June 16

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thank @Dave Spence, with a bit of sun and water almost anyone can take a half decent picture lol. There's the Thames, Waveney, Warks Avon, Itchen, Severn, Wye and Dorset Stour amongst that lot.

solwood

Site Supporter
To be honest I'd be happy fishing the wey in godalming, walk there, bailiff the stretch, and fish whip and maggot for a net of silvers

Oh just described start of last season

nejohn

Site Supporter
As I will probably be somewhere on the Wye all things being well, I would choose somewhere completely different something much smaller and more intimate so would say it would be on the Wensum somewhere maybe around bintree or lenwade

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Haven't fished a river for years but if l was tempted back it would be the Bibblins stretch of the Wye just up river from Monmouth or at Hereford between the bridges.

Barbel seeker

River Severn on the Apley estate but never go out on the 16th anyway usually give it a couple of days or so to let it calm down a little.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Blimey, you're asking me something now, it's around 50 years ago. I'm not sure to be honest. But I have fished Higgin a couple of times and here's what I remember from those outings..

Three stretches to Higgin. Pegs 1-10 in the ‘Little Field’ belonged to Notts Police Force ( don't know if it still does). Pegs 11-66 were on the Earl Manvers stretch and pegs 67 back down to 1 at the other end of Higgin are on Parkside. On Little Field and Manvers best pegs for roach were 1-8, for chub 10-14 and for bream 40-50.
Higgin is a bit further up river. I used to fish ( like you ) before the slalom course went in at HP. Feeder in the middle always beat the stick but, I couldn’t do with feeder fishing in those days.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Totally agree Mick, proper anglers did NOT fish the pig in the 70's:smoke::cool:

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Higgin is a bit further up river. I used to fish ( like you ) before the slalom course went in at HP. Feeder in the middle always beat the stick but, I couldn’t do with feeder fishing in those days.

I used to use wag and mag mate. ;)

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Would love to try the Wye but in all likelihood I'll be on the weirpool on the Worcs Stour near me or a BAA stretch of the Severn.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Most probably better than the stick there Peter as if memory serves me right it wasn’t overly deep close in. I was addicted to stick float fishing back then though. Still am if I’m honest. ??

I tried the stick, but every time I cast it in, a dog fetched it back. :eek::LOL: