Joker and Bloodworm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlythMags

Can anyone tell me why these baits are banned on a lot / waters?

Thanks

Alan G

Chopper

Quite a few reasons.

B & J is the most natural bait going, it lives in the silt of most lakes, canals and slow moving rivers unlike maggots, worms, squatts etc so why some clubs ban it I don't know.

A big reason is that most anglers are afraid of it, they would rather stick with their traditional ways of angling than spend a bit extra money and learn the art of fishing it. For example, my local club matches ban it because they know the more experienced or eager competitors will use it and take money off the people that don't and they feel it is an unfair advantage. B & J is now available to order from most good fishing shops so it's not just the 'elite' that can get hold of it and use it like it used to be.

Another reason is that some people/clubs says it catches immature fish, this is true but as I said B & J is the most natural bait going and will attract anything that swims. I have had some cracking fish on a single joker ( and lost a lot!) including chub/big perch/trout/carp, everything!

Another reason, once a venue has had some hammer with people fishing B & J then it is hard to catch on anything else, fish get accustomed to it.

I fish all year round and my theory is in winter it could be the difference between blanking or having your float go under 20/30 times. At the end of the day we all go fishing to get bites and enjoy the day out so why ban a bait that will keep anglers getting bites, catching fish and having a god days sport.

It's not rocket science, ok it takes a bit of finesse and getting used to but if more pleasure/club anglers made the effort to learn and try it they wouldn't turn back as they would be putting a lot more fish in their nets and not complaing about rubbish fishing and having a boring day.

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

norm

lee i do not agree with any of what you have just said

apart from the bit that once a fish takes it you will prob not get a bite on any thing else

the crack is that to have a fishery or start a fishery a lot of the fish have to be killed and taken away for sampling to prove that the fish are disease free

then what happens ----some one comes along with blood worm and joker that has come from a pond or river that has a disease and all there fish gets wiped out

that is from ian heaps own mouth

so if you do not believe me them complain to him

(i heard him say it to me face to face)

mike s

Norm.
We've had matches where B&J is allowed & guys fishing the pinkie have caught better.
The EA take a VERY small No. of fish for "Health Checks"
Our water has had NO incidences of disease since B&J were allowed 3 years ago.
Ian Heaps is a great angler BUT he isn't to the best of my knowledge a freshwater biologist(one of our committee members has an Honours degree in the subject & sees no problems).

Cumbria Angling Centre

Chopper

quote:then what happens ----some one comes along with blood worm and joker that has come from a pond or river that has a disease and all there fish gets wiped out

Do you think a place like Makins which has got to be one of the best fisheries in the country and is owned by British Waterways who know more about fish disease, water etc than anybody would allow B & J if it posed a threat to their lakes and fish stocks?????!!

This years division 1 national championships is being held on the Stainforth/Keadby/New Junction canal in Doncaster, this place has probably seen more Nationals than any venue. B & J has been allowed from October to March for as long as I've been fishing and there has never been any probs.

Norm, just buy a match pack from a tackle shop and give it a go, you might be pleasantly suprised [:D]

Lee Saville - Colmic Team Ossett

Individual 2002 World Club Champion, Zagreb - Croatia.
Individual 2002 Angling Times North East Region Winter League Champion.
2001 Embassy Division 1 National Team Champions.

www.colmic.com

bloodworm

more fisheries should allow it in winter,its a cracking bait,never heard of it passing on diseases though,you can go to alot of waters in the winter with pinky or squatt and get a few fish out,but put worm on and you can quadruple your catch rate,and it does/nt lie on the bottom and go stale like groundbait.

bloodworm...

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Personally I think that you've more chance of transmitting disease with damp nets than B&J.

I think the bans are just a result of the success of the bait rather than disease spread. Ian Heaps himself doesn't ban it from his own fishery but does provide landing nets and keepnets for the use of visiting anglers in order to reduce the risk of diseases being transferred into his waters.

Dave

Simon R

Site Supporter
I used to fish Winter League on the Stainy before they lifted the bloodworm ban. If you got all twelve of your team to weigh in you'd probably win the match!

IMO when the fishing's hard it can't be beaten and it isn't that expensive any more. A match pack of bloodworm and joker costs around 12 and half-a-pack is normally more than enough for a days fishing.

It isn't that difficult to use either, generally speaking you pot a load in, fish over it and then when you stop getting bites pot some more in. I know thats a gross simplification but if you can fish chopped worm you can fish bloodworm and joker.

Tight Lines

Simon

norm

fair crack lads

dave
how long has it been since ian heaps has allowed B&J on his fishery

as it was only a few years ago he said he would never allow it on his fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.