It's pellets stupid?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Thought I'd try an aniseed based particle on the commercial I'm fishing. Thought it would take it apart, but nothing much to shout about in all honesty. I guess the fish see so many pellets,and little else, that they do not recognise strange baits. Yes, the bream loved it but for the carp 'it's pellets stupid?' They did like the hemp but not the other stuff.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thought I'd try an aniseed based particle on the commercial I'm fishing. Thought it would take it apart, but nothing much to shout about in all honesty. I guess the fish see so many pellets,and little else, that they do not recognise strange baits. Yes, the bream loved it but for the carp 'it's pellets stupid?' They did like the hemp but not the other stuff.
If you don’t try you’ll never know. Who was the first to put luncheon meat on the hook ? Or sweet corn ? ??

SeanB

Site Supporter
Always worth a try mate, next time you might discover a new wonder bait ?

Me and my lad

Site Supporter
It is those little tweaks that can put us one step ahead. In the 70s/early 80s I recall my uncle using angel delight in his groundbait, seem to recall it was banana flavour for bream fishing. He caught a few with it. This was well before I had started fishing or the onset of the vast array of flavourings. Keep experimenting sir!

Louis D

Site Supporter
Confidence is a big deal and if aniseed does it for you then go for it.

The thing is that it is difficult to do the control experiment. If you are catching on maggot within 30 seconds of casting in and repeatedly have to wait 10 minutes with a 4 mm dynamite baits red krill expander then that tells you something. Or if the size of fish is radically different. The problem is those days are few and far between. If you get 2 fish quickly then try a different bait once for nothing then switch back, catch one more then nothing else - is that a valid test, I think not?

If most people fished white maggot then you will still catch on pellet but, everything else being equal, white maggot will demonstrate better results because more people fish them. If Jamie Hughes wins 2 matches on 5.2 mm spotted fin special reserve pickled onion flavoured pellets, does that mean they are better. No, it just means they did no harm to his catch rate because he would likely have won anyway on a standard pellet. If i was first to use them and started winning everything then that is a different story.

In the past, have caught on bare hook, plummet, empty band, pineapple jam sandwich, blackcurrant jam sandwich, defrosted frozen mixed veg (corn, peas, carrot, peppers, green beans) and flower petal. I dare say others have had much more esoteric success. I still tend to just use ordinary coppens or skrettings pellets with a couple of packs of flavoured hookers however these rarely get used unless I'm up against it because you never know....

lliopp

Site Supporter
I have to say, if not in a match and catching well I tend to see how can I mess it up. Mainly to do with feeding, but hook baits as well. Feed or not, big bait, little bait, such a conundrum. But I feel that to gain experience you have to explore different approaches, so if I start catching well I will experiment.
I feel you can learn more by altering your approach while your catching, than when you’re not. It can be just basic change, maggots or caster. On the bottom, up in the water.
I actually left the last team I fished for as practice was not about experimenting, just catching.
It’s probably the thing I like most about fishing, so many variables it makes chess look simple.

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Aniseed can work wonders for Bream, as can Nutmeg or Cinnamon.