"It's dead shallow where yam"

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Going to fish a gin clear natural estate lake tomorrow. Fished it once last year on a peg had 13 decent Tench. I didn't think it was that shallow there but not deep considering it was on the dam wall, about 4' deep but a very shallow bay towards the right where you can see the bottom all the way across. Was fishing it again earlier this year, blanked, it was much colder than it's been the last few days.

Bailiff came round and said...

"It's dead shallow where yam, it's deeper if you move down past the second bin".

We did move along the dam wall, and probably had about 6' or 7'. Still didn't catch anything, put it down to being too cold.

I'm going to fish it again tomorrow, weather seems spot on at the moment, warm and muggy, expect the Carp to be spawning.

Question is would you fish the shallow peg as I plan to or go for the deeper water? All female Tench last year so I presume they'd shoaled up in the shallow water for some kind of spawning ritual. Hoping they will be there again tomorrow.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
It's in what my mate calls "Lovely Dudley" where I'm going to fish. Takes me a while to get used to the accent even myself but the people are very friendly.

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
It's in what my mate calls "Lovely Dudley" where I'm going to fish. Takes me a while to get used to the accent even myself but the people are very friendly.

My missus' parents both hail from Dudley, been this way 30 odd years though so accent is bearable :LOL:

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’d fish the shallow swim - solely because I’ve been having success on an estate lake lately in swims 3’-4’ deep

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Got talking to a Brummie fishing a canal in the city centre
Me: "Caught anything?"
Brummie: "Arr, a whale"
Me: " A whale!!!"
Brummie: "Arr, a boicycle whale"
Must've been the same bloke I got talking to, he said "Me mates fell in the cut"
Looking around, couldn't see him.
I said "where"
Bloke said "Down there look, me mate off me sandwich"

Deejay8

Site Supporter
Q. How can you tell the Queen is up for a good time with the boys?
A. Because it says E.R on her knickers.

A joke that only works in the West Midlands.

As to the fishing question, I've caught plenty of tench in water only 3 feet deep, although the water was coloured and there was plenty of weed and lillies. If it's clear you may be able to spot fish in the shallow water.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Shallow for me Zerkalo mate. I don’t know the water but, two or three swims if it’s that clear. Simply rotate. What bait ya taking pal ? All the usual ? ... worms, casters and sweet corn ? 👍

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Shallow for me Zerkalo mate. I don’t know the water but, two or three swims if it’s that clear. Simply rotate. What bait ya taking pal ? All the usual ? ... worms, casters and sweet corn ? 👍
Same as what worked for me the first time round. I'd read in the Angling Times 'Where to fish' pages it was a good Roach water with 30lb of Roach possible on maggot feeder Helicopter Rig. Caught on that with maggots and hemp in the feeder... nearly all Tench which was a nice surprise! :LOL: Been speaking to my dad about it and he agrees I should fish the shallow peg I caught first time round in as it's around the same time of year so here's hoping the will be there again!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Same as what worked for me the first time round. I'd read in the Angling Times 'Where to fish' pages it was a good Roach water with 30lb of Roach possible on maggot feeder Helicopter Rig. Caught on that with maggots and hemp in the feeder... nearly all Tench which was a nice surprise! :LOL: Been speaking to my dad about it and he agrees I should fish the shallow peg I caught first time round in as it's around the same time of year so here's hoping the will be there again!
Have a good day pal. Let’s see some red eyes. No, not yours this time. 🤣🤣👍