Is this just a goldfish?

spc123

Forgive my ignorance

was enjoying pulling small perch out of a pool near Liverpool when along came this

please could someone tell me what it is as feel a bit daft calling it a goldfish

thanks very much

Attachments

• EB88B7C4-A2BB-4F97-B6EE-CC2BC3CFE975.jpeg
    EB88B7C4-A2BB-4F97-B6EE-CC2BC3CFE975.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 31,763

Silver fan 82

Forgive my ignorance

was enjoying pulling small perch out of a pool near Liverpool when along came this

please could someone tell me what it is as feel a bit daft calling it a goldfish

thanks very much
Looks like a golden orfe to me. Nice fish!

Deejay8

Site Supporter
The simple way to tell a goldfish from an orfe is the dorsal fin. If it has a small dorsal fin, like a roach or rudd, it's an orfe, and if it's got a long dorsal fin like a carp, it's a goldfish or koi. Orfe are actually an ornamental strain of Ide.

spc123

Excellent. Thanks very much to all of you

golden orfe sounds much better than goldfish

was out of the blue. Was having endless small perch using maggots and a margin pole then along came this.

thanks again much appreciated

Sad Teacher

Caught this the other day... I think it is a golden orfe??? They released 12 into lake a few weeks ago. PXL_20210420_100024918_2.jpg

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
There's a Golden Orfe that swims in the small river near me, although it is a Golden Orfe it's still colloquially known as 'The Goldfish'. Case in point, a group of lads go down through my peg in an inflatable and point out "Big fish down there mate, big Goldfish!" 😁

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Forgive my ignorance

thanks very much

It's a Golden Orfe.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
FD0CkBT.jpg
A bigger Golden Orfe... taken whilst after an errant trout that had me waist deep in water after a step too far... I popped back the following week with worms and a beefier rod (a Sealey Floatcaster DeLuxe and Ariel style reel) and hooked this lovely fish.. there are quite a few varieties of Orfe but the Golden is a beauty

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
FD0CkBT.jpg
A bigger Golden Orfe... taken whilst after an errant trout that had me waist deep in water after a step too far... I popped back the following week with worms and a beefier rod (a Sealey Floatcaster DeLuxe and Ariel style reel) and hooked this lovely fish.. there are quite a few varieties of Orfe but the Golden is a beauty
Have to agree mate, but I do have a liking for the Blue Orfe too.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Would this water be Mellors Pool aka Little lake in Whiston ?
Somebody recently dumped the contents of a large garden pond in there including possibly a grass carp amongst a range of ornamental fish.