Izzack Walton update

Status
Not open for further replies.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
I arrived last, just visiting to be met with the comments that the car carrying our glorious leaders had broken down at Stafford the problem being the clutch. (Stu faces BIG repair bills). I was sitting with Zip and looking over to Wendy a sad looking crestfallen Wendy. She had just answered her mobile put it down then stood up. Where had she put her phone? In her lap where did the phone go? yes you guessed it splash in 8 feet of water. Despite repeated attempts at trawling with various landing nets the result was 1 tin can 8 roach and 1 perch. Wendy then went on to blank. Her PC is down so shecant get on line to defend herself. Later another visitor was being helped to land a nice carp as the net was being lifted crack went the pole snap went the line. The CURSE lives on it is spreading through out the Maggotdrowners be warned your time is nigh. The MD polo shirts did not appear the supplier let us down.
Despite this the sun shone down benevolently on this meeting, fish were caught and tales were told. It took me the best part of 4 hours to walk around the pool, putting names to faces faces to names I enjoyed it all the chat the banter. At 4.00 we piled into Geoffs swim for the group photo Poor Wendy the ribbing and mickey taking knew no bounds. Trev was silenced by the award of a little trophy by our leader.
All the time I was there, there was a feeling in the air carried strongly on the breeze of camerarderie Like minded people doing what they love best. Long may this continue. Angling is alive and well and as long as we as members of MD continue to meet then it will go on for ever. To end a big thank you to all those who I met and chatted to I enjoyed it all and look foreward to the next time. John

chill out go fishing

G

Thanks for the report esox.20,sounded like a very good day,
but did you forget something ? what was caught? or did the Zippy curse strike {LoL}there too.
Are we going to see the group foto on the forum? i hope so,once again esox.20thanks for your report
Toma beer-toast1.gif

Larry

Lazarus
Well i'm glad poeple caught fish.sorry to here of Stu's car problem's hope Stu &Dave Caught some fish to make up for it,Wendy sorry to here about your phone ,But i hope you enjoyed meeting all the maggotdrowner's at 4'oo when you were al having your photies took i was leaving the hospital after visiting my dad.It look's as though we are building a good camaraderie amongst the maggotdrowning crew wished i could have been with you but heart was with you all .Hope i can make the next one.

Cheer's Larry

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Arrived at about 5.30am,to find Les already looking round,There was a full moon in the west and a fair old frost on the ground.As the sun rose in a clear blue sky the mist was rising off the water,rabbits were bounding around (Easter Bunnies ???)and a couple of cock pheasants were strutting their stuff.
It's at times like this that i'm glad to be an angler.

As to the day itself,what can i say? Great surroundings, Great company and a few fish caught to boot.Nobody really bagged up and poor Wendy lost her phone in the lake (well she did give Trev a big hug on arrival)and has learnt all about THE CURSE.

Most importantly faces were put to previously unseen posters,and aquaintances renewed,tips were imparted,tales shared and jokes told(mostly featuring Wendy and her phone)At 4pm we rounded off with a group photo and a small presentation to Trev (or was it a sacrifice to try and appeaseTHE CURSE)

Finally a big Thank You to all who attended,and made it a day that will long be remembered for all the right reasons and demonstrated the true spirit of Maggotdrowning.com.

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
Well lads, made it home!!
Cant do Justice to this topic tonight, so watch out for tomorrows post!
(set off at 5.15 am, last off lakes , went to see alan, arrived home 9.30 passing wife who was going for a drink with our friends! they were expecting me back lol)
However, just have to post a few bits! Firstly , Sorry about the car Stu, Sorry about the phone Wendy and even more sorry that everybody blamed me!!!!!
Thank you everyone for a great welcome and Geoff and Ray for starting the ball rolling!

Thank you Geoff for my plaque, much appreciated!

Thank you Ray for the trolley, you wouldnt allow me to pay for it, but I would ask Geoff to buy you a drink at your Whiteacres holiday, on me outta the raffle money from Wraysbury lol (Have 1 yourself too Geoff!)

And finally , a very big thank you for the MD 2002 Trophy that I received!
A permanent reminder of just what a great bunch of people you all are!

Will post tomorrow,and perhaps include a few you missed lol!

Cya

Trev

Ziptrev ape.gif I do NOT BELIEVE it

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

Well we finally made it back to Leeds at 9.00pm after a couple of 'Very Nice Men' from the 4th emergency service relayed us and the stricken Mondeo home.

What a day and what company. I personally wish to thank you all for the company, the laughs and the comradery, especially thanks to Trev for finding myself and Stu and not only picking us up from the garage but also taking us back at the end of the day.
Here is the group photo, I'm the one behind the camera, Wendy is the one without the phone
group.jpg
quote:On the far left is John (Esox) next to him is Polepot (Nick) followed by Malc in the black cap. I am the one with the easter white bunny on my chin. The tall guy in the blue fleece is Daifish, with Scott looking over his shoulder (trying to hide but at 6+ it is hard) With the blue cap is my co conspirator Ray and the one partly hidden behind Essex girl (sorry Wendy) is Stu. PJ is the marathon Zimmer frame runner with Waxlion (Wayne) in front of him. (The one wearing a tablecloth)
Kneeling in the fron is Peter (Wet walls - yes I said walls). Les Middy is standing directly behind Peter with Maggot Drowners very own Trevor (the curse) Manning in the christmas special jumper - Geoff

There's more to follow and I'll put together a 'Been Fishing' report shortly.

It's days like today that really shows me that the work that goes into the site is all worthwhile, here's to the next time.......hopefully not too far in the future.

Regards to you all, Dave

Edited by - Dave on 31 March 2002 10:03:56 AM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Snot fair i couldn't go

I was glad that i got to meet up with some of you at work & a big thank you for coming to see me (cheered me up a bit).

Wendy unlike this cruel lot i won't take the p... about you losing your phone, S'funny though cos i keep getting funny phone calls n all i can hear is glug glug LOL.

Dave it might help if you were to put the names on the bottom of the photo post so all those who don't know the cursed one is in the middle with the Hat on, the cockney wannabe rebel is kneeling down, esox looks nothing like an esox (till you upset him) (he's the one on the left with the hedge on his face) Geoff is the little ugly git at the back with the hedge on his face, Dia Fish is the big evil looking f....... at the back (on the left of Trevs head), Wendy is obvious (shes the only one worth looking at LOL) sod it i'm knackered n i'm going to bed (BTW Ray is the one with all the car stereos stuffed up his blue fleece behind Wendy LOL)

I'm off to bed cos i've got work in JESUS 4hrs
i've gotta get a better job LOL
(do you think i should open a garage n get the AA to tow gormless yorkshire men in to it) LOL

Alan
You've just been moderated

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Names - yes please. Could some one post a "from left to right, top row are .......".

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Little did Ray and myself think, when we arranged to meet up before our trip to Cornwall, that we could have been hijacked by so many people on what turned out to be a wonderful day.

I didn't catch many fish, but then I didn't expect to, I think I spent most of the day talking and not paying attention. Thank you for all those who turned up, even those Welshmen.

Just a quick list for Newt. On the far left is John (Esox) next to him is Polepot (Nick) followed by Malc in the black cap. I am the one with the easter white bunny on my chin. The tall guy in the blue fleece is Daifish, with Scott looking over his shoulder (trying to hide but at 6+ it is hard) With the blue cap is my co conspirator Ray and the one partly hidden behind Essex girl (sorry Wendy) is Stu. PJ is the marathon Zimmer frame runner with Waxlion (Wayne) in front of him. (The one wearing a tablecloth)
Kneeling in the fron is Peter (Wet walls - yes I said walls). Les Middy is standing directly behind Peter with Maggot Drowners very own Trevor (the curse) Manning in the christmas special jumper.

A few more came, Wendy brought down the entire white population of Oldham for a boys outing into the country, while Malc brought his mate along. Emma wouldn't come cos she didn't want to show her dad up.

A few of us went in to see Trogg before we returned home. Nice to see you again Alan, hope you can make it next time.

Once more a big thank you to everybody for making the day "Special". I'm glad you all got home safely and we really will have to do this again.

To Malc and Ray, see you in 41 days, last one in Cornwall buys the drinks.

I will leave the fishing reports to those who can wax far more lyrical than myself.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Edited by - Geoff P on 31 March 2002 06:28:36 AM

Edited by - Geoff P on 31 March 2002 07:05:00 AM

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Geoff - thank you for that. Nice to put some faces with the names.

Glad to see there are at least a couple of you with manly beards. I sorta worry about those folks (he folk that is) whose hair is all on top. LOL

Newt Vail

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Newt I grew my beard after leaving the Army. Had to shave every day for nearly 10 years. Since 1974 I have only shaved when the fleas got too active, and it also makes up for having no hair on top.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

MALC

It was nice to meet up and put faces to names, as everybody else has already said it was a great day out in pleasant company with great conversation and brilliant weather.

Thanks everybody for an enjoyable day out. thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif P.S.
The CURSE got me on the way home we hit a rain storm on the M6 at Coventry and the drivers side wiper motor packed up which caused a few laughs as i fixed it on the hard shoulder.

Geoff n Ray.
Looks like the first round at WhiteAcres is on me the wife say's we aint leavin till around 9ish so wont be there till 2 or 3.

Malc ghost.gif ZIPPY CURSE CLUB MEMBER

Stu

Cant drink anymore
Site Supporter
What a day,

It was great to put Names to faces and have a natter with you lot,
But most of all a million thanks to Trevor for picking Dave & Myself up and returning us to Halfords Cheers Trev

Stu

waxlion1

Good day was had by all!

Thanks for organizing it folks,

"polepot" maybe No4 elastic is a little light for this venue..

Malc thanks for the wheat stuff

ENJOYED meeting you all, lets do it again very soon!!.

Waxlion1

norm

i wish i had of been there now
i would love to have compared our jumpers zip
thanks for putting names to the pics geoff

it isint the size of the tiddler that counts

ray

wave.gif

september 2001, whiteacres, met geoff in the tackle shop, we had a day at bolingy lake, had a fantastic days fishing together, during our day i told geoff about a web site that i used, after the holiday was over we kept in touch and geoff introduced me to maggotdrowners.com

seven months later, not only do i meet up with geoff again but also with a crowd of maggotdrowners, what can i say, a good day was had by all.

i would like to say a big thank you to all maggotdrowners, not only the ones who attended but also the rest of ya for making the day, without the m/d site this would not of been possible.

thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif thumbsup.gif

i dont spoil your fishing, so dont you spoil mine......take your rubbish home.
original "clean banks campaign" slogan.

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Geoff P I grew my face fungus to cover up an ugly mush. (that stops Trogg posting a sarcky reply)(hes only got a pretend beard) after 28.5yrs of being in uniform and having to be clean shaven. Its not the fleas that cause me problems its the mice and blackbirds nesting.

chill out go fishing

Ziptrev

05/10/01 - 18/10/02
In Memoriam
The totality of a Fishing trip is something that my Non-Angling friends never ever quite seem to grasp!
Some 10 miles from my house is the County Town of Matlock, Derbyshire.
A small rural town, beautifully set amongst the soaring Pennines and bisected by the rushing,foaming River Derwent, which must be crossed by the only Bridge, smack in the Town Centre, if you are following the A6, East/West road or vice versa.

A beautiful town and a thriving tourist centre, but never more so than at 5.30 on Saturday morning, as I pulled up at the traffic lights and was startled at the sudden alarming clapping of the flock of 50 or so Town Pigeons exploded in fright at my appearance!
I watched them twisting and wheeling ,up to the roof-tops and reflected that it was all for me!
As was the Town, as there was no-one else in sight and I had all this beauty in splendid isolation.

All of the normal! Non-fishing people miss this side of life! and coupled with an eager sense of anticipation at the forthcoming fish-in, I was truly content with my lot as I crossed that picturesque River Bridge and made my way through Derwent Country, Dove Country and on to the Sow.

Typically, Les was the last person to decide to join the fish -in and thus the 1st to arrive!
Peter, having experienced all sorts of trauma and doubtful until the very end was the second and I, with my cunning plan for early attendance the 3rd!

The reasons I had set off to be there early were simple!
Firstly, I'm still a big kid at heart, can't wait for anything! and want good things to go on as long as possible!
Secondly, On the Izaak Walton site, it describes that 'Orange badge holders may drive to the peg'
Now it doesn't say thay this is only possible in fine weather, but as I had been there before, I knew it to be the case.
However I reasoned that, with the nice weather we had been having, I may just be able to arrive early, sneak down to the peg and unload the mass of gear, that despite all the problems it causes me!, I just dont feel comfortable fishing without it. AND as a Tackle Tart, one has a reputation to keep up lol

I pulled up by the car park, saw my 2 friends cars there and proceeded to drive past the park and top lake, down the track by middle lake, intending to empty the car and run it back up to the park, with no-one the wiser!
It was not to be!

Suddenly! from out of nowhere! up popped an irate little Gnome, waving , of all things, a bloody shotgun at me!!!
This was Paul, the Fishery owner, who has obviously never attended a customer satisfaction course in his life!
He has more Bans in a days fishing than the average Church will post in 100 years of marriage services!
My blood ran cold and through my mind ran the imagined post on the MD's forum for tomorrow!

'Great day, caught lots of Fish, Zippy shot early on!!!!'
Well, I let him rant on for the 3-4 minutes that he seemed to need, waved my Orange Badge at him with a stuttered explanation, and reversed back to the car park.
By this time Les and Peter had arrived back from thir peg inspection and far from sympathetic as I expected! muttered something like " Serves you right you daft B-----d, We aint pushing you out!" The incident ended with Paul jerking back the bolt , just to show me that a live round was in the gun I assume!

He then collected our money and apart from learning later on that he had yet another mobile in his Lakes, that was the only time I saw him smile!

So, along with Peter and Les, I set off loaded with kit to the bottom Pool.
Choosing open pegs and leaving the Island pegs for the later arrivals (thus avoiding criticism that we got there early to nick the best swims!) Peter and Les started to set up, whilst I returned to the car for my 2nd lot of kit!!!

Heres Les and Peter setting up and Peter with the second Carp of the day (and its not even 7.40!

Finally having installed the rest of my kit behind my peg! I started to set up,but Peter the Matchman, was ready! fishing ! and catching!!!! before I had even unzipped my Rod Bag.
Before 8.00 am , He had 3 carp and a Tench (the 1st live Tench I,ve seen this year,) but was too quick replacing the 1st fish, so that went unrecorded!

I finally was set up and fishing,started to catch several small Roach, Rudd, Perch and a Gudgeon, but then the interuptions came thick and fast!
Firstly, others began to arrive! Wendy with Oldham, Geoff and Dai, Waxi,PJ and all!
Then the mobile phone and text messages were discovered (Unheard during my drive)
Les, voice brimming with pride that he had safely navigated his way there 1st! (Well I sent him a map yesterday!)
Toma! a text wishing us all 'Good Fishing' Thanks Andy!! Thoughtful and appreciated.

Waxi! 1 of his famous 'nearly there' texts!

Then the dreaded phone burst into life and displayed WEBBO on the screen.
On talking to our beloved leader, I discovered that although they had made Stafford, the car (Stu's) had had enough and they were in the process of being towed to a Repairers!
I agreed with Dave that he phone me as soon as he was ready for collection and quietly thought 'Always something!'
Thus it seems to be!
Duly Dave rang and I collected him and Stu, who had managed to avoid murdering the Halfords unhelpful staff (just)
and we got them back , down to the pegs and I returned to fishing.

My swim was now dead, Peters had dried up, Les had stopped catching the better stamp of Roach and it was generally behaving like a typical Commercial Carp fishery!
Nearly every peg was filled! the bait and noise was all around and the fish ran for cover,
I had in haste, mixed a lousy ,stodgy groundbait,was using a large chunk of meat on a carp rod and fishing a long rod waggler, close to the margins!
I had decided to ignore Scotts advice and see if that meat would work! (more later), but here I must apologise to Scott!

The only person I didnt meet yesterday as we weren't introduced!
Tried to E-Mail you Scott, but you have no profile E-mail address, so Sorry Scott and I did appreciate your peg description and methods Post. Next time I hope!!
Then came the good /bad incidents that so often coincide!

Firstly, I had a surprise visitor!
Amongst all the hustle and bustle, a Pheasant sauntered into my peg, perhaps looking for food, but a handsome and welcome sight!
Then a cry of despair! and it was discovered that Wendy had lost her phone!
As she had given me a big hug on arrival, Naturally it was all my fault! and the curse reared its head again.

The pleasant Pheasant and the Worse Curse

From 2.00 Oclock, many of us ceased Fishing and wandered round meeting each other! Some were doing well, Dave had 7, Dai was hitting them, The Oldham boys had a near double, but everyone seemed content!
Stu finally got the message that his car would have to be towed back home and then discovered that the closing sign of 6.00 pm on the Garage was out of date!!and so we had to rush him , Dave and their Gear back to Stafford.

I returned by about 5.20, Les and Peter, both with long journeys leaving and the day slowly coming to a close!
Ray had kindly given me a surplus Trolley earlier, and so I thought that I would give it an hours uninterrupted effort, to try and catch that elusive (to me) Carp, as the Trolley would allow me to pack up quicker!
I had been using the SAME piece of Bacon Grill luncheon meat on the hook All day!
A size 12 hook, simply pulled through the meat with a baiting needle had withstood over 12 casts.
As Les had left the peg next to me and I had no Angler to my right now, I cast another hopeful feeder out towards the Island and picked up the waggler rod again

Now everyone was going, Geoff and Dai, Waxi , Ray, all came to say goodbye and left,
Wendy was packing up and I started to think it time to go!
So of course! The rod buzzer sounded, the drop off finally dropped off and the 10 hour old bait finally tempted this little fellow.

So there's my carp , I finally got 1 and thanks for the photo Wendy!

Nick Polepot arrived to say farewell and we arranged to set up a fish-in 1/2 way between us, as Bedford to Chesterfield has enormous potential! Shades of Adams Mill and the Great Ouse as well!
Finally, with Paul driving round moaning at me to pack up, like some frustrated Long Range Desert Group Commando on his little 4 wheel drive buggy, I staggered back to the Car Park, loaded and left in the dark (Gone 7!!) Sought out Troggy, (Incidentally, I forgot to bring you your lighter Alan!) and finally set off for home.

What a different journey from this morning!

Dark, flashing headlights! glare,tiring and I was really pleased to see my driveway at about 9.30 pm.

As I pulled in, lights sprung on in my rear window!

I had been followed in by 2 friends, with whom we normally go for a drink on sunday night.
I went to their car and they had realised I had only just arrived.
My wife , dressed up! gave me a quick kiss as she got in their car and to my relief everyone went off, leaving me content to have supper, a quiet drink and reflect on an eventful and happy day!
After all, when youv'e been Maggot-drowning, caught that carp!, enjoyed your Companionship and outlived the "Curse", Who wants to spend an evening with Non- Fisher Folk!!!

Zippy

Footnote.
I Haven't mentioned the 'Team Photo' as it has been covered, but I was pleased and Gratified to receive the M/Ds Trophy! and also Geoffs kind present of the plaque that he thought appropriate.
So here for everyone are pictures of these and THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH

Cheers
Trev

Ziptrev ape.gif I do NOT BELIEVE it

Edited by - Ziptrev on 18 April 2002 03:07:54 AM

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Short & Sweet,as usual Trev!!!!!!!
Long may they continue

Peter. thumbsup.gif
Happiness is a rod in your hand.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Trev,

It is always a pleasure to read your brief, concise reports detailing your daily escapades.
Firstly I apologise for leaving with your 5. Send me your address and it will be in the post.

You sir, are a star, I think you made everyones day at Stafford enjoyable, along with Wendy playing skimmers with her telephone. It was a real pleasure to meet you again, and I am really looking forward to Elvington.

One problem, I didn't think I had caught the cuurse but today I lost 3 fair size carp and one nice tench due to the hooks straightening. I could blame you but I won't. Never buy Mustard Match carp barbless hooks to nylon size 18 0.12 diameter (3.8lb BS) They are rubbish.

Take care mate and see you soon.

thumbsup.gif Geoff
RSSG member - are you?

Status
Not open for further replies.