IT Help required - New Desk top and transfer of programmes

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I was fortunate until about 1 year ago, that my friend, who was a director of an IT educational company, used to help and ensure that my computer was running OK, Alas he has gone to the grand fishing river in the sky. This included putting many "gift" programmes onto my machine, which I find invaluable. Photoshop, full Microsoft office, etc ,

However, my desk top machine is now 13 years old and I am looking at going over to a SSD hard drive etc., etc.

Question - is it possible to transfer all my programmes over by cable therefore saving me the chore of buying mew and having to forgo my potential purchase of several microlite rods. Can anyone recommend a suitable brand of desk top tower etc. . I do NOT want a lap top, I am fixed in my ways with a keyboard.

Chervil

Site Supporter
I was fortunate until about 1 year ago, that my friend, who was a director of an IT educational company, used to help and ensure that my computer was running OK, Alas he has gone to the grand fishing river in the sky. This included putting many "gift" programmes onto my machine, which I find invaluable. Photoshop, full Microsoft office, etc ,

However, my desk top machine is now 13 years old and I am looking at going over to a SSD hard drive etc., etc.

Question - is it possible to transfer all my programmes over by cable therefore saving me the chore of buying mew and having to forgo my potential purchase of several microlite rods. Can anyone recommend a suitable brand of desk top tower etc. . I do NOT want a lap top, I am fixed in my ways with a keyboard.
If it's an IT question @Dave Spence is your man (he will get in touch with @Dave for you)

I will be interested in the answers you get, I'm looking at getting a new PC over the summer and whilst I will just put all my files onto an external hard drive and copy them across, to move my games, seems a little more complicated and I can see it all going t*ts up.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The easiest way is to take the existing drive and put it into your new PC. It can then be used as a secondary storage drive and from it you should be able to access your old programs which should work as long as they are compatible with the new operating system.

You will also have full access to your existing files without having to mess about copying them over one by one

Sorry can't help you with recommendations for a new tower though as I built my own ;)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If it's an IT question @Dave Spence is your man (he will get in touch with @Dave for you)

I will be interested in the answers you get, I'm looking at getting a new PC over the summer and whilst I will just put all my files onto an external hard drive and copy them across, to move my games, seems a little more complicated and I can see it all going t*ts up.

It's okay, I jumped in first saving @Dave Spence the cost of a Stamp tagging me in ;)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
When my old tower started to slow down I bought an SSD drive and used my old 2tb hard drive as a data drive... I kept all my programs on the data drive and used the SSD as the boot with windows alone on it

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I had a similar problem. Got a hard drive with Windows 10 , but some of my stuff wouldn't work on it. (camera, camcorder etc.) So back in went the Windows7 drive and I used a prog called DriveClone to clone all across to a new 1 TB drive, including boot sector. In went the new drive, booted first time and everything up and working including the gadgets that wouldn't work in Win10.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are you still running Windows 7 then Pete?

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit , being run with AMD Phenom 8600b Triple core processors, have 2 externals drive, used to keep files. One I backup to all the time (F) and the other about every month - if I remember.n I once lost my main computer drive (in 2016) which took me £500 to recover all the data.

My C main drive on my computer is just used basically to house the programs

Thats as much as I know. Don't know how to transfer - programs - anyone recommend any sites please.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I've got what looks like a mini tv with a typewriter on it. I switch it on click on Maggie and I'm happy. What more do you need?:giggle:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I'm on Windows 7 Enterprise 32 bit , being run with AMD Phenom 8600b Triple core processors, have 2 externals drive, used to keep files. One I backup to all the time (F) and the other about every month - if I remember.n I once lost my main computer drive (in 2016) which took me £500 to recover all the data.

My C main drive on my computer is just used basically to house the programs

Thats as much as I know. Don't know how to transfer - programs - anyone recommend any sites please.

You don't need to transfer the programs, just put your existing drive into the new PC and run the programs from it.