Is it too early...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
... to start talking about the river season? It's still over a month away but...

Where are we going to go etc? Will you be fishing on June 16th or thereabouts?

I won't. I'll miss the start of the season as I'll be on the beautiful Chard Reservoir staying at a nearby campsite for a week or two starting June 12th.

But I am looking forward to the river season, hoping to do more float fishing on the Severn, fishing the little local weir as usual and also working out how I'm going to fish the Teme. I was going to go and have a look at a stretch of the Teme today but it's been raining all day so didn't bother.

There's also that MD match on the Severn I'm hoping to organise if I get a bit of help probably for later in the year, no rush for that I don't think?

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It's never too early! It can't come soon enough with the weather being most unsummer like and the travel restrictions meaning this closed season is dragging big time.

Very unlikely to fish the 16th this year given its midweek. I think last year was the first time I've ever fish the 16th tbh.
Other than being on the Thames I have no idea what I'll do first couple weeks. Generally takes til start of July for the fish to consistently be where they should be (and for hemp to start working properly to avoid the bleak when float fishing!) so those early sessions are usually just exploratory for whatever will feed til the proper fishing can start in July.

In terms of plans for the summer I'm planning to commit most of the time from start of July through to end of September to mostly hemp fishing for Thames roach again. Have got a boat trip lower down the Thames in August that I'll do a bit of general mixed fishing on then hoping to get a trip in to another river in august as well for the same before a week on the Severn end of September where I'll hopefully have time to do all sorts.

Carl t

Certainly been thinking about it alot ,I got given a nice crow quil float from a chap on the Melksham Avon earlier this year, to try out, I have to get some line on the harrier (subject for another post), I need some suggestions where to go, I'm a full-time wheelchair user so need a easy access bank, I'm near Bath so would be grateful of any suggestions around that area. and I would love to try mid Severn or wye one day if possible if any one knows any suitable places?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I guarantee that rain or shine on that Wednesday lunchtime I will be in the bank of the Medway without fail, cannot wait.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I rarely fish the 16th these days , I tend to leave it a week or two to settle down. I missed almost all of the river season last year due to either lockdown restrictions or flood water, so not making to many plans but have promised myself so time on the Monnow and a few sessions on the Wye early season. But I don't make plans these days as there is usually something turns up to kick them into touch so will take my fishing this year and probably the next 2 or 3 years as and when I can. After that I will hopefully be joining the ranks of the retired if all goes according to plan, then I will have time to make plans

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
One things for sure I'll do well to get half as many sessions in as I did last season which I if I recall was pushing 40. If I can do near half that I'll be pretty happy though. Not long now!

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know it's early but I get tunnel vision thinking about it. It's my third season on the rivers since I started fishing again and love the way there are so many different ways of approaching them and not knowing what you're going to catch.

Last year on first day of the season I went to Knowle Sands on the Severn. We thought we got there early at about 3.30am, but the BAA car park was already full. We just about managed to get a space and a peg but it was pouring with rain and the banks were treacherous. We didn't catch anything for the few hours we stayed and judging by reports it took a few weeks for it to start fishing any good for Barbel so I'm not too fussed about being in Dorset this year.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I to love my river fishing, but I've never had to much success the first 2-3 weeks of the season, seems to take a while for the river to wake up. I'm planning on alot of roving to reach the parts I've not fished. Can't wait.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I've put a bait bag with shoulder strap on my shopping list to help with roving or at least walking to the peg as I can see me taking more bait this year to fish different methods on the same day.

Dogbert

I’m looking forward to summer evenings on the Trent, stick float fishing with hemp and tares.

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
I've reinvented the wheel I've fitted octoplus to my old plastic box so bait and bits n pieces in there bought a 2 rod ready bag just the minimum I can get away with, love setting my proper box up and fishing one swim but pushing a trolly and getting over styles and mill bridges is impossible you have to keep unloading carrying then reloading. I've yet to fish about 5 miles of river for these reasons but with the lighter roving set up I intend to cover loads of the club water, you never know I might just loose an oz or two.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
got a two day festival match at Blackwall and Newgate on the Sussex Rother on the 19th-20th, fish one section first day, the other on the second, a 50 pegger, thats booked solid, with a reserve list

the scene of an unexpergated disaster in the Kent championships last year where I might as well not put my keepy in the water, so the only way is up from that

R0B

I genuinely don't know what to do. Originally I was going to do an overnighter on the fens for tench. However, I have already been catching tench at a day ticket/club water and I have now become a member which gives me two more lakes with tench in, plus loads of quiet and local river. On top of this, as soon as I bought my membership, another club got back to me to say they will have a space for me (which I wasn't expecting) so I will have two clubs, comprising of most of the two local rivers and about 6 lakes. If I cannot find something worth fishing for amongst all that then I probably won't catch on the fens either.
So maybe I will go early morning on one of the river stretches instead? if local I could probably prebait a swim or two and do some raking.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I know some people aren't into target setting for various reasons but I have a couple.

Firstly, 20lb of Chub from the Severn. If I can do it on the tiny Worcs Stour then it should be no problem on the right time and place on the Severn and I'm confident of a few fish on a Bread approach.

Secondly, a Barbel on the float. That would be first for me.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
It is a bit early to be planning as the rivers I fish are frequently flooded around the middle of June with the thunderstorms that often show up about that time but we are due a drought so you never know :p

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
I won't be going on the 16th, maybe a week or so later. Have my first ever river match on the Trent on the 17th July organised by Gixer13 so need to have a few trial runs. Desperately need to christen the two Korum Barbel rods I bought last year and haven't been able to use. :cry: Must re-read Northantslad's guide to barbel fishing to refresh my memory. There is a unformed plan to fish the Worcs Avon and of course there is your match on the Severn whenever it may be.(y)

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
Think I will leave the rivers alone until a bit later in the year. A drain tench of 8lb plus is my target for this year.