It works lad I can tell thee.

Line Clip

Visited a lake in the summer for the first time, picked a peg and started to set up, three pegs away was an elderly angler on a wicker basket, swinging pendulum style underarm a huge method feeder the size of a coconut, and achieving a distance of about 20ft from the bank, this went in like a brick and sent ripples all over the lake.
Ten minuets later there was a lot of commotion and the gent was netting a carp about 3lbs.
Out went the coconut again but this time I noticed following it, was a massive float like an old pike bung .
So after blanking on the pole for a hour and still hearing and seeing carp being landed by the old gent, I thought it was time to have a chat (safe distance covid etc)
The huge coconut feeder had a mussel on a 10 hook berried in the middle , then the pike bung type float was set 6ft above that his rod would have landed a whale being at least a quarter of an inch on the end, and no bend put into it at all by a 3 lbs carp .
I asked him why did he use a float, the reply was ,so I know when a fish is on lad IT WORKS LAD I CAN TELL THEE.
Back at my peg I looked at my carbon slim rod with 1oz tip 15gram feeder 16 hook, 6mm waffter and thought am I under gunned.?

nejohn

Site Supporter
There is an old guy at my local club lakes that uses similar Tactics, big feeder lobbed not far from the bank with a whole mussel as bait, he also catches a few decent fish.....I think he has progressed from the guy in the OP though as he sits on a shaky box

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
Sounds like how my dad would fish if left to his own devices ??