It's Friday - Where are you Fishing this weekend ?

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
Depressing isn’t it similar situation here we’ve probably got about another 3-4 weekends before the silvers fishing is off the table here as well.

I believe the trent is much like my local Thames in that as soon as the frosts hit that’s the end of the silvers fishing, well unless you count more sizeable chub and bream as silvers.
When I lived in Swindon many years ago you could catch plenty of roach, dace and chub above the bridge at Lechlade all through the winter when conditions were right. Down steam of the bridge and most of the other stretches we fished in the summer and autumn on the upper Thames seemed devoid of fish once we'd had the first frosts.

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
Depressing isn’t it similar situation here we’ve probably got about another 3-4 weekends before the silvers fishing is off the table here as well.

I believe the trent is much like my local Thames in that as soon as the frosts hit that’s the end of the silvers fishing, well unless you count more sizeable chub and bream as silvers.
My hypothesis on this is that the roach and dace migrate to other stretches ... as seen in Hereford, Shrewsbury, Spalding and March. There are so few matches on some rivers nowadays that it is hard to relocate those winter shoals ... particularly given the sporadic nature of winter feeding. The pattern on the Trent has changed markedly since the power stations shut down.

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter

Has anyone worked out why? They can't disdappear.

Stewie74

Site Supporter
Match on Sunday at another new venue for me, Phoenix lake at FloatFish Farm near Peterborough.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Unfortunately for me most of this weekend is taken up with an MOT test Saturday morning on my truck, flu jab, shopping with the missus and a visit to my mother on Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning babysitting the grandkids, but Sunday afternoon is free as it stands according to my social secretary :D

Are you off fishing this weekend and if so where abouts?

Get yourself on the Wharfe Dave. There must be a Barbel in there somewhere with your name on it. Go onto your lawn tonight and scrat a dozen lobbies together. Stick a couple on a size 8 and hold on. You’ll get one. Saying that …. That’s how I caught my first and only Wharfe Jack pike. 🙄. Forget that then. Big piece of truncheon into the middle and hope. 👍

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Down steam of the bridge and most of the other stretches we fished in the summer and autumn on the upper Thames seemed devoid of fish once we'd had the first frosts.
My hypothesis on this is that the roach and dace migrate to other stretches ... as seen in Hereford, Shrewsbury, Spalding and March. There are so few matches on some rivers nowadays that it is hard to relocate those winter shoals ... particularly given the sporadic nature of winter feeding. The pattern on the Trent has changed markedly since the power stations shut down.
Has anyone worked out why? They can't disdappear.
It has to be a migration thing as well as just general reduction in feeding but they must become incredibly localised as you just don’t here of any roach or dace catches pleasure or match wise once the frosts and floods hit. Marinas, side channels, deep pockets maybe, or just no fishing areas! Goes from everything being roach dominated in summer and autumn to them being virtually non existent in winter so people tend to switch to targeting chub when it’s cold and bream when it’s a bit more mild.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Yorkshire dales on my local natural venue, doing some feeder flinging, first time out in a fortnight, since coming back from Ireland and tamar 👍👍👍

tincatim

Site Supporter
No fishing for me this weekend, but I am hopeful for next weekend. Good luck to all of you that do make it out.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Other things to do this weekend but all being well I should be able to fit an afternoon session in midweek

Arch

Site Supporter
My missus has had an Iron infusion today for her low red blood cell count. It usually knocks her about for a few days, so no fishing for me until she's right.

However, I did have 72hrs here from Monday.
IMG_3329 (Edited).JPG

IMG_3330 (Edited).JPG

Doing this.
IMG_3332.JPG

Needless to say, the best bite of the trip was this.

IMG_3334.JPG

CJROSCOW

Clint
Site Supporter
Local stretch of the wyre for chubb sunday afternoon. Not had much rain this week, could do with some. Running low again after the rains of a few weeks ago where the fish fed hard

Capt Birdseye

Site Supporter
Lakeside Caravan Park, North Somercotes Lincs. Local to me but members and bona-fide guests only. I find myself bona-fide tomorrow. Targeting Bream in 12ft of water, just finished my prep, weather set fair and really looking forward to the days fishing

The Hitman

Site Supporter
Club match on Sunday at Stafford Moor. First time I will have fished it. Any feedback would be nice.