It’s a drought, stupid! We need hosepipe bans NOW

Cuprajake

As above we can't cope, the only good thing this country does is being useless

2" of snow we stop, it rains we flood, it's sunny we have a drought.

It's not like it's a surprise when this stuff happens.

A bit of for planning, if you have a flood plains, if we could channel and store that water?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The problem gets worse year after year, because the population gets bigger year after year, and they eat more food, so farmers need more water to grom more food. If we import the extra it still means that farmers abroad use more water. The bigger the world population gets the worse things will be, and the world population is growing, so obviously things will get worse.

One way that the UK will be affected is that eventually the people who currently waste food will eventually be unable to do so because they won't be able to afford slinging edible stuff away day after day. Food is far too cheap in this country anyway - have any of you tried to grow a cauliflower? If you have you will understand why it should be regarded as a luxury...:) The general public take the presence of food on shops shelves for granted. Hopefully that wil;l change over the next year or two. The solution to our problems lies in the hands of the public - not the Government.

A bit of for planning, if you have a flood plains, if we could channel and store that water?
Like we store water in rivers and reservoirs?

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
If we ("the public") keep concreting and tarmacking over our gardens and driveways etc rainwater has no chance of leaching through the soil naturally and eventually into our rivers. There is absolutely NO reason why the UK should suffer from drought conditions. Being in the northern hemisphere we get more than sufficient precipitation to support the increasing population and crop production. It's the foolish behaviour of the people led by successive foolish governments that are causing the problem. Build more homes for the increasing population, install more drainage pipes down to the culverts and rivers to dispense excess water quickly is quite brainless in reality. Population has increased by 11% since 1976. Water consumption has increased by 117% since 1976, Water storage facilities have increased by 20% since 1976. Not rocket science to work things out is it?

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
The insistence on getting water out of rivers and down to the sea so that they don't flood homes built on flood plains has come back to haunt us. The Thames Water Barrier is an example. One side-effect is that river banks dry out and crack. So much for the intelligence of the Whitehall civil servants and government advisers who recommended it (and of the Ministers who agreed to it).

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Like I say though - where is this data that hosepipes are a significant drain on the water supply? I stand to be corrected but it seems like a supposition without a lot to back it up.

Household usage is supposed to be 120l per person per day. I bet most people use more though.

It's 5l every time you flush the bog.
If it's yellow let it mellow.
If it's brown flush it down.

My toilet water saving philosophy.