which are all the rage at the moment, because they fight hard. You can but them from most tackle shops
Don't try catching pike on your rod, you need a rod and line strong enough to handle pike, and wire traces to prevent them biting through the line.
They will end up snapping your line if you try.

J.Tolley

burger_boy

with the phrase "Fish a float first. A feeder is a swimfeeder, no float is required as the tip of the rod goes round when you get a bite, but with a float rod the tip isn't sensetive enough to register these bites so it isn't possible to fish the feeder on your rod unless you have bite alarms but forget about them for now. The feeder itself varie, one you can fill with maggots so it feeds the swim around your hookbait. Others you can plug with groudbait and stuff."
you lost me at swimfeeder so im just gonna stick a few maggots on the end of a hook and hope, i asked about the pike cos i dont really wanna catch one!
but what is coarse fishing, is that just fishing for anything?

burger_boy

if anyone knows the lake in HAmpton hargate in peterborough, what kind of fish r in their? i know there is pike buti dont know what else, maybe some roach?

dazalio

DAZ
hey BB, you mentioned tryin to learn the lingo of the fisherman try this link:
http://www.coarsefish.net/term.htm

This should help you a lot if you come across anything you dont understand.

ALIO

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Hi Burger_Boy, welcome to MDs.

Ask as many questions as you need to, you'll get good advice on here.

I don't know the lake you refer to but somebody else might. As for fishing the Nene, you probably can, but will need to buy a day ticket and/or join a local Club.

One of the members on here, Martin, may be able to help you out with his local knowledge.

I don't know, but am assuming you are fairly young/still at school?

Is there anybody experienced you can go fishing with the first few times as that will help you get the basics right (getting the float, hook, bait, depth set correctly)?

It's probably worth going to your local library and seeing if you can get any introductory/beginners guides to Fishing - particularly "Waggler" (the type of float you will be using) or "Float" fishing.

Also, go and talk to your local Tackle Shop for information on where to fish, best baits, etc. You'll probably need to get a few bits and pieces to go with your rod & reel anyway - Disgorger, Floats, Hooks and a Landing Net come to mind.

Good luck, and I hope you enjoy yourself. You'll soon pick it up and will be passing your advice and knowledge onto other MDs [8D].

AlanP

Last edited:

burger_boy

thanks for all the help and im just about to fish on the lake 5ft away from my house, hope to catch anything but would be happy in the fact i tried if i catch nout

Lid

Welcome to MD's burger_boy. It would be better for you if you could find some-one you know who goes fishing to fish with. Do you have any friends or relatives who fish?

Lid [:)]

joe1987

'Darwener'
Yeah I bstruggled on my own for whle without anyone to help me. But then I saw the light and something said walk towards it my son, and that light was maggotdrowning.com! Look in as many books and on as many websites as you can, dont get carried away trying new things like the swimfeeders, bite alarms as the percher mentioned, stick to the float.
Ask your local tackle shop for half a pint of maggots a couple of light wagglers and some size 14 hooks and away you go.
Just a couple of easy tips ; try throwing in 4 or 5 maggots every cast(to where abouts your float is).
Dont cast to the middle of the lake, try close in next to bushes and overhanging trees and shrubs.
Try to cast in the same place each time.
Hook your maggots in the fat end.
And dont take it too seriously, have fun and dont get too annoyed if you dont catch first time, we all blank somedays. (To blank = to not catch anything!)

Hope that helps mate.

*)*Joey*(*

burger_boy

i went fishing today! yay and just practised casting and not really waiting.
i also discoverd my insane fear of maggots but im working away at that by picking them up 1 by 1, its just that they pulsate, if they didnt itd be alright.
i love the relaxing nature of the sport and cant wait to get good at it

Barrie44

' The Hulk '
You better hurry up getting use to handling maggots winter soon be here you yet have to master the heart of warming maggots up, Trick is to put them in you're mouth to get them nice and warm for those cold winter days. [^][:D]

Datafile4.asp

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Or you could do what Malc and Norm do.....

Keep your Maggot in your underpants [;)]

AlanP

joe1987

'Darwener'
Just under your tongue is the best! Or between your lip and teeth!

*)*Joey*(*

MALC

quote:Originally posted by AlanP

AlanP

Thats it pick on poor little old me.[;)][;)]

MALC
Datafile2.asp
IT'S CATCHING ...BUT ARE YOU !!!

LandnWeigh

Hi Burger Boy, I think, if dave and everyboy else agree's, that you could be just the person I am looking for to test a Land'n'Weigh handle as the biggest main market for me is the new fishermen which is'nt easy to reach advert wise as new fishermen do not normally buy a fishing mag before there equipment. If you have a net or buy a net you can attach it to LNW and when you land your fish you can weigh it straight away so long as it is worth weighing. I only operate from a village near Wisbech. Do you drive if so you can pick up a free Pleasure Handle a test it, and then give us your veiws on what you think to the product. You can call me direct on 01945 583814 and so can anybody else who wishes to purchase a LNW handle. Dave I will still donate a handle for your previous evevt mentioned and raffle.

martin.

Account Locked
quote:Originally posted by AlanP

AlanP
With norm its his little worm [:p][:D]
norm
i knew this topic would keep coming up

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile4.asp

talk fishing flip football
www.fishingvenuesuk.co.uk

martin.

Account Locked
hi burgerboy
which part of p/boro is the lake i know there are one or 2 in fletton area with pike.
if you want a days fishing on the nene the embankment in the centre of p/boro where the kay theartre is is free fishing between town bridge & slipway ext to gravel carpark.
if you want someone to fish with ill be down there with my daughter fishing sometime next week if you want your welcome to join us if you havnt got transport i can pick you up & drop you off.
My numbers are 01945 870056 or 07880 663192
if your under 16 get your mum or dad to ring me first

tight lines.
martin.
Datafile4.asp

talk fishing flip football
www.fishingvenuesuk.co.uk

burger_boy

woah talk about feedback, i cant wait to fish on the nene and do you mean that sport outside asda in peterborough? or further along?]
the land and weigh sounds good and i was wondering how muchit costs for one and if you catch a fish in the river nene (though your more likely to catch a shopping trolley) can you take it home?
thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.