Is this an ok Ledger rig - Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

perchlover

As a newbie to Ledger fishing, I thought I would ask a question about a rig I am thinking of using.

I am going to use a lead weight held in place by one large split shot and buffered by a rubber bead. I will tie this to a swivel and then tie a hook length to the other end of the swivel. Does this sound ok, or any other tips? I also plan to use a bobbin.

I have the whole of next week off work and plan on doing nothing else but fishing, so I might add a new rod and reel. Anyone got any ideas on a cheap ledger rod and reel, something between 30-50 quid?

Cheers

kevb

was 'bigkevb'
alot of fisheries wont allow fixed lead , just remove the shot above the weight and you should be ok [:T][:T]

perchlover

Ok mate. But it won't be fixed on the bit that runs between the ledger and the rod. Is that ok???

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
DONT use a split shot on your line for a running ledger rig..

this will simply produce a huge weak spot in the line and you will get bust...

in this order:

lead onto line / bead onto line / swivel / hook link

perfectly save and SIMPLE.

OR use these, then you wont need a bead

korum_quick_change_beads_small.jpg

KNC48.jpg

Last edited:

perchlover

Common thanks mate. A quick question - Will teh ebad stay in place and keep the ledger from moving down to the hook? And what are those things in the picture called?

Also, what are tips for casting, sinking line etc etc if I am using a bobbin???

Cheers all and sorry for all the questions, I just wanna get it right!

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
ill try and do it in picture format from what you put on your line FIRST.....

LEAD:
cft-lead-distance.jpg

SHOCKER BEAD: (bead will fit tight over swivel eye)
RubberShockaBeads.gif

SWIVEL:
sze%208%20swivel.jpg

KWIK LINK (clip on the swivel above)
kwik-link.jpg

HOOK LINK (attach to the kwik link above)
Hooklink.jpg

Last edited:

perchlover

Common you are a star! Also any ideas on line sinking, rod position for ledgering, bearing in mind I am going for Tench, Roach and Bream?

Last edited:

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
Hi perchlover, welcome to the mad world of MD's.
Instead of just using a bomb or ledger on your main line try using a quick release swivel, the type with a swivel at one end and a clip at the other, then you can change from a bomb to a feeder etc. with ease. As CC says try the Korum quick-change beads they make changing hook lengths a doddle. [:T]
p.s. Don't call yourself Newbie....we've enough trouble with one. [:W]

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
Originally posted by perchlover

Common you are a star! Also any ideas on line sinking, rod position for ledgering, bearing in mind I am going for Tench, Roach and Bream?

look at the picture format, simple..

ok, going for bream, tench, use light leads 1oz.

cast out, tighten up slowly until lines tight, then place bobbin on..

tench will give better indication than bream, with a bream the bobbin will just raise up and down slowly....

PS if you use the korum kwik change, you tie a loop into your hook link and DONT use a swivel. or it wont work [:T]

Last edited:

perchlover

Bloody hell. This is what you call excellent help. And hopefully after next week I won't be a newbie anymore, haha. Sorry to sound stupid but I take it it is the ledger on first, then tie the swivel on, where do I put the multi purpose clip and what is it for? Sorry I am slow today!

Last edited:

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
if you simply follow the pictures, top to bottom (top being the 1st item you put on, then work down) it should come together easy enough mate....

what i wanna no is, what hook link material are you using?????

perchlover

Thanks mate. That is a really great piece of advice. I am thinking of using a hook to nylon and was gonna tie it to the other end of the swivel.

Last edited:

perchlover

So, from what I can see, you tie teh swivel to the mainline after the ledger, put a kwik link on teh other end of the swivel and tie the hooklength to the hook with aswivel on the other end and just clip it on??? I owe you a beer. haha

Piker-Dave

aka Common_Carp
ok, hook to nylon, ignore the swivel, kwik link and bead....

stages are as follows:

lead
(korum kwik change, take it apart and thread the line through the dome section)
tie your main line onto the other part of the korum kwik change
tie a loop onto your hook link and attach the loop onto the korum then attach the 2 korum sections together (look at the picture)

KNC48.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.