It hits home....

rudd

Site Supporter
Rang my daughter news years day to check if ok - she was.
Next thought, a colleague lives near there, hope its not her.

Just signed her get well card that is now being taken to hospital - no alleged about this being a stabbing.

It hits home when you know tbe victims. ?

brian carragher

Site Supporter
Hope she recovers with no ill effects, what the f*ck is it with knives at the moment?, I really can't remember a time in my memory where knife crime seems to so prevalant

Time to really up the tariffs for knife related crime, if that involves more jails being built, then so be it

Wise Owl

Account Locked
I just took our Gert to the Dr's and was waiting outside and a few lads went past one flashing a blade as if it was a medal of honour.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Knife crime has always been there in the background but is becoming more prevalent and reported.
Something needs doing as the existing deterrents clearly aren't working.
What next, escalating to guns?

Hopefully she'll recover, I wish them both well

rudd

Site Supporter
Thanks all, will pop in to see her today after my final blast of radiotherapy.

Philocalist

Knife crime has always been there in the background but is becoming more prevalent and reported.
Something needs doing as the existing deterrents clearly aren't working.
What next, escalating to guns?

Hopefully she'll recover, I wish them both well
I could be wrong Dave, but I believe the escalation in knife crime came about as a direct consequence of the penalties for possession of a firearm being made more severe. It's always been easy enough to buy illegal guns if you run with that sort of low-life, and a gun was always seen as a 'badge' amongst a certain demographic, even if it was never used - the threat was implicit if nothing else. Suddenly, the penalties for simple possession of an illegal firearm were made much steeper, to the degree they became a deterrent to carrying one around 'for show' - and knives took over.
Personally, I'd like to see the penalties for possession of illegal knives ramped up to include mandatory imprisonment as a starting point - might make a few of the yobs think twice, at the very least, when a few of them vanish inside.