Japan

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Thoughts about Japan? Ever been there? I've always wanted to go but never had the chance.

For a while you could have called me a Japanophile. There was a time when they seemed very futuristic, leading in technology and culutural stuff. But that seems to have faded now?

A lot of people, my parents generation and older, might still see them as a brutal nation for things they did during WW2 especially.

But from an orientalist perspective they still seem like a pretty impressive country no?

Try to avoid nudge nudge wink wink remarks about Squid etc. ;)😆

davepellet

my oldest son & my daughter have had a passion for the Far East for many years, especially South Korea & Japan...
son has been to South Korea 4 or 5 times, can't recall & the only reason he didn't go 2020 was the obvious...

Daughter is saving all her money for a trip out there... not sure which she'll choose to visit, but both very appealing... hoping my son accompanies her for a bit of worldly experience...

culture based on honour, respect & dignity... far far away from what the majority of Brit's aspire towards...
...hot tubs in the garden, flash car on the drive & psuedo-celebrity loud-mouth lifestyle...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
South Korea I have been less interested in though I was just reading a book on them.

Screenshot 2021-02-11 at 18.16.47.png

Japan. I'd love to go. My mates brother speaks the language fluently and works in Washington for a Japanese company. I remember studying Japanese business practises when I was at uni. What I would say though is any adult that has an anime avatar on social media probably needs to grow up. 😆 But I love the history of Japan, it does have darker stuff, like if you research Unit 731, but it also prospered because of some of its darker traits, the sense of national pride they have meant they adopted Western approaches to politics to during the Meiji Restoration as they were awed by Western War Ships and wanted to compete.

davepellet

didn't they collaborate with the US to build the largest 'unsinkable' pacific air-craft carrier? I know their military (or the 'Japanese self-defence force' as they are still not allowed to have an offensive military) ties to the US are very strong

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I haven't met that many Japanese people, a few tenants through my job, but there seems to be a lot more Chinese living in this country.

Famous haiku...

The old pond;
A frog jumps in —
The sound of the water.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Whilst it wasn`t my intention to splinter the post I find it impossible to talk about certain countries without recent stuff {recent as in
historical terms} springing to mind. The Japanese were cruel beyond belief, remember they were modern sophisticated people with
not just culture but engineering skill to match. These people had no excuses and got what they deserved.

Not trying to hijack but this is my take on Japan. After the fall of Nazi Germany the Russians took the attitude `what Germany has
knocked down Germany will rebuild`. The allies in my opinion should have taken the same stance and included Japan.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's good to get differing opinions, I expected a few, so don't worry about splintering the thread.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Whilst what is done is done I don`t think we {Britain} can truly reconcile whilst we have our noses rubbed in it at the drop of a
hat, slavery etc. I would like to think in a few generations the whole world will be a happier place. This will only happen if bad
feeling over cultures being watered down ceases, it is ironic {in my view} that moderate nationalism is the way forward.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm fairly positive about the British Empire and its legacy, a defender of it, hate having stuff that happened years ago like the Opium Wars with China rammed down by throat, but so were the Japanese. They referred to the height of British Empire as a period known as Pax (Peace) Britannia. I think I'd prefer good relations with a country like Japan than a lot of countries but maybe naive in my view with the emergence of Eastern Superpowers.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Peter Ustinov (don't really like him much as an actor but this quote always stood out to me). He was also President of the World Federalist Movement.

"People are annoyed with the Chinese for not respecting more human rights. But with a population that size it's very difficult to have the same attitude to human rights."
I'd agree with him on stuff like their One Child policy. But other parts of the Chinese government are truly terrifying to me.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Given the size of China perhaps communism is the only type of regime that could keep it under control. Mind you that`s easy
for me to say I don`t have to live under it.

The world federalist movement? Never heard of it, who`s in charge, Merkal?

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I love Japanese music or music influenced by Japan. They even had a Techno scene to rival the UK, Detroit or Berlin. Alongside rock bands like Boris. Or even Yellow Magic Orchestra. Lots of Jazz greats played and did live albums there.

Nice footage of Tokyo and a chilled tune here.

Not that into rock but did like this song based on a famous Japanese pop song.

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
I'd love to go to Japan. I also rather fancy Singapore too. We did two weeks in India last year before lockdown - fabuloso!

Reuben

Site Supporter
Went there for a couple of weeks many years ago whilst on leave. I liked it. I liked the Japanese too, quite reserved & very polite. It’s the only place I’ve ever been where there were separate towels in the bathrooms for above & below the waist! Bloody expensive place though, even 35odd years ago.