Jobs that no longer exist

DevonDangler

Site Supporter
The rent man that used to call every week, the people that used to call and empty the gas/electric meters, mobile shops, draymen that used to supply the pubs by horse and cart.
As far as I know Wadworths brewery in Devizes still use horse and cart to deliver their beers to local pubs. It was a lovely sight to see when I first saw it.

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
still have em on heritage lines, saw one on the telly a while back i think they were mainly a steam oriented job
Thats where the job started but all railway axles have wheels and then have tyres put on , if they get flats from skidding then the axle can be removed and put on a wheel lathe to turn them true again. If the flat is too big there is a chance of the tyre stretching and that is where the wheel tapper comes in cause it dont ring true when you whack it with a hammer.

davylad

Site Supporter
I remember Selby toll bridge, it cost only a few pence to cross the Ouse, but they took thousands of pounds. I think the council ended up buying it.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We have one near us. 50p to drive over the River Wyre at Little Eccleston
Isn't there one round your way at Knott End on Sea? Used to be in the 80's because our lorry drivers used to claim it on their expenses. Think it was around Blackpool ways

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Is the toll at Dunham Bridge still operating?

crackatoa

Site Supporter
Isn't there one round your way at Knott End on Sea? Used to be in the 80's because our lorry drivers used to claim it on their expenses. Think it was around Blackpool ways
That was probably Shard Bridge. Connected Poulton to Hambleton. Rebuilt and no longer a toll