Joining an angling club

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Just thinking out loud really......

Local privately owned fishery is day ticket only, £10 a time, dawn to dusk. Shuts for three months November to January inclusive.

Have been looking at the possibility of joining an angling club, not as a way to reduce costs, ( being a golfer for years and paying quite high membership fees) but in an effort to increase the number of venues that I can fish. I'm only really interested at this stage in pleasure fishing (although the competitor in me will probably be interested in match fishing at some stage), still waters (never fished a river in my life), and a range of options.

One such possibility is Saffron Walden Angling Club SAWC, which is pretty local to me. They have 3 still water facilities, Bordeaux Pits (small and large) and Whittlesford (Longmoor) Lake. All within a 20 minute drive from home.

Annual membership is £35, which seems ridiculously cheap to me ( as I said I play golf and pay circa £1500 per annum for the privilege).

My understanding from the website is that this entitles me to fish any of the venues, whenever i like (unless there is a match arranged).

So what am I missing? Why is it sooooo cheap compared to day ticket venues??

I've emailed them via their website to request a walk around of the lakes, I've looked at the videos and it looks great, but for me a nice environment is important, spending 8-10 hours by a lake I like it to be as aesthetically pleasing as possible. Is this request likely to be granted in your opinion?

Anything else I should be aware of or look for?

Thanks in advance

Stewie

davej1981

Clubs will always work out cheaper especially if you go regularly. For starters they will most likely be non profit organisations. Even round my way club membership is around 100 but that will give access to 5/6 lakes and miles of river. At £10+ a day 10 sessions a year will break you even

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I still don't know how my club is only £12 for loads of stretches of the Thames and a couple of each of the Cherwell and canal equating to many miles of bank. Sheer weight of the number of members I suppose keeps the price down. In a normal year I get it down to like £1 a session but this year with the time off work for furlough and largely good weather I must have got it down to about £0.30p a session so far!

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
My club has 10miles of river bank and 3 club ponds for 45 a year and an extra 30 for another lake, and an exchange system with some other clubs, I've never made it to the exchange ticket water. Clubs offer great value for money. And if you ever get the hankering for matches there on offer as well, i would say you might want to get involved with a work party from time to time if you enjoy the facility's help maintain them.

Flathead

Site Supporter
Saffron Walden also have a stretch of the Great Ouse (1.5 miles) near Ely and a stretch of the Old West river.

£35 is a fair price.....most clubs in the area are cheaper than that.

Their lakes are quite heavily stocked with carp which upset a few of the members as they recently put a lot off small carp into one of them which had previously been more of a ‘specimen’ lake.....and they recently lost/gave up the lease on their carp lake at Mepal.

They run a fair few matches on their waters.

Depends what you want really but they seem to be a decent enough club.

nejohn

Site Supporter
My local club is £40 per year (£25 next year as I will be 60) for that I get access to 2 very nice still waters 2 good stretches of the river Wye and about 3-4 miles of canal, when you consider the cost of commercial day tickets its an absolute no brainer.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Saffron Walden also have a stretch of the Great Ouse (1.5 miles) near Ely and a stretch of the Old West river.

£35 is a fair price.....most clubs in the area are cheaper than that.

Their lakes are quite heavily stocked with carp which upset a few of the members as they recently put a lot off small carp into one of them which had previously been more of a ‘specimen’ lake.....and they recently lost/gave up the lease on their carp lake at Mepal.

They run a fair few matches on their waters.

Depends what you want really but they seem to be a decent enough club.
@Flathead - are you local? You seem pretty clued up on it? Have you fished the Bordeaux Pits and or Whittlesford (Longmoor)?

bettsfan

Have a hunt around Stewie and join one that suits what you want. Sudbury & Long Melford is a bit pricier but covers quite a lot of River. I am on the SUffolk/Essex Border and joined LAA just to fish for Tench in their lake at Bures, unfortunately like many other lakes Carp now dominate.
At £10 a Day Ticket you may only need 5 or 6 trips in a year to justify the outlay?

Flathead

Site Supporter
SWAC are also on Facebook....if you have not already seen it it maybe worth a look as it is fairly regularly updated.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Have a hunt around Stewie and join one that suits what you want. Sudbury & Long Melford is a bit pricier but covers quite a lot of River. I am on the SUffolk/Essex Border and joined LAA just to fish for Tench in their lake at Bures, unfortunately like many other lakes Carp now dominate.
At £10 a Day Ticket you may only need 5 or 6 trips in a year to justify the outlay?
Thanks @bettsfan , Sudbury and Long Melford is a bit of a trek to be honest, and I'm not really into rivers at this stage. It's really not about the money, as I said its pennies in the wider scheme of things. Likewise the LAA, although I do like the look of Stollies lake. You're right though, it makes sense to join a club.

I think I'll wait until SWAC respond to my enquiry, I'd really like to have a look round if possible.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Without knowing their waters, £35 doesn't seem a bad price. I pay £55 up here in Wirral, for 12 ponds plus affiliations to around 4 canal stretches & 3 river stretches. If you consider a day ticket to the average commy is £10 then you've got your money back after 4 visits in your case. It all depends on how often you use their waters. Being a member of a club also means I've made some good friends & feel part of something.

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
There are numerous clubs around here varying from about 25-150 a year. Even at the more expensive end of that, it's still peanuts compared to golf membership or football tickets, and as you say, with day ticket prices, it's not many trips to make it count. Aside from that, I flipping love the fact that I can be anti social - I think there were 3 of us on a 22 acre water yesterday.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Yes it is as simple as paying the membership fee and then fishing as often as you like. Take a look at Wellingborough's website to see what we offer for £45 (adult) a year. Miles of rivers and canals plus I think a total of 15 lakes.

Running a club that owns waters is a lot less expensive than running and maintaining a golf course with its greenskeepers and necessary buildings. Plus a lot of work is done by volunteer members in working parties and, as I have discovered, there are numerous sources of grants to help with certain expenditures.

Last edited:

Stewie74

Site Supporter
presumably details are provided when purchasing the membership book, of things such as gate access codes etc?