Is it still available?

Louis D

Site Supporter
I don't like FB, I use it for looking at fishing stuff. I've only sold a few things on there, I totally agree that it is a lesson in how ignorant so much of society is.

For that reason, we mostly give stuff to charity shops etc usually backfilled by my wife with more from the same places. A worthy cause gets my support e.g. my 7 drawer matchbox with footplate and sidetray went to a work colleague's 11 year old son to replace a deckchair. Even that good deed gave me grief, he was so made up that he insisted on putting it in the living room fully set up to watch telly - mum was not happy. :ROFLMAO:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Facey is what you make of it,

iffin you want to get embroiled with idiots then just reply to them, otherwise just scroll on

Ive had some proper touch's on the selling pages, buying stuff really cheaply and then selling on, yes you get idiots, but that works both ways, they often dont know what they have got or the value of what it is, especially with tools or fishing items

I try to get a phone number on first contact, if they wont give you it, its best to forget them and look elsewhere

typical item the other day, ad said wood for sale, picture showed MDF mouldings, skirting and architraves

answered, about half a day later got a reply, with a phone number, rang, got address, went to view

turned out to be 5.2 metre lengths, of 70mm archs and 150mm skirts, prices for the archs was £3 a length and £4 a length for the skirt, less than a quarter of trade price, I bought what I needed (10 lengths of each), then rang a mate and he went and bought the rest

the seller had untold there, including a load af 150mm shiplap and feather edge boards so made him an offer for some of that too

result was a happy michael and my oppo Alan was chuffed too

IanG1

Site Supporter
Facebook market place is a good place fo disgruntled wives and partners to list the old mans gear when he has p****ed her off.
Landed some good bargains if you pardon the pun and also sold some stuff with zero fees.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Or if you want a woman,
Look for ads saying
"Wedding dress for sale, never worn"
Get the details and go and comfort her .

adriang

Site Supporter
This is the default message that is automatically put there by Facebook, so it encourages the reply..
IMG_6814.jpeg

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
If no one comes to collect it yes it is

R0B

Fishing groups on FB:

"where's good to fish around..(insert where they live)........"

when a picture of a fish is posted: "where did you catch it?"

Whatever happened to doing your own legwork? Not only does FB seem to house a substantial farrago of dunces, many of them purport to be anglers. We're all doomed!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The one thing that bothers me most re FB is the language some people use :eek:

I'm not shy nor a prude, not had a sheltered life, I've been around several blocks, worked on the buildings for years, and the language some people use when writing is atrocious.

I've often said that to write and swear means you have to tell your fingers what to type so if you know it's offensive, there is the filter mechanism - don't type it, but to some it's either a macho kick they have or they truly believe the profanities are part of the English language.

Whisker

Site Supporter
Fishing groups on FB:

"where's good to fish around..(insert where they live)........"

when a picture of a fish is posted: "where did you catch it?"

Whatever happened to doing your own legwork? Not only does FB seem to house a substantial farrago of dunces, many of them purport to be anglers. We're all doomed!
That’s my gripe. Half expecting to see posts such as:

“I’ve just bought some new shoes, does anyone know how to tie shoe laces?”

“My Mum says now I’m 43, I have to start making my own breakfast. Does anyone know how to make toast and what’s the best butter out there…?” 😳🤦🏻

Last edited:

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
“My Mum says now I’m 43, I have to start making my own breakfast. Does anyone know how to make toast and what’s the best butter out there…?” 😳🤦🏻
s**t! I'm 53.... Is Lurpack still ok? Mum doesn't know anymore she's mad as a box full of frogs...

chris1967

Site Supporter
You upper class folk with all ya lardy da talk of butter , what’s up with good old margarine spreads straight from the fridge :)

MartinWY

Site Supporter
The one thing that bothers me most re FB is the language some people use :eek:

I'm not shy nor a prude, not had a sheltered life, I've been around several blocks, worked on the buildings for years, and the language some people use when writing is atrocious.

I've often said that to write and swear means you have to tell your fingers what to type so if you know it's offensive, there is the filter mechanism - don't type it, but to some it's either a macho kick they have or they truly believe the profanities are part of the English language.
I agree but I also get incredibly annoyed by "text speak". There are people with very low levels of intelligence and whilst it can be excused by all manner of socio-economic factors, how they function on a daily basis is a thought I often struggle to process.

or roughly translated

dun disgre spk s**t gt angry, no fam smarts cuz i dun need da coin coin, day wunna wrk hrd now, is hard think.

Total

Site Supporter
I've been around several blocks, worked on the buildings for years, and the language some people use when writing is atrocious.........
Several blocks??

"You've done more laps around the block than Sterling Moss did at Silverstone!":p;):ROFLMAO:

derwentboy

Site Supporter
Lots of pros and cons with facebook, I've had some super cheap (old) gear off there but I have to admit I've never sold anything on there. When we wanted to get rid of a load of stuff from the house we gave a lot of household stuff away free e.g. a pair of Ikea shelves etc When it goes up for free my word you don't half get an avalanche of messages. I just say it is on the front drive and the first to get here can have it...but it is a quick way to get shut of stuff and can save a trip to the tip/charity shop The best one though is when we have listed stuff for free and people have asked us will we deliver!??cheeky bar stewards

Billy the fish 1954

Use a local seek and sell, works a treat sold all my unwanted/ bought under the influence during lockdown, all done for me by my daughter, rubbish you buy at 3am while having a couple of large Jamo’s and ice

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Freecycle is a total pain in the backside. You put stuff on there to get rid of it quickly and easily. I can assure you there is nothing easy about it. I used to put items on there and you immediately get 100 or more emails. A lot say things like could you pop over with it so I can have a look at it? Can I pick it up a week on Wednesday? Could you take 15 measurements for me? Could you email photos? And some of them are just rude. I would just pick the first one which politely said I would really like this, I can collect it now. Once you have listed it as taken you continue to get messages for days afterwards.

Everything goes to the charity shop now.

Simon R

Site Supporter
We have a local facebook group called "FREEBIES TEESSIDE" which as the name suggests is where people bung stuff they want shot of or request things they need. There's a certain etiquette when you want something though - you don't ask for it - you ask to be considered for it - so for something popular you'll get a whole bunch of messages:

Please can I be considered x thank you x

Please can I be considered xx

Please may my little boy be considered xxx

Please could I be considered x

I got told off by admin for not considering people - I just told the first guy who messaged me to come get it - but apparently that's not fair
And then of course you get the people who not only want something for nothing but also want free delivery

Just wondering if I could be considered for a fridge freezer or even a under counter fridge as my has stopped working & theres 2 adults & 2 children age 7 & 5 to feed. I'm also 25 weeks pregnant (can show proof of this if needed) thanks in advance. As close to thornaby as possible as I don't drive & also isolating.

There are 28 rules specified for the group - they run to about six pages - for instance anybody asking for baby clothes / wedding outfits / school prom dresses etc must send proof
The mind boggles :p

Simon

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
In fairness to freecycle there are also some really nice people on there as well. Same as there are nice people on facebook as well as morons.