Is it still available?

Louis D

Site Supporter
Why is it that when you put something up for sale, the idiots come out. Posted some stuff for sale on FB, hadn't even put a rod back in its tube when PING - "Is this still available?" Yes, says I and that's the last I hear. This happened on 3 or 4 items and sometimes multiple times. Fortunately not everyone is like that and some people actually buy things but, my god, its hard work. I know some people buy and sell tackle as an income but selling off my old stuff is plenty enough experience for me.

So the question is, do I just attract them or is this the general experience?

OldTaff

Site Supporter
General experience - we have it a lot on kids stuff that Jacob has grown out of, annoying but that’s the way it is on marketplace

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
It happens because Facebook has or did have an 'is it still available button', not sure if it still exists but I have pressed it inadvertently on some occasions by accident, has nothing to do with idiots or morons and I have sold many more things on marketplace than ebay and paid no fees, bonus.

satinet

Site Supporter
The other side of that coin is sellers who list stuff then don't respond to messages when you ask if you can buy it or indeed if it's available.

Or sellers with crappy pictures and no description (eBay!).

MartinWY

Site Supporter
Why is it that when you put something up for sale, the idiots come out. Posted some stuff for sale on FB, hadn't even put a rod back in its tube when PING - "Is this still available?" Yes, says I and that's the last I hear. This happened on 3 or 4 items and sometimes multiple times. Fortunately not everyone is like that and some people actually buy things but, my god, its hard work. I know some people buy and sell tackle as an income but selling off my old stuff is plenty enough experience for me.

So the question is, do I just attract them or is this the general experience?
Because facebook is packed to the brim with people who lack basic intelligence, common sense and social skills. It's a veritable melting pot of idiocy. Present company excepted.

Since the recent changes to ebay, meaning I wont use it, everything I'd have needed to sell is getting donated in some form or another. I really do hate facebook and all it represents, that much.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
That's what pees me off - you message to ask about it and get no reply - if it's sold, take down the chuffin advert, not rocket science issit

OldTaff

Site Supporter
On the up side for FB you do get some kit on there at vastly lower prices than you would on eBay, wouldn’t have half the stuff I do without it.

nomorelongwalks

Mark Spitz
Site Supporter
FB Seller, For sale(insert any item)collection only WILL NOT POST.
FB Ejit, Will you post?? 😖

FB Seller. For sale (insert any item) £40
FB Ejit, How much is it ?? 😖

FB Seller, For sale (insert any item) collection only from Manchester (or insert any other part of the country).
FB Ejit, Where abouts are you?? 😖

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Haha, I did once see a photo for a load of paving flags for sale on FB and in the background was a patio gas bottle, so I messaged and asked if the bottle was available :)
It was and I was given it (y)

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Don't use FB marketplace too much effort for too little genuine interest. Had quite a bit of success with Gumtree. I realise that a lot of my old stuff- though well maintained, in good nick, and well priced, is not going to sell - so I've found a charity for disabled kids angling that is keen to collect the kit from me. TBH I need the space

Sometimes I forget that FB membership starts at age 13 (or less) and that it is full of bored pranksters as well as those with the IQ of a method feeder

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Not defending the idiots here but, I’ve sent a message, the seller has sent one back and then for some strange reason I’ve not been able to respond. 🤷‍♂️ I can’t do with faceache to be honest. Stuff all over the place.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Don't use FB marketplace too much effort for too little genuine interest. Had quite a bit of success with Gumtree. I realise that a lot of my old stuff- though well maintained, in good nick, and well priced, is not going to sell - so I've found a charity for disabled kids angling that is keen to collect the kit from me. TBH I need the space

Sometimes I forget that FB membership starts at age 13 (or less) and that it is full of bored pranksters as well as those with the IQ of a method feeder
Respect mate. Well done you. 👍

Dicky Bird

Site Supporter

Do you have a name and contact details for the charity? I’ve got some tackle i’d like to donate too

Jimpanzee

Site Supporter
My wife sold quite a few unwanted items before we moved house a few years ago. Price agreed in advance but we still had a couple of morons haggling on the doorstep - the 2nd time it happened I just closed the door on them and told them it was no longer for sale.