It's a Hospital Car Park For Crying Out Loud - Literally

Robwooly

Ok I'm back taking dad to the hospital and I managed to squeeze my tiny car into a tiny space (whoever designed this hospital didn't have cars in mind) in the underground car park, I was proud to have put it on a sixpence 1cm away from a pillar so dad could get out his side, sadly I've had too much practise in regards parking here.

On return to the car someone has parked even closer dad's side so I go round and dad is just able to get in with a bit of help from me, meanwhile there's a bit of a queue at the one working exit barrier so no rush, plus a bit of tooting going on which I thought was nothing until.....

An old lady comes up to me in tears totally flustered as someone had blasted the horn as she was taking too long to park, she was begging me to park her car for her. I didn't hesitate (I have parked two other cars here for elderly people, I must look trustworthy in the dark) It wasn't easy as the space was small, her car was like the starship enterprise and had a high clutch, worse still she must have been less than 5ft tall so I was wedged in there all cramped as I didn't want to mess her seat position up. It took me around 30 secs but I weren't going to prang it - funny how no one tooted me though eh?

All parked up and the old lady is still in tears, I tried to calm her a bit but it would seem I'm better at parking than consoling and her English wasn't too good, all I could do was make sure she did her window up and remembered her handbag, I didn't get a thank you but I think she was proper shaken, the only thought I had was that could have been my mum had she not died at this hospital a couple of years ago, mind you she couldn't drive so I digress but this lady probably wasn't going to a hospital for the fun of it.

I squeezed back into the car as dad was wondering where the hell I was then got to thinking about the old lady, It's pretty dark in there so maybe they didn't know her age and I know the people round that way drive terribly but it's someone parking a hospital car park. I'm not sure what my point or question is, just want to get it off my chest, I'll toot drivers who are dithering (usually on the phone) when lights change but should people be more patient?

It is a hospital car park for crying out loud.

satinet

Site Supporter
I wouldn't park someone else's car.
Quite likely you're not insured even 3rd party any more on a lot of policies.

Basically leaving yourself liable in a big way.

Not that you did the wrong thing morally I just think you have to be realistic about the world we live in.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
I think a lot of it is that people are already wound up at the parking charges and are just looking for any excuse to have a pop.

satinet

Site Supporter
I think a lot of it is that people are already wound up at the parking charges and are just looking for any excuse to have a pop.
The car parks also have tight spaces. The elderly really struggle to get out of their cars.

If you ever sit and wait in your car in a hospital car park you see it all the time.

I guess you're supposed to take the bus. When you're old and ill.

John Step

Site Supporter
A couple of years ago before she died I had to pick my mother up from a stay at that big hospital in Romford. I had her disabled folder on the dashboard and I was in the process of actually getting the wheelchair from the boot and assembling it at the back of the car for all the world to see.

A bloke in a very big expensive car started berating me about parking in a disabled bay. WTF he thought the wheelchair was for I can only guess.

He go very verbally abused in return.

Total

Site Supporter
A couple of years ago before she died I had to pick my mother up from a stay at that big hospital in Romford. I had her disabled folder on the dashboard and I was in the process of actually getting the wheelchair from the boot and assembling it at the back of the car for all the world to see.

A bloke in a very big expensive car started berating me about parking in a disabled bay. WTF he thought the wheelchair was for I can only guess.

I always smile and then ignore them!.....Totally baffles 'em!:giggle::ROFLMAO:

Robwooly

Well, I reckon you did the right thing pal. Insured or not. That’s what a lot of us would have done I’m sure. Well done you. 👍
Thanks dude, to be honest I'd do the same thing next time, fear of litigation or not, there's no way I'm not going to help out someone elderly in tears, that could be me one day, that's If I can afford to drive when I'm older and wiser :)

MrBen

Site Supporter

You’re not alone with this, had it a couple of times, I offered to beat them about so much they would need the chair.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Thanks dude, to be honest I'd do the same thing next time, fear of litigation or not, there's no way I'm not going to help out someone elderly in tears, that could be me one day, that's If I can afford to drive when I'm older and wiser :)

You’ve a big heart Rob. And if she didn’t, I will ……. Thank you. 👍

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Hark at her!:love:....Don't take it out on me just 'cos Nicky told you off for lassoing the maggot instead of hooking it!:oops:😘

You calling me a cowboy ? I’ll have you know I’ve not finished any jobs off once I’ve been paid. 😳🤣🤣