Jazz music

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Any jazz fans on here? I love jazz and tend to listen to it more at this time of year, well either deep summer or over winter.

I like all types of jazz and was always warned against some critics like Philip Larkin for example who completely write off Hard Bop and concentrate only on Trad Jazz. But I do like both. The soft music thread got me listening to some stuff.

If I was going to make an all star jazz band this would be my line up.

Trumpet - Freddie Hubbard
Sax - Joe Henderson
Bass - Scott LaFaro
Drums - Tony Williams
Percussion - Max Roach
Piano - Lennie Tristano
Synth - Herbie Hancock
Guitar - Jim Hall
Vocals - Abbey Lincoln

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's not to everyones taste obviously but here's another band that would be good, would have made a good bop album.

Trumpet - Miles Davis
Sax - Wayne Shorter
Bass - Charles Mingus
Drums - Elvin Jones
Percussion - Airto Moreira
Piano - Duke Ellington
Synth - Jack DeJohnette
Guitar - George Benson
Vocals - Leon Thomas

The possibilities are endless. I also used to be into a lot of 'spiritual jazz' Alice Coltrane, Don Cherry, Pharoah Sanders, Ornette Coleman etc so there's another possible line up.

Browner

Site Supporter
Got a couple of his discs. Can certainly play the piano. Not a fan of Cleo Lane type jazz.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm a massive Joe Henderson fan and his sax playing always fills me with joy. I start listening to jazz and always end up listening to Henderson. I'm not sure who Bleeding Gums Murphy on The Simpsons was based on but his cool style always reminds me of him.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I used to go with a bird many moons ago who was always playing this album. Whenever she put it on, I knew we were going to get it on..... :love: In fact listening to this again has brought back a few memories...... :love:

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I started listening to jazz when I was about 18, the same time I stopped fishing for a while, and the first albums I bought were stuff like Pharaoh Sanders and Alice Coltrane because I liked the sound of them, and also Miles Davis and other Blue Note stuff because I'd heard he was good, but it took me a good few years of having proper jazz albums and listening to them before my ear got attuned to them and the sound. Now I can listen to all sorts of jazz but always come back to Joe.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I got put off jazz by going to trad jazz gigs in local pubs years ago... Digby Fairweather, Kenny Ball, George Melly etc etc... some of the Miles Davies stuff is very mellow though... quite like that, but mainly more of a blues man TBH

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I always used to chat to a mastering engineer who always said, "spend an hour with me and you'll be into jazz". Well I chatted to him for a good few years and that was a big influence on me. I remember one of the first tunes I heard was Herbie Hancock - Maiden Voyage and it still sounds as sweet as ever. I have to go back to stuff like Freddie Hubbard to check I still like it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
George Benson was an awesome Jazz guitarist... have a listen to Django Rheinhart too

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Miles was the man for me for Fusion jazz. Too much Flute for me in stuff like Lonnie Liston Smith though he does have some good tracks.

This is a better version of Red Clay as it has George Benson on it, video starts at the time of his solo.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
What a line up in this :love:

Freddie Hubbard, Joe Henderson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.