Jigga float

mickthestick

Hod job
Site Supporter
Is it much different from fishing without a float or even the floating pole ,were most fish hang themselves , is it just a way around having to have a float on the line

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'd rather use one. With wearing glasses, it beats watching for the line going tight for bite indication.

pauln

Dreadexit
Site Supporter
jigga is IMO better when you need to fish deeper.
If you can tap while fishing silly shallow it is better without a float (again in IMO).

Zerkalo

Do you still use a bulk shot when fishing without a float? Otherwise it's similar.

johng19

me@home.com
It's a very good method on the day, some don't seem to know the differs between this and a monge rig, as for slapping it I very really do, its a lift and drop method. There are a few good vids showing you how to do it.
Iv even done this fishing on the bottom lifting a foot or two and dropping, and to good effect.

Paul22

Do you still use a bulk shot when fishing without a float? Otherwise it's similar.
Yes you do ...... a piece of line a hook and either a bb or string of no eights six inch from the hook.
The fish hang them selves on you don’t watch for bite...... it’s exactly like using a jigger only you don’t have a float which makes no difference...... the reason the jigger was invented was a lot of places and match rules said you had to have a float on the line.
It doesn’t always work but when it does it’s pretty hectic ??

johng19

me@home.com
Yes you do ...... a piece of line a hook and either a bb or string of no eights six inch from the hook.
The fish hang them selves on you don’t watch for bite...... it’s exactly like using a jigger only you don’t have a float which makes no difference...... the reason the jigger was invented was a lot of places and match rules said you had to have a float on the line.
It doesn’t always work but when it does it’s pretty hectic ??
Your right about not needing to watch for bites, but 90% of the time fishing for carp up in the water, with as what you might call a normal float, they hang them selves and you don't really need to watch the float.
It's a sliding float what you can set to slide for as much or as little as you like.
We use to fish for roach over 20 years ago the same, use to glue a piece of rubber tube to the bottom of the float stem run the line through the eye and the rubber tube, use small shot to set the distance you whish the float to move. This was all in the days of no carp.

Last edited:

Paul22

Your right about not needing to watch for bites, but 90% of the time fishing for carp up in the water, with as what you might call a normal float, they hang them selves and you don't really need to watch the float.
It's a sliding float what you can set to slide for as much or as little as you like.
We use to fish for roach over 20 years ago the same, use to glue a piece of rubber tube to the bottom of the float stem run the line through the eye and the rubber tube, use small shot to set the distance you whish the float to move. This was all in the days of no carp.
Yes I used to catch good weights of silvers using just a shot and line (no float) best silver weight doing this was 54lb ...... nothing these days but hay ho.....
Did you use shot below the float with the rig you used ?

johng19

me@home.com
Yes I used to catch good weights of silvers using just a shot and line (no float) best silver weight doing this was 54lb ...... nothing these days but hay ho.....
Did you use shot below the float with the rig you used ?
We use to shot the float with it s actual shot weight, but one shot above same as with the jigger so as you new you had reached the depth, (where as with the jigger i use a rubber float stop now) then lift and start again. The big difference was unlike the carp jigger you tend to mainly catch on the lift when we used it for roach it tended to be on the drop.