Jaxon Line.

trotter2

And there's the problem. Companies can make these claims, but why don't they back it up with actual evidence? e.g. a vid of how it performs under pressure. Unfortunately, I can't get to test this line in anger until maybe next Thursday because of work to be done round club waters, but it will be put through it's paces.
Totally agree imagine how bad it would be without maggotdrowner members doing the research.

Barbel seeker

Site Supporter
Thanks for posting this UK it's good that you try different lines and share with everyone, certainly put me right with the konger and steelon never looked back and after testing all last season can't see the point of paying ridiculous prices for a expensive brand that doesn't come close in my opinion, also been trying a lead woven braid called coonor all last season and am mighty impressed , this year have bought a spool of a braid called fire silk it's a p.e coated braid (polyethelene) and very strong , all except the konger used for hook lengths only , so thanks again for the heads up.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@Barbel seeker

I haven't updated this as I still haven't managed to use the Jaxon. Work on the lakes and the weather is holding me back. As soon as I'm able, I will post what I think of it in use. Because I no longer drive, I'm sort of stuck with the clubs lakes, but there's some very nice Carp in them to give the line a bit of a work out. :upthumb:

I still use the Konger and Steelon lines for float and feeder work, let's see if this Jaxon is better than my usual Carp line.

The one and only Harvey

He lives well who hides well
I fish with bits of polish tackle. Not because it is inexpensive, but because it's excellent. All my jig- and dropshot rods are polish. So are most of my spinning- and predator rods. And a deliciously light match rod from Dragon is currently my favourite float rod (Dragon Rods MegaBAITS Tactix Match - Match Rods). And Boland groundbait works very well for my needs.

jimbo1946

I have been trying this line for a number of months now in various breaking strains. I've used it for main line on feeder and waggler, hook lengths, pole rigs and found it a very nice line to use. Brilliant knot strength and very low diameter for breaking strain. Here it is in 0.14

View attachment 34274

So, I decided to try and find it for the Carp reels as the line on those hasn't been changed for a while and found this...

View attachment 34275

I tried to get it in 0.25 (13 kilo - 28.5lb) but it was out of stock so settled on the 0.27 (15 kilo - 33lb) on a 300 meter spool and it duly arrived today. A little test I did was to take 4 yards off and did a pull test using the washing pole and a set of scales. On pulling it broke at 31lb but it was only 4 yards not a 30 or 40 yard cast. Anyway, off came another 4 yards and the same test carried out and again it broke at 31lb. If nothing else it showed consistency on breaking strain. I know the test isn't definitive, but I can only work with what I have to hand. I haven't tried it in anger yet as it only arrived today but it'll be seeing an outing before too long and will post about how it performs, but to be honest, it spools up fine and no twists.
As for hooks, it goes through the eye of a size 10 Kamasan B911 twice (in 0.27) so no problem with making up some hair rigs with it. Why a size 10? Well, that's the maximum hook size allowed round here.

A little tip for those new to either Carping or on rivers after Barbel/river Carp, make sure your line goes through the eye of the hook twice when tying hair rigs. I have seen situations where hooks and line have been bought only to find the eye too small or the line too thick.
If those figures are anywhere near achievable,it makes the likes of Maxima seem positively obsolete!

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Like all lines from the area the breaking strains are well overstated as the main thing the Europeans look at is diameter.
One of the ways that they get around the lies is to state that the line can land 10kg fish which means nothing.
The European Fishing Tackle Trade Association started a charter for the people selling lines to state that the figures stated where up to 5% of the stated strength. It was a bit slow getting started but once an Italian firm had been prosecuted under the rules more of the companies around the main part of Europe started correcting some of the packaging.
If they could do the same with braid it would be great :whistle: 2020-07-26 20.19.12.jpg

adriang

Site Supporter
Based entirely on this thread, I bought some of the .10 mm (up to 2kg) and .12 (up to 3kg) to use for stick float fishing as I was struggling to find any shops with bayer in stock. Ironically, both the jaxon and the bayer arrived on Saturday, so I spooled up 2 abu 506 spare spools, one with bayer, one with the .10 jaxon. As the jaxon has 150 m, I decided that was enough for 2 spools, so 110 handle winds works out to be about 71 m.

Used the jaxon on Sunday while fishing the Thames, so this is only one session, but so far, so good. I fished the stick, but I have to say that I take my rigs on winders, so the business end is Drennan float fish, and I'm a fisherman who continually tinkers with depth, shot patterns, etc. So the next rigs I make up, I will try the jaxon.

As a reel line, firstly it is a lot better than the Drennan floatfish that came off, which had turned quite springy and just not working for me. The jaxon is either neutral density or floats, I had no problem using it without treating it to float.

To be fair, nothing really big, but I was in the snags under my feet a few times, and I didn't have problems with brittleness, crack offs, etc. So far, so good.

trotter2

It's OK does the job and its cheap as chips. Is it as strong as stated no, but I would not expect it to be. Would I buy it again maybe.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I'm still using it since posting about it. I use it on my Carp rods and it hasn't let me down yet. Biggest Carp so far on the Jaxon is 27lb 5oz.