Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tackle Guru

DENTY JOINS THE GURU GANG!
1f4a5.png
1f44f_1f3fc.png
We’re delighted to welcome England International, Drennan Barnsley Blacks team member, and all-round angling ace, JAMES DENT, to the Tackle Guru team!
1f3a3.png
James has been incredibly successful on the top level match fishing circuit since been a school boy, and possesses an unrivalled record on so many different venues throughout the UK and Europe!
1f30e.png

Excited and buzzing for the future, James said:
“Making the move to another sponsor was a hard one and a really big deal for me personally. I’ve actually been at MAP Fishing for over 13 years, and that company did so much for me in terms of support for my fishing. For that, I’ll always be extremely grateful. I am however, really looking forward to getting stuck into action with Guru. I’ve definitely been a little quiet on my own media front before now, and it will be great fun promoting what I’m doing in my fishing more with this team! This year is looking super busy already, with events like the World Club Championship in Belgium on the horizon with the Barnsley team, as well as Feedermasters and Riverfest qualifiers to enter. I’m also keen to get involved with Guru’s Under 15s England team, and will be travelling to Slovenia as coach with Matt Godfrey and the squad in August. Oh, not forgetting the Walterland Masters in Hungary first in April too!”
Guru’s Brand Manager, Adam Rooney, added:
“Everyone at Guru has always thought and talked very highly of James, and we like the fact that he simply lets his fishing do the talking. He’s a fantastic all-round angler, and has an amazing personality that is very calm and collected. It will also be exciting to follow and support him through his fishing as a brand. He does so much different stuff, not just in the UK but Europe too! I’m also sure he’ll contribute heavily in terms of product ideas and development, it’s fantastic to have him as part of the team!”

Total

Site Supporter
Shows out out of touch i am but who? Never heard of him😟
I wouldn't say that Mr Pies...James Dent is one of those types who let's his fishing do the talking. Doesn't make a fuss, or shout from the rooftops but a very very capable angler over many disciplines.

A Barnsley Black and England international. "The future is Orange" ....

jononcb

Shows out out of touch i am but who? Never heard of him😟
James is a quiet lad who doesn't post on Social Media although this might change now he has joined Guru?!
A ridiculously good natural water angler though whose results just do the talking.

I've just finished fishing the Hallcroft teams of 4 Silvers Winter League fishing against him.
Bear in mind these are all 72 peg matches with a very high standard of angler.
In 8 rounds he won the matches outright 4 times and 2nd overall twice.
The other 2 rounds were "only section wins" 🤣🤷‍♂️🔥

Total

Site Supporter
James is a quiet lad who doesn't post on Social Media although this might change now he has joined Guru?!
A ridiculously good natural water angler though whose results just do the talking.
I did wonder how the 'Guru' affect would sit with James's normal quiet/minding ones own business way....We'll certainly find out....I wish him much success with Guru.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Not a surprise in all honesty. A very good angler who has a low profile on social media.
If I'm honest I feel that MAP have only themselves to blame for the recent loss of Andy May and now James Dent. In comparison with other major brands the company website is pretty poor IMO and their Social Media presence is relatively low key which does them no favours. In fact i would argue that the majority of anglers would struggle to name an angler sponsored by MAP in the last couple of years other than Andy May.

scuttster

Site Supporter
Not a surprise in all honesty. A very good angler who has a low profile on social media.
If I'm honest I feel that MAP have only themselves to blame for the recent loss of Andy May and now James Dent. In comparison with other major brands the company website is pretty poor IMO and their Social Media presence is relatively low key which does them no favours. In fact i would argue that the majority of anglers would struggle to name an angler sponsored by MAP in the last couple of years other than Andy May.
Though whilst Guru do have an excellent social media presence their own website could do with updating.

Under the products they don’t list the n gage rods and they still show the original limited edition seatbox. Surely a decent online catalog listing all current products and information about them should be essential. A lot of online shops have no detail about the products just name and picture so most people would assume the manufacturers site would contain specs.

The last time the news section was updated was January 2020. Lots of new products and signings. Surely their own news section should have had new about the stolen seat boxes and information about registering the genuine purchases.

A lot of the videos say they don’t exist or have been set to private. Yes they probably are all on YouTube somewhere but it isn’t good when browsing the site and it says you can’t see it.

The profiles of The Gurus haven’t been updated with some of the signings nor existing Gurus updated with the tackle they are using.

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Fair comment Mark having just taken a look at the Guru site for the first time in a while. :upthumb:

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Never heard of 'im....🤷‍♂️

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
@scuttster, I messaged Adam Rooney about the Guru website and he said that they have been working on a new interactive site that will hopefully set new standards for an angling brand website, but due to Covid it’s been delayed, they are now hoping to have it on line by September/October.

scuttster

Site Supporter
@scuttster, I messaged Adam Rooney about the Guru website and he said that they have been working on a new interactive site that will hopefully set new standards for an angling brand website, but due to Covid it’s been delayed, they are now hoping to have it on line by September/October.
Thank you for the info @Peter hopefully it'll be good then. It's just a shame they couldn't have created a temporary site with current product specs listed or kept the existing one updated in the meantime.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The problem with most manufacturers, clubs, businesses, etc, and not just specific to angling, is they let their websites fall into the cyber equivalent of disrepair in favour of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
However what most fail to realise is whilst such may be the easiest way to reach out to people compared to updating a website, there are an awful lot of people, potential and existing customers who don't use social media let alone 'follow' individual companies.
They're missing out on a massive chunk of customers.

Another thing is the content they put on the social media platforms is never theirs to keep - if that platform goes down, ceases to exist, or becomes tumbleweed town, then so does their content. Take MySpace for example, and I'm sure there's many others that have faded away into obscurity.

A decent database driven website with a good CMS (content management system) on a server can be backed up, restored, moved, updated with ease, still allow interactivity with customers and becomes a focal point for the brand.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Thank you for the info @Peter hopefully it'll be good then. It's just a shame they couldn't have created a temporary site with current product specs listed or kept the existing one updated in the meantime.
Given what I heard in AD today most of the tackle companies have 3/5ths of naff all to advertise as there's naff all stock in the warehouses, so its pointless rushing out a new website...

Addendum..
I finally got the pair of top 2's for christmas the wife ordered on 11th Dec... only 10 weeks wait, if this is the norm there'll be a few unhappy punters out there

pies

Site Supporter
The problem with most manufacturers, clubs, businesses, etc, and not just specific to angling, is they let their websites fall into the cyber equivalent of disrepair in favour of social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
However what most fail to realise is whilst such may be the easiest way to reach out to people compared to updating a website, there are an awful lot of people, potential and existing customers who don't use social media let alone 'follow' individual companies.
They're missing out on a massive chunk of customers.

Another thing is the content they put on the social media platforms is never theirs to keep - if that platform goes down, ceases to exist, or becomes tumbleweed town, then so does their content. Take MySpace for example, and I'm sure there's many others that have faded away into obscurity.

A decent database driven website with a good CMS (content management system) on a server can be backed up, restored, moved, updated with ease, still allow interactivity with customers and becomes a focal point for the brand.
Maybe its just me, but you sound like you done this before