Jobs that no longer exist

TrickyD

Site Supporter
My daughter has a scissor grinder/sharpener man come round to sharpen her dog grooming scissors and blades.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Went across a bridge down near The Rising Sun fishery a few years ago and had to pay to cross.

nejohn

Site Supporter
There is this one just outside Bath, was 50p last time I crossed it but that was about 5 years ago

the-batheaston-toll-bridge-over-the-river-avon-near-bath-somerset-england-uk-MP6722.jpg

The Landlord

Site Supporter
We had fitters,turners,welders,sheetys,electronic eng,inst mechs,elecs,plumbers,computer techs.
Now multi-skilled eng and everthing sent out to contract.
Yeah - when I worked at Levers factory in Port Sunlight we had all our own trades on site. Even glaziers.....easiest job going. They spent all day walking round the factory, checking windows & only worked if there was a broken window.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Warburton Bridge in Manchester still has toll collectors,
That barrier that supposed to register number of cars never seems to go up and down. A bit of fiddling with the cash taken used to go on.
I begrudged paying to go over the little stone bridge,
Lots of people think they are paying to go over the bridge that spans the ship canal.

Simon R

Site Supporter
Any rag and bone men about anywhere?
Get one on a weekly basis - follows the bin men around removing stuff they won't take
And another who appears less frequently
I suspect you'd get short shrift from them if you offered them rags or bone - if they can't sell it or weigh it in they aren't interested

Simon