Is there a better hook for Bread Punch?

Zerkalo

Than a B511 or a B611 for bagging? I'm going to the tackle shop and probably going to get those patterns but just wondering what other people use?

Arch

Site Supporter
B511 for me. Or similar from another manufacturer.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Was using a B511 this morning for caster and punched bread - fish a chuck, roach, dace and bleak - so I’m happy they work.

Zerkalo

Was using a B511 this morning for caster and punched bread - fish a chuck, roach, dace and bleak - so I’m happy they work.

Glad you had a good day! I'm excited about tomorrow and going to take some maggots as a back up but have set myself a target of 20lb.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I use the B611 for punch but sounds like the B511 is good as well.

Big old target 20lb but given you’ve found your trotting rhythm and fish very long sessions its definitely doable ?. I’d have done it a few times this year if I’d fished as long as do you, you just need a good stamp or a couple bonus fish.

And that does indeed sound like a good session @OldTaff ??

Zerkalo

I use the B611 for punch but sounds like the B511 is good as well.

Big old target 20lb but given you’ve found your trotting rhythm and fish very long sessions its definitely doable ?. I’d have done it a few times this year if I’d fished as long as do you, you just need a good stamp or a couple bonus fish.

And that does indeed sound like a good session @OldTaff ??

Yeah that's the thing. I'm getting there early and plan to fish all day, reckon it will be doable as I did 10lb in 4 hours but that was with 3 bonus fish. Hopefully this 'cold snap' doesn't put them off lol

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Yeah that's the thing. I'm getting there early and plan to fish all day, reckon it will be doable as I did 10lb in 4 hours but that was with 3 bonus fish. Hopefully this 'cold snap' doesn't put them off lol

Yeah I find I can generally do 2 to 3 pound an hour if decent stamp fish are feeding reasonably well.

Will be interesting too see how all the rain and now this cold will effect things. I’m planning on fishing the next couple days but not really sure what to do. Thinking feeder tomorrow as still a bit of breeze around and won’t be long after the rain then Monday I’m hoping to trot as not supposed to be any wind and should have been a couple days without rain by then. But until I see the river, (which I haven’t done in 2 weeks by tomorrow) I wont know for sure. Not even sure which stretch yet literally going to make the call when I go over the first bridge and get a look lol

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Tesco thick toastie bread aint bad for the punch and well cheap too

(Not that I would eat it though)

Zerkalo

I went for Kingsmill Soft White Medium as they didn't have any cheaper loaves I heard are better as being a bit stodgier. All this reminds me of back in the day on the canal I used to cut the crusts off and stick in the microwave a few slices then roll them flat so they stay on the hook better.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I used Tesco medium - happened to have some in the bread bin and it punches really well with my ancient set of brass head punches (Drennan ??)

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
18's,i only had a few tied and after getting snagged a few times used a Drennan wide gape carp size 18 as this was the smallest in my hooklength box, less than ideal , was used for commie fishing.