is this a record!!!!!!!!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

n/a4

deleted
believe me this posting is nothing short of a miracle!!!!!!

I have tried for the past two nights to get onto the forum only to be frustrated by a VERY long wait

getting onto the home page presents no problem, select "forums," and this is where the story starts, to get to the next page often takes anything up to 2-3 minutes, logon is almost instant taking less than a minute, back to the forums can then take anything up to five minutes or so, NOW COMES THE RUB
select topic from forum list, say, The Club House now comes a wait and the longest I have waited over the past couple of days has been 48MINUTES!!!!!!!!!
do you guys have similar problems or is it my crappy ISP who by the way is NTL Broadband?
NTL say there is nothing wrong with their system so why the long wait?
help before I lose what is left of my hair.
steve

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,

It can sometimes take a while but not that long, thirty seconds maybe on a bad day.
I too am on Ntl Broadband and as you'll notice I am on here quite a bit icon_smile.gif and very rarely do I have problems with connection but that's not to say that your's is okay.
You say that you have no problems loading the homepage it is just when you try to view the forums? What browser are you using and have you altered any settings?

Dave

n/a4

deleted
Hi Dave!
thanks for coming back on this one, I'm grateful for any help.
Due to having three teens and a crazy game playing misses my time on this thing is somewhat limited (even to the point of reserving set times.
Our system to the best of my knowledge has not been changed since it was installed. we use the 128k modem, as for what my browser settings are, I'm sorry but I don't know, I belong to the creed that says "if it aint broke dont mess with it" so as long as everything works when its supposed to and I end up where I want to go I don't bother playing with settings and the such like.
I can load the thing with software from the start and if anything goes wrong I ask around to see who can fix it.
(to think ten years ago I was designing bloody great gas separaters for north sea gas and oil rigs)
How do you go about setting the browsers?
(in simple terms please)
by the way I've not been with you long but I think MD's is great!!!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi Steve,

Flattery will get you everywhere icon_smile_big.gif

Go to the Internet Explorer Icon on your desktop, right click it and select properties. In this choose the 'Advanced' tab and in this click the button 'Restore Defaults'. Close by clicking 'Apply' and then 'OK'. That should put you back to where you started.

If your missus is playing games alot you may need to clean out the 'Temporary Internet Files' again by right clicking the icon and selecting 'Properties'.
This could explain the time it is taking you to load if you cache is full already. You may be better off increasing the amount of space to use for the files by clicking 'Settings' next to where you click to delete you Temp Internet Files.

Try this first and see if it makes a difference,

Dave

n/a4

deleted

all hail dave!!!
seriously though it has improved the situation no end compared to what it was like it's now warp speed!!
many thanks to you for your help icon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gificon_smile_big.gif
regards steve

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No problem Steve,

All part of the service - now where's my invoice book icon_smile_big.gif lol

Seriously, welcome on board

Dave

n/a4

deleted
hi dave!
I tell you what mate it feels great to be part of something again.
By the way how do the stars work uder your name in the posting box?
steve

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The ranking works like so:

• Starting Member = 0 post
  • 1 post promotes you to 'New Member', 1 star
  • 10 posts promotes you to 'Member', 2 stars
  • 25 posts still a 'Member' but 3 stars
  • 50 posts a four star 'Member'
  • 100 posts and you become a 'Life Member'and 5 stars

based on the number of posts you make so therefore 2 more and you're a Member with 2 Stars icon_smile.gif

Just an aside, you may want to delete your Temporary Internet files on a regular basis depending on your useage.

Dave

(I'll have to get this 'r' key fixed as I keep missing my r's in posts icon_smile_big.gif)

Edited by - Dave on 12 July 2002 11:19:29 PM

n/a4

deleted
Hi Dave!
okeedokee!
while we're on the subject of NTL here in Northamptonshire with NTL's tv cable they have two channels on the de-coder box set aside for a company called Northants Television or N.T.V. as they're so fond of putting in the corner of the screen these days.
well to the point, three times a day they are repeating a programme called "Angling Weekly" I caught it by accident this week and its repeats of programmes they did about 18 months ago, its sent out on channels 6 & 40 on the box and they hve done programmes about Northamptons' fisheries and have included Drayton, Castle Ashby, Ringstead, Corby Boating Lake (don't laugh it sounds funny but it's a great venue)and various other day and club ticket waters.
its available to all NTL customers in Northamtonshire, don't know whether you'd get it outside or not, but NTV have just erected a terrestrial arial so the possibility of picking it in by close by countys is on the cards depending on the strength of the signal.
The production is a bit wooden an sounds amuterish but at least it's about fishing, and sometimes shows new places to go.
anyway its time for bed, my bear has just been thrust under my arm an I got my cocoa, us oldies need our sleep, so I'll see you again
rgds steve

martin.

Account Locked
hi pilgrim
corby boating lake used to be a brilliant fisherie is it still as good.
where abouts in northamtonshire are you id like to know more about the fishing in this area as its not to far from me

tight lines.
martin.
talk fishing flip football

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Pilgrim

Don't believe anything NTL say about it not being their fault mate.

I had the same problems & i know its not my system, its happened a few times now & when i've done a "ping" test its always the same thing my server is running slow.

Alan

Newt

'Lures Rule!!'
Gents - another thing I strongly recommend is a nice, polite, free program called spider which you can get from http://www.fsm.nl/ward/ .

It does several nice things but my favorite is that it allows removal of the database file that stores information about all the sites you have visited and other information.

Not only can someone track your useage but these database files get quite large and junked up (causing speed issues) and ARE NOT removed when you clean up your system. Spider marks them and they are deleted at next shutdown. Your Internet Explorer will automatically create new, small ones the next time you start it so nothing is lost.

Newt Vail

n/a4

deleted
Hi Martin!
Haven't fished Corby boating lake for a long tome now but I understand it's still as good as it was, it must be getting on for nearly twnty years as we used the lake when I was with The Express Lift A.C.
Due to not having my own transport for past 9/10 years my visits to the bank have been extremely rare. I've made up for it this last 18 months though as I can now borrow a car, its old but it goes and I can get all our kit in.
As to where I live well as the crow flies I am just over the hilll to the west of Sywell Reservoir about a mile or so away, so near yet so far. I hope to visit this season now that everything has settled with the fishing rights,
As regards other fishing well theres Castle Ashby thats on song at the moment, so's Canons Ashby (thats a firm fave with my lads).
We went to Paignton during Jubilee week and fished Town Parks fishry and New Barn Farm both of which I can well recommend, in fact if we go again at half term in Oct we will visit again both are full of lovely plump roach and the carp in there well its like watching a flotilla of subs.
there used to be a local mag called Northants angler but I think it's now folded due to lack of interest. It had a section devoted to day ticket waters, if you like i'll submit some most of them are still going so the info will still be relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.