java virtual machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

ian

Hull,Afghanistan
im on xp and on some sites usually chat based im prompted to download java virtual machine,unfortunately the download doesnt always happen.
Apparently some versions of xp dont contain this java business,you can download it on service pack 1 but thats not available either plus ive been told downloading this service pack can damage xp in some way....can someone enlighten me please, cheers !

ian

Tony

I'm not sure so please ask further but I think Microsoft had a legal battle over the use of Java and they lost which is the reason why they no longer support it.

Tony

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Tony your right, in fact they were so p****d off at losing they removed java and started closing down all the free sites that contained the down load. Not being able to use java is a proverbial pain in the bum.
Ian you have mail.

chill out go fishing

1manandhisrod

we'll im on xp too,I did a search but just got microsoft rubbish...i updated my pc,till there was no down load updates left.I STILL GET MESSAGES TO DOWNLOAD JAVA>I think bill gates is cheesed off because he didnt come up with it first!

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Microsoft actually improved Java which I think it was Sun didnt like so they sued Microsoft and won. MS was given a date by which they had to change there version so in spite they just wiped there version out. I was lucky I lost java and was able to find a down load. I did down load Suns version but it wasnt as good as MS's. When I did locate a MS version I saved it on a CD. So if xp does crash I can reload it.

chill out go fishing

Trevski

Point of order Mr Chairman!

The reason Sun sued Microsoft WAS because they "Improved" Java. The problem being
that Java was supposed to be platform independent and was designed as such.

Any Java program in theory could be executed and run on any device on any OS using
any browser.

Microsoft however decided that they would improve on it and shoved a load more
functionality into the MS version. Result? Java was no longer platform independent
with users of other browsers and devices having problems with certain sites.

Tut. Tut. Naughty Bill.

AlanP

'EastAngler'
Trevski

Are you implying that Bill and his mates at MS would deliberately attempt to "lock users in" to their OS and applications?

Surely not [:D][:D][:D].

BTW - I don't blame him really, any other businessman would attempt to get captive customers and a monopoly if he could. It's just that MS have been very good at this strategy over the years.

AlanP

Trevski

quote:Are you implying that Bill and his mates at MS would deliberately attempt to "lock users in" to their OS and applications?

Moi? [:I][;)]

"I have no recollection of that event."

Status
Not open for further replies.