Is this a bad idea?

g3kk0

I'm looking for a compact, lightweight rod for float fishing silvers at my local lake. From what I've read these are few and far between on a budget as most people seem to suggest getting an Acolyte which is a bit to expensive for me.

I like the idea of using a shorter 7-8ft rod (similar to an ultralight) but it seems most match rods are 10+ feet.

I've been looking at spinning rods (as they seem more compact) and was about to buy a Daiwa Prorex S 7ft 5-25g but wasn't sure how well this would work for float fishing (would it be to stiff?). I know the shorter the rod the less casting distance it will have but I don't plan on fishing far out.

If the above is a bad idea and it would be better to get a proper match rod then I was thinking either a Shakespeare Superteam Float 10ft or a Cadence CR10 11ft #1.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Reuben

Site Supporter
For the price of the Cadence rod you mention - £120, there’s a fairly big choice out there, mate, new or second hand. I don’t think cadence have the CR10 11ft float in stock anyway, or they didn’t when I last looked at their site.
I think spinning rods aren’t the best option for what you have in mind as they’re deceptively powerful. There’s already been a very similar thread about the same sort of rods in the last couple of days, check that out for suggestions.I haven’t handled either rod you mentioned so I’m not in a position to comment. We all tend to have our own favourites anyway.
PS - welcome to the forum.

John Step

Site Supporter
A 7 or 8 foot rod is totally inadequate, sorry.
You wont be able to pick up line or fish efficiently. Certainly not at any distance or even depth.
A bit like using a putting iron to drive a golf ball a long way down the fairway? You wouldn't enjoy the rod and its all about enjoying oneself.
Not sure why compact. Is it for transportation?
I feel the best for compact size for transportation, practicality would be a 3 piece match rod.
If budget is a problem have a look for used.
Research details of rods labelled match rods as that can often mean anything, such as suitable for commercials which means carp mostly and would be too beefy for silvers.

g3kk0

Thanks very much for the advice. So glad I posted here before committing to the spinning rod. In that case I quite like the Cadence CR10 11ft #1 which are out of stock at the moment but hopefully they'll be back soon. Do you have any advice with regards to matching a reel to the above rod? I was thinking of getting a Daiwa Prorex X LT 2500 but wasn't sure about the size. I've also seen some good feedback on the Cadence reels which I'm considering as an option.

John Step

Site Supporter
I think you have made a wise choice. What I forgot to mention in my previous post was that although it is possible to catch fish under your feet in the warmer months with a short rod , the water is loosing its colour now and that wont be the case. They will be further out.
Reels, yes a 2500/3000 size would be good for an 11 ft rod . Being a Daiwa the quality will be good. I have a couple of back up reels kept in the car which are Daiwa sweepfire 2500. Cheap as chips and to be honest they are nice little reels with a good drag. I would be happy using them fulltime float fishing,

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Add the 10' Garbolino Essential Match Carp to your shortlist. I've not used that particular rod. However, I do have the suspiciously similar Altima predecessor. It was labelled as "Match 10' Medium", no mention of carp at all. The line ratings on both rods appear to be just the same and they look remarkably similar, albeit with a different colour scheme. It's not an ultra light action, but it's not a brute either.

Another that I've never clapped eyes on, but meets the 10' and less criteria and seems to be well regarded by owners, is the Browning Carp King 10' F1 Micro Waggler. They also do a similar 9' Carp King Micro Waggler rod but it appears to be a touch more powerful.

I'm not making recommendations for any of the above, but there is no harm in looking at them if possible.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Personally I would look at rods from 11ft-13ft as they would give you more versatility, I have handled the 10ft garbolino that Chris mentions above and can confirm it is a very nice rod but may be a little limiting in casting distances and depths that can be fished comfortably so unless you can categorically say you will be fishing at closeish range and in depths of no more than around 8ft it may not be for you. If you don't want to spend a fortune have a look on eBay at the Frenzee 13ft FXT pro's you can get these very cheaply from one retailer at the minute, I got one for £6 +the pp just to see what they were like. As a general purpose float rod that will not break the bank they are fine. Ok they are not top quality but if it is for occasional use they are perfectly fishable. They are light enough ( probably somewhere around the 175 grms ), the action is ok not to powerful nor to sloppy and the fittings are adequate. If you can win one for less than £30 all in then happy days. Does the one I have compare well to many other 13ft float rods that I have in some cases yes but in many no however it cost me £17 and it does the job would I choose it over say my £275 Rive R waggler ...that would be a no but it compares well with other sub £100 13ft float rods

g3kk0

Thanks for all the responses and great advice I really appreciate it.

As suggested I've switched my focus to finding something better suited to the type of fishing I'm looking to do. With that in mind I really like the look of the Shimano Aero X1 which for the price seems very reasonable. This rod appears to have many models and I'm unsure which one to choose (see attached image). As previously mentioned I'm mostly going to be fishing silvers so was thinking the AEX1PW11 (prefer the 11ft over the 13ft) with a 15g casting weight would be a good choice? The thing that concerns me about this option is when I come to use a plummet to find the depth I'll be casting with weight very close to the max.

Attachments

• 2021-11-16_16-21.png
    2021-11-16_16-21.png
    138.2 KB · Views: 3

Simon R

Site Supporter
For the price I don't think you can improve much on the Shakespeare Superteam rods that you mentioned earlier

Personally I'd go for the 11' or 12' - the longer length being more versatile

Simon

John Step

Site Supporter

As suggested I've switched my focus to finding something better suited to the type of fishing I'm looking to do. With that in mind I really like the look of the Shimano Aero X1 which for the price seems very reasonable. This rod appears to have many models and I'm unsure which one to choose (see attached image). As previously mentioned I'm mostly going to be fishing silvers so was thinking the AEX1PW11 (prefer the 11ft over the 13ft) with a 15g casting weight would be a good choice? The thing that concerns me about this option is when I come to use a plummet to find the depth I'll be casting with weight very close to the max.
Whatever you decide, dont become a stranger. Let us know how you get on with it??

nejohn

Site Supporter

If you are focusing on silvers the Pellet Waggler version might not be the best choice as the action will be much more through actioned which is fine for aggressive biting carp on the pellet waggler but not so good for fast biting silver, you may find something with a more tippy action is better for picking up line quickly, also at 200grms for an 11ft rod makes it rather heavy when you consider that even mid range 13ft rods will tip the scales at around 165 grams and things like the Drennan Acolyte, Browning Sphere and Rive R waggler are all in the 120-135 grm range. A general purpose match rod may be a better way to go, it will deal with the odd bigger fish when needed (as long as you take a little care playing it) but would be far better for silvers