Jamie Hughes - Matrix Submerged - Pole fishing (part 1)

notneeded

The 1st pie winner 2019
Site Supporter
Total
It was a heads up to Kev if he hadn't seen it
Not a pi?? take
Sorry scribe .

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
its a shame Rob didnt pull rather than lift the bait in each scenario, hopefully will be in part 2

hope the "Human Fish" nickname sticks as he must have been a fish in a past life lol

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
its a shame Rob didnt pull rather than lift the bait in each scenario, hopefully will be in part 2

hope the "Human Fish" nickname sticks as he must have been a fish in a past life lol
I want him at my peg to pull the bait into my feed 😉

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Fascinating. Lots of little things you might miss so I would recommend watching more than once.

Dead depth, accuracy of feeding & float positioning, backshot, shotting pattern, dropper shot size, dotting down, Effect of tow & skim.

I will certainly be using shorter hooklengths next Winter. Not sure though the length is critical if the fish are sucking the bait up rather than lifting it off the bottom. But well worth experimenting with.

Would be nice to see the effect of bait being sucked into the fish's mouth. Possible to re-create with a pump.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The dead-depth part amazed me. How many times do we set the floats to 'dead depth' using the bristle as a guide?
Here Jamie uses the float body to set the depth that way it allows for the line curve. I suppose when we fish 'an inch over depth' in reality we are only just touching the bottom, assuming the bottom is flat that is.

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
i havnt set any float to dead depth (i.e to the bristle height i want to fish to) for years after watching/reading how its a bad idea, though i will admit that what i learnt was setting the depth to the base of the float body, will be interesting to change that to half of the body, obviously depending on the body size!

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
The dead-depth part amazed me. How many times do we set the floats to 'dead depth' using the bristle as a guide?
Here Jamie uses the float body to set the depth that way it allows for the line curve. I suppose when we fish 'an inch over depth' in reality we are only just touching the bottom, assuming the bottom is flat that is.
Yes and how deep the lake is if its deeper I would say you would have to allow more because of stretch if using nylon

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Total
It was a heads up to Kev if he hadn't seen it
Not a pi?? take
Sorry scribe .

No worries mate I remember you telling me about this at Janson's and pointing me towards one of Jamie's previous video's where he explains the thinking behind it. Makes a big difference actually seeing it underwater though. (y)

lp1886

Site Supporter
Yes and how deep the lake is if its deeper I would say you would have to allow more because of stretch if using nylon
It may be the same because usually deeper means using a heavier float, which in turn means more weight on the line pulling down to straighten the line. It’s definitely food for thought, and shows why little changes can make a huge difference. Either way, us anglers have never it so good at seeing what’s actually going on under the water.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
At one point I thought Rob was going to end up with a hook embedded in his finger. Isnt Jamie a nice bloke ? 👍