Jelly type Pellets

Dickie_P

Good Evening. I'm looking into making my own jelly pellets, but I am a bit stuck and need advice.

Now am I right in thinking I will need expander pellets to create them, then soaking them in a particular flavour and leaving overnight? I was unsure if I could use a standard pellet, but would they just fall apart when mositure is placed with them?

They will be for Tench, Crucians and Rudd on the pole if this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance Dickie

billywhizz

I use standard pellets (skretting type) to make jelly pellets more than I use expanders, mainly because of availability.

My way "it works for me" if I want fruit/sugary flavours, I will probably use a jelly powder and add any additional flavour to it if required, if I want plain pellets or want to add different type flavours, I use standard gelatine powder.

Boiling water, add the jelly/gelatine, allow to stand for 10 minutes or so to cool, add any other flavours, then drop in your pellets, pump to sink, I tend to leave in the solution for 4 or 5 minutes, then drain, put in air tight container, and put in the fridge, in the morning they are good to go.

It does depend on the type/quality of 'standard'pellets you plan on using, but I wouldn't soak the ones I use in flavours overnight, they would be mush in the morning

Hope this helps

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Have a read of my June blog post. I cover all aspects of my pellet fishing including preparation of gelatine expanders.

This month I talk about feeding.

Dickie_P

Excellent gentlemen, that is fantastic advice. I will be reading your blog Neil. Just out of interest Billy what have been your 'favourite' flavours?