Is it too late in the year

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Hi guys, just wondering if its too late in the year to try fishing tares? Seed fishing is something l have never tried once and have decided l want to try a new aspect. I fish a few venues with a large head of roach, but targeting the better specimens is very much hit and miss, one is a local canal where there are also dace and occassional chub, and its possible to fish the whip to hand, or the pole, where 8 metres, on most pegs will be more than enough to reach the far side. Boats are alway moored along the far bank so plenty of permenant cover, most of these boats rarely move.
This is one venue l know has lots of big roach over the lb mark
The other main venue is a club lake with lots of roach, but can be very deep, even close to the bank 6ft clse in and upto 12ft at 5 or 6 metre out.
It would also lend itself to fishing tares on the waggler.
So what do you think my chances are of it working this time of year. I have got my hemp and tares ready and waiting, and hope to try this tomorrow, but not expecting great things, but l want to add this skill to my armoury, never too old to learn eh.
Thanks in advance.

Freesolo82

Site Supporter
Its never too late to try hemp or tares, the Roach i fish for will feed on them year round but its not as a good as the summer months when they go crazy for it all day,
In the colder months feed less and try not to go on the hemp line for as long as possible, just keep the bait going in little and often while you fish a different line on maggot or a different bait

IanG1

Site Supporter
I reckon the first Frost's can knock the roach off the tare, not saying it doesn't still catch and I will feed hemp all year around but I would take a few casters as well as a back up plan.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
Cheers guys l will update tomorrow how l get on, fingers crossed.

Simon Walsh

Site Supporter
Remember lots of lads fishing the Weaver in the town centre winter time and fishing hemp. Some cracking catches of Roach

smiffy

Site Supporter
It’s probably the best time. Everything will be falling off the trees,all sorts of seeds. Find the Roach and you will catch on tares. There’s still a few bunches of elderberries on some trees round here,they could be worth a go.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Tares have generally worked for me from early august to late October but that’s not to say I haven’t caught on them as early as may but don’t think I’ve ever had a bite on them as late as November. Seems the first frosts end their effectiveness.