John Wilson

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishfinger

hi all hello.gif
i was watching John Wilson last night on home&leisure,he was fishing the river test trotting for salmon with a center pin reel and a light action rod only using bread and to my surprise he landed a common carp,a one off you may think but then he landed another,most of us can only dream of landing a river common but more than one well that got to be a one in a lifetime catch.It just go's to show you don't need to sit for 3 days behind 3 21/2lb test rod 3 big pit reels or have to use modern baits,i think going back to basics once in a while makes you think how far fishing has come and also makes you a better fisherman/woman and it's a lesson alot of young/new fishermen are missing out on,maybe be if more of us help newcomers and if thay listen of as well [:D]then the finer arts of fishing may not be lost after all thumbsup.gif

joe1987

'Darwener'
Well I sort of agree but as I haven't been coarse fishing for that long I'd like to try everything. I'm setting myself up with a carp rod, reel and bite alarm and going specimen fishing. Got a pole hoping to catch a fair few, easy to catch, mirrors on a commercial this year. Having said that I would love to go trotting with a stick float, and I like using simple baits such as corn, bread and maggot. Im sure some people will always be fishing the simple, traditional way, but fishing has and will progress more and more because some fishers just want to lie back in their bivvy send the baitboat out have a cuppa and land a fair few big carp. To me theres no challenge in that. (sorry for contradicting myself 300 times there!)

Get them rods bent, get them reels screamin', get fishin!
Toodlepip **Joe-boy**

fishfinger

the progress of fishing will get better(even though it's still good right now[:D])and that will only help us more and more,but people winge that not enough of us go river fishing but if you don't help the one that haven't fished a river before or are not as good as thay are on a pond then rivers will die off and ponds will only get bigger.There's nothing wrong with going for big fish and it's in the fisherman best intrests to use the newest gear and the newest bait after all we all would live to get our names in the record books(i know i do[:D])

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
fishfinger,
I personally fish just for the pure enjoyment. Catching a record fish does not interest me at all, mainly because the water it was caught on would soon be inundated with mindless morons intent on catching the same fish again just to be "a record holder".

I fish, just for the pure enjoyment of being with nature usually on my own but occasionally with friends. mainly those I have met through this great site.

I have never been an out and out river angler, but over the past two years I have fished some crackers. The Trent, Soar and Penk. The good thing about it is I have had some nice people teaching me (at 56) how to do it. That is what makes life so great.

Long may it continue

Geoff

Clean Banks Campaign member

martin.

Account Locked
hi fishfinger
have you ever met john wilson or seen him fish
if you watch his programs closely you may notice that the far bank can differ between him holding his rod where he is fishing & when he's landing a fish.
Also if it is being recorded on a lake then there are no fishermen in the next few pegs thats if there are any at all around.
i have my views & oppinions but then again ive seen him fish & met

tight lines.
martin.

talk fishing flip football

fishfinger

Geoff i'm with you i've fished most of my life and i'm 30 this year i've never fished a match i've never spent more than i need to on tackle(maybe thats because i'm a yorkshireman[:D]) and the ponds i fish are small out of the way ones and i try to find rivers the same.
As for your point Martin,i'm never noticed,i'll look a bit more closely next time[:D]

G

Martin, i will have to have a close look now mate, [:p][:p]

catch me if u can
Andy,

rob27

peg nine
I think his bait must differ from the one going in as well - if he is catching salmon by trotting bread!!

mike s

Anyone ever heard of prebaiting..........

Cumbria Angling Centre

brady

yeah you can catch what ever you after if you pre bait for three days and fish a private stretch ????

fishfinger

yes but if you pre-bait for one type of fish and the you don't catch that fish and you catch a totaly differant type of fish then the pre-baiting has not gone to well(i think that makes sence[:D])

the fishing pixies tell me to go fishing

carper2002

'Ronnie'
Hey whats all this salmon / bread / drop of vinegar and you have a lovely sandwich lol fellas
cheers

RONNIE (carper2002) a smoggy and proud

pikey123

don,t know what happened there.
i,ve just watched the J.Wilson fish for bream and river carp and i felt this was one of the best he has produced.i think the oxfordshire lake was a private one but hey the way he fished and the quality of those bream i thought it was interesting and amazed at what he managed to catch.
then he went and caught those carp on the test superb,and using a method i,ve never used "stret pegging" really enjoyed it.

d a pike

splodger

The problem with "go fishing" and other similar angling programmes is that they do not spend any time dealing with the terminal tackle ie:- shotting patterns,hooklenghths etc.what do we learn by watching someone play and land a big fish.
SPLODGER

fishfinger

it's true they don't learn you much but it makes me get off my butt and go fishing[:D],the rest i have got from books and other anglers or just learning from my mistakes[:D]

the fishing pixies tell me to go fishing

Status
Not open for further replies.