It's that time of year again...(help needed)

Total

Site Supporter
I prefer 'careful' 😁 l just coughed up £280 for a Nintendo Switch for her birthday on the 16th Dec, God only knows why she wants a games console but money well spent😍
^^:ROFLMAO:....."Careful" is what couples were when courting Mick!:love:.....Mrs G' has got you a multipack of Nintendo marketed woollen socks for you at Christmas mate....;):giggle::ROFLMAO:

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
It's that time of year again when I start getting the dreaded question - what do you want for Xmas?

Usually I struggle. I can come up with one or two things, but that's not enough given there are other family members looking for ideas.

So far the list looks like this:

New mats for the car
New fishing rucksack

Err, that's it.

It's not like I spend a lot of money on myself normally, but I cant think of anything I actually need.

So, any ideas folks? If not I'll just end up with a dozen polo shirts again and another set of pyjamas to add to the dozen sets I have already.
I am getting a tarpaulin (aquaquest defender 4x3 meter in camo) some para cord and some boa connectors.
It took quite some explaining to Mrs Rudd as to why I want this, its usage and its cost cause for a tarpaulin its not cheap.

Foul hooked

Site Supporter
I am getting a tarpaulin (aquaquest defender 4x3 meter in camo) some para cord and some boa connectors.
It took quite some explaining to Mrs Rudd as to why I want this, its usage and its cost cause for a tarpaulin its not cheap.

Blimey, that's almost as big as my house! not sure it would be much use on the local canal. Does look pretty good though keep all your kit dry as well as yourself.

Reuben

Site Supporter

I do like a tarp!! I use one as an awning for outside the camper van in warmer weather. A waterproof army surplus one - couple of telescopic awning poles then guyed over the back of the van & the job’s a good un. Shade from the sun & keeps the rain off. I’ve a couple more for use with the hammock when wild camping. Very useful things your tarp.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter

That's a lot of money to only get one use out of it.

I can see it now, you set it up, walk away and cant find it again.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
I do like a tarp!! I use one as an awning for outside the camper van in warmer weather. A waterproof army surplus one - couple of telescopic awning poles then guyed over the back of the van & the job’s a good un. Shade from the sun & keeps the rain off. I’ve a couple more for use with the hammock when wild camping. Very useful things your tarp.
Both Daughters away at uni next year so Myself, Mrs R and the pup are going to do a bit of UK exploration at weekends.
Car camping with a 2 man tent. Tarp will be used as car awning.
We also like beaches and need shade for the dog and whilst in Cornwall rain protection in the summer!
Fishing wise, I night fish using a 20 year old JRC Stealth brolley system.
Been reproofed a few times so waterproof but single skin and space inside can be tight.
Looked at brolley overwraps and done a load of research - pointless as do not add space, and give little extra warmth in spring / Autumn. There is no gap like a pram type bivvy has to trap air.
Dont want to splash out on a new bivvy as tbh they are pricey and it would get little use.
Thought about making my own brolley extension and remember using 58 ponchos as decent shelters in my youth either as singles or tabbing up to six together so started thinking about tarps.
Looked at the fox tarps and they are expensive for what you get so reasearched proper tarps used for bushcraft.
Some research found the aqua quest ranges- not cheap but tick all boxes.
As being used out of car or off barrow weight not an issue so went for defender range.
Just need spring to arrive so I can start figuring out how I will rig the thing and get using it.
Already made some pole heads (out of two old landing net spreaders) to fit into a couple of nash stormpoles that will slot into Corner pockets! After watching a few tarps utube videos, a new hobby beckons!

Reuben

Site Supporter
DD Tarps are a good brand. I have one of their 3m x 3m ones for the hammock & it’s about 6yrs old. I just reproof it every year with Fabsil Gold. I like rigging my own shelter. I’m fortunate to have served in the Army with a proper Marquis - didn’t know at the time - & he inherited the family pile up north about 2hrs from me. I go up there on my own most years for 5 or 6 days off grid on his estate. I have to text the Head Gamekeeper every night with my grid ref so he doesn’t think it’s poachers! Great fun, eating what I can catch & keeping the old skill set from getting too rusty.

rudd

Serial Blanker
Site Supporter
DD Tarps are a good brand. I have one of their 3m x 3m ones for the hammock & it’s about 6yrs old. I just reproof it every year with Fabsil Gold. I like rigging my own shelter. I’m fortunate to have served in the Army with a proper Marquis - didn’t know at the time - & he inherited the family pile up north about 2hrs from me. I go up there on my own most years for 5 or 6 days off grid on his estate. I have to text the Head Gamekeeper every night with my grid ref so he doesn’t think it’s poachers! Great fun, eating what I can catch & keeping the old skill set from getting too rusty.
Used to love rough camping / bivvying up.
Biggest problem in most of England, finding areas to do it.