I've got the gurgles...,

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Actually it's not me, it's the radiators. Here's the story:
The floorboards on the landing have been creaking and banging so nice chippie came in and re-fixed them down. Luvverly!
Unfortunately he managed to put a screw through a pipe - not in fairness his fault due to the stupidity of the pipe runs. So, I drained the system down, removed the section of pipe and replaced it. All good now. Refilled the system and bled the heateraters - I thought. All the bleed points have been opened in turn until water was running out. BUT, several - despite more bleeding attempts - are still gurgling.
HELP!

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Thankyou both. But.
The system is running a d I don't know what the pressure is as there's no gauge. The system did take a fair amount of time to fill though. Ten radiators.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I take it you've got an old gravity fed system with a header tank in the loft?

If so make sure the header tank has filled up and you are not dragging air in as you fill the system.
Likewise make sure the heating is off as you can drag air in through the bleed nipples if running it at the same time.

After that, get a jug and bleed the radiators again, filling the jug each time, as you might have an airlock

RedhillPhil

Site Supporter
Yep, it's a gravity fed system. The header tank is full and the water supply is working (tested by pushing the ball valve down). Bit puzzled about the "Likewise make sure the heating is off......" as Rudd above has suggested that the heating should be on.
Ooo-er.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If the system is pressurised, ie fed from a Combi Boiler, you can get away with bleeding it whilst it is running. Not advisable really as if the pressure drops whilst your bleeding it to below the working level then the boiler will cut out.

A gravity fed system can pull air into the bleed valve if it is pumping round as there is no real pressure in it, other than gravity acting on the water in the header tank to the radiator you are bleeding.