Is It The Weather Or Is It .........????

Status
Not open for further replies.

MALC

Come on everybody it's thinking caps on.

Over the past few months i've noted that on average the fishing localy and further a field has been very hit and miss with some days being total bagups followed by next to nothing (i'm talking managed commercial lakes not natural or flowing).

Now i know the fish switch off for spawning and this causes a down turn in sport and the weather must play some part in thing's.
But i've noticed that there seem to be more off days now than a few years ago.

And yes you've guessed it i've got an opinion on another factor thats starting to deaden the sport.

When i look back to the days of The Closed Season i can remember 90% of sessions were good one's with the odd duffer thrown in just to keep us on our toe's.
But now we can fish all year round and localy i'd say 90% do it seem's to me that the fishing is going down hill.

And i've started to think that the pressure the fish are now being put under has a lot to do with it, be it the amount of anglers on the bank, the amount of bait we all chuck at them and the continued recaptures i think all these are now starting to tell on the fishing.

So come on what's the fishing like in your areas and what are your view's on the reasons why if it is slower than in previous years.

Reason's other than i'm c###

And if your fishing is better where do you live

P.S.
Don't get me wrong i'm not shouting for a close season as i fish all year round and will continue to do so.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Dai Fish

Site Supporter
Hi Malc, I agree that the fishing has been very hit and miss since the carp spawned on the lake that I do a lot of my fishing on, my thoughts have been that the carp have probably been filling up on the spawn and not on our bait, on saying that I fished the lake today and had over sixty pounds of fish, one thing that I have noticed since the carp spawned is that the baits that were baggin up before spawning are now only catching small numbers of fish, I have changed to cat meat which is a bait I have never used before until two weeks ago and I am catching fish whilst people useing the normal bait for the lake are haveing a hard time of it.

Dai Fish

scott essery

'Silver man'
Malc

Good point. On the really heavily fished waters like Boarder and cudmore the catches have been peggy and generaly very por, but the lesser fished venues lke Izaak and Halles Hall fair much better.

i do think CARP are to blame. very tempromental and sensitive to weather changes. the weathers been awful of late, no consistancy and combined to carp only puddles under huge pressure then that may be a reason?!???

teepee

12/04/02 - 10/01/19
In Memoriam
Good topic this, nice one Malc.
commercial waters mainly carp,
lets first of all remove the things we cant do anything about,
1.Weather, in this country we will allways have indifferent weather, and we all no that it effects fishing sometimes for the better but we only blame it when we dont catch,we cant do anything about it only put your umbrella up or the hood on your jacket, we've all said it, its too hot, its too cold, need i go on.
2. spawning, if they want to spawn thats what they will do, and they dont want to feed, what would your mrs. say if half way through sex you stopped for a sandwich.(dont answer that).
3.fish shoal up in certain pegs,you will allways get better swims than others, you no the flyers, now if your pleasure fishing theese are the pegs to sit on.

above are the things we cant do anything about. its nature.

so now lets look at what we control.
1.how we fish. e.g. pole,feeder/bomb,wagler,
they are all covered by one important factor presentation, now if you're on that flyer its not so important, but if your not...everybody hears of big weights and think heavy lines big hooks heavy elastics, got to get them in quick. Wrong! four carp at 3lb. every hour in a 5hr. match 60lbs enough to get you in the frame, my point being 4 fish an hour you dont need to rush. so unless you're on snaggy swims or big lump water scale things down, get back to the skill of playing a fish (remember 4 fish an hour)
so instead of .16 .18 & .20 lines try .12 see the difference,the fish can,
dont forget they've been caught a few times. so lighter lines need lighter hooks especialy if you're fishing pellet, pellet is a very light bait it needs to act natural in the water (try Prestons PR28)strong & light. dont forget lighter lines lighter elastic.

2.The other most important thing is bait. do we feed too much too right we do. gone are the days when the more feed you threw at them the more fish you caught. instead of the pot full bait to start with. just pot a 1/4 or less just to put a bit of bait where your float is, then feed little and often a bit like caster fishing. i'll just talk about pellet a bit more (i'll leave the meat to Malc) i'll not go into flavours or anything, but when pellet fishing first took off it was a case of keep shoveling the small pellets in and fish a bigger one on the hook, tell me if this has happened to you you feed the 4mm. pellets stick a 6mm. one on the hook and catch a carp,feed some more 4mm pellets 6mm pellet on the hook another carp RIGHT i'm going to empty it only not to get another bite.
lets turn the tables a bit.if when you were a kid your mum put a plate of buns on the table six small buns and one big one in the middle now you being young and eager took the big one, but as you took it WHAM a clout round the back of head, the next day same again big bun WHAM! the next day you take one of the small ones, nothing happens, get my point,the fish wise up. that big pellet amongst them small ones, so after you've had your couple of fish on the big pellet fish the small one the same as you're feeding. its even got now that thats becoming harder, if you're not catching keep changing the hook bait. still over the pellet try a piece of meat without feeding any meat also corn, catching one fish change the bait.
The fish are wiseing up so should we!
It needs someone to discover that new killer bait.(it could be you)
Another point a carp is a carp is a carp!
the carp lads fish for them at night, could be as theese fish get wiser they become nocturnal feeders.

teepee.

dirk

Site Supporter
Hi Malc, yes this is a very good question, BUT!! In your case, as RED was saying to me the other day. He thinks your inability to catch consistantly, is because your rubbish. And I had to agree wih him, well he is a stuffed toy.

scouse

'River Man'
hi teepee
great thread that, i will take your advice
as i am fishing on hampton springs on sun in a match hope it works lol

dave
scouse

scott essery

'Silver man'
Dirk

Interesting point

As my record at Drayton stands at 3 trips, 2 blanks 1 fish lost 1 landed 1 but Malc hooked it AND ive fished Tara twice, hooked 3 lost 2 landed 1 and blanked then ID LOVE to blame everything bar my abilities.

But RED may have a point!!!!

As for Malc, he blagged his way into winning some cash at the first Bag up match. Can he do it again tomorrow i wonder?

And while on the topic, how many of you fellas are going to try teepees tips at Cudmore tomorrow (Im certainly going to try EVERYTHING and then some!!)

MALC

Dai,
Thats what it's all about trying something the rest arn't thats what gives some people the edge (keep it up).

Scott,
I don't think it's so much the Carp that are the problem, but more us the anglers in the way we find some thing that works then refuse to change or adapt when it starts to slow down.

Dirk,
Yes but i did take the 1 Thursday
so that must mean that your

Teepee,
Some good and valid points and yes a lot of people find something that works well then every body jumps on that bait / tactic and it soon gets to the stage that the only way to catch at a venue is with a certain bait / tactic / style and only a few will try to slightly change one or another bit of it but then it just goes full circle and what was the best bait / tactic soon blows out as everybody is doing it and the fish wise up.

Now over recent weeks i've heard various reasons for the slow sport such as,
The Carp are spawning so wont feed.
The Roach & Bream are spawning and the Carp are only eating their spawn.
The wind is in the wrong direction.
The wind is to cold.
The wind is to strong (mixing cold layers of water with warm).
It's to humid.
I'm fishing to heavy.
I fed the wrong bait.
I fished the wrong swim.

But the one reason that i have not heard and it's the 1 that i think is a major cause of slow sport is that the waters are getting fished to much by to many people and with to much bait!!

With regards to ringing the changes regards feed and hook baits be it size / colour / flavour a good example is thursdays match i fished hooker pellet over pellet feed (3 sizes) but had to keep changing flavour of the hookers to get bite's and in the end i used 7 different flavours and 4 different colours, yet i saw people just stick to 1 feed pellet and 1 type on the hook and moan at the end as they had caught nothing.

Then you come to anglers abilities some anglers will always shine above the crowd as they tend to be thinking anglers and spend time prepairing bait / feed /tackle or time spent looking and watching whats going on with a venue and learning.

Then the other side of the coin is the guy that hears about someone catching well on a certain bait and so thinks i'll have some of that and away they go to fish the new bait / tactic but then they do no good and rubbish it.
But with a little bit of thought and fine tuning they could have bagged up but instead just go back to the way they've fished in the past as IT WILL WORK because it did once.

I think i've started to wander of the subject so i'll stop there.

Malc
Fish with Friends @ MaggotDrowning.com

Status
Not open for further replies.